• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A really well done article using the current Guilty Gear Strive beta as the focus.

arstechnica.com

Online fighting games during COVID: How rollback helps us connect

We played Guilty Gear Strive's online beta to see how its netcode holds up.
I watched a match between fighting-game commentator and streamer Sajam, who is in Long Beach, California, and Footsies developer HiFight who lives in Japan. The ping stayed a steady 124ms, and the rollback frames never went higher than 3. The matches on Sajam's end looked very smooth. We'll see more reports as the beta opens to more people, but the early word seems consistent, Arc System Works did the netcode right.

YBvRKiI.png

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
I love how during his stream viewers kept asking "How's the netcode?!" And Sajam's response was esssentially Guys, this stuff's 10 years old. It ain't a mystery how good it is.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
At this point, it's only Bamco & SNK who are the holdouts regarding rollback netcode, right? And even SNK's starting to dip their toes in the rollback waters as of recently.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I hope people will stop believing that PR bullshit of Harada "Tekken got rollback" once they see how it really works.

The silence of SNK on what necode they'll use for KoFXV is also not a good sign.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
gonna be that guy; be sure to wire up to get (and give) the best possible experience (please!)

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Its wild seeing people surprised by how good the online could be when everyone was trying to tell them for more than a decade

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Its wild seeing people surprised by how good the online could be when everyone was trying to tell them for more than a decade
Not really wild. Rollback name got unfortunately tainted by SFV crappy implementation, not to mention Harada disinformation about what it really is.

And people ignore the games with immaculate online like KI and Skullgirls.
If people don't like the feel/look of a game, immaculate online won't make it popular.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not really wild. Rollback name got unfortunately tainted by SFV crappy implementation, not to mention Harada disinformation about what it really is.

If people don't like the feel/look of a game, immaculate online won't make it popular.
Rollback probably would've had more attention much sooner if Capcom wasn't such garbage a couple years ago. The back to back of SFV having a terrible launch with faulty rollback and Marvel Infinite despite having the fixed netcode in general giving a terrible impression of the game basically set us back a couple of years. If Strive actually gets JP devs to care about Rollback then Strive might be the most impactful FG we've gotten in generations. Probably since SFIV

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Directors and developers of fighting games would have surely known about it either way and just didn't bother. There were definitely some "we'll just keep doing it our way because it sells either way" vibes.

OP
OP
QisTopTier

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite thing from the beta is seeing people close having a roll back of 0 frames. So freaking good. The rollback in AC+R was amazing too. Good netcode just makes playing fighters so god damn fun again.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
People can't stop asking how's the rollback on every stream last night.

It's like people think SFV is the norm and not the exception.

Though to be fair, there was always a chance...

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Though to be fair, there was always a chance...
Absolutely there was. I had ZERO faith in Arcsys doing good netcode even if it was rollback and had a finger on the trigger ready to cancel my Steam pre-order of the game depending on the reports of the netcode.

And I'm glad to say I am keeping my pre-order. Arcsys did it.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this is finally the seachange high profile entries in this genre have desperately needed for many, many years now. And I hope fighting games with poor online netcode get deservedly maligned moving forward. It's been fucking awful for too long now.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I hope Michael Murray is watching all this. Likely he'll be the sole head honcho for tekken 8 and on god I need it to have actual rollback. They did very very well with the last update, but it can be better

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I helped Aurich with this testing. Smooth as hell between his SoCal home and my Seattle apartment, hovering in the 0-1 frame rollback range.

Also, I beat him in three games straight, which he fails to mention in his article for some reason.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely there was. I had ZERO faith in Arcsys doing good netcode even if it was rollback and had a finger on the trigger ready to cancel my Steam pre-order of the game depending on the reports of the netcode.

And I'm glad to say I am keeping my pre-order. Arcsys did it.

The reason I wasnt too worried was

1) one of the netcode developers from KI Iron galaxy was working on Strives netcode implementation (and had been pushing for rollback internally for a while)

2) they weren't setting up region barriers for this beta. Turning it loose with the FGC notables from all over the world a day early and no restric was a sign of confidence

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Man I hope ArcSys gloats like hell during the incoming FG Roundtable. Light some fires under their asses. I voted with my wallet and preordered. First Guilty Gear I plan to play beyond mashing level. I feel like people from other fighters might come over too just because the netcode is seemingly really good.