• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
Yeah I would imagine, if the existing stories are accurate, that Nintendo/Activision killed the remake in 2007 and then EON killed the chance of it being in Rare Replay in 2015.

The former isn't an issue now but the latter certainly is.

Not sure how much EON would make from an official release but given the close to zero investment cost on their side, now would be as good a time as any to help chip away at some of the money No Time To Die is haemorrhaging on a monthly basis.

Combined with a bunch of adults, sitting at home due to the pandemic, who are rife for nostalgia-fuelled pillaging - it's a no brainer.

I keep praying to Crom it releases officially

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yet Perfect Dark came out on the 360

i don't think Nintendo had any say in PD. Rare took the Ip with them when they were bought out by Ms and the original game was published by Rare on n64 as part of a new distribution agreement Nintendo and Rare entered into after the success of Goldeneye to allow Rare to publish their own IP (Jet Force Gemini falls in this camp as well)

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I would imagine the relationship between Microsoft and Nintendo is very different today. Hopefully some day we can see an official release.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Hi from the author of this cited Ars Technica interview.

You are so, so, SO wrong. Some parts of the game didn't age well, certainly, but a lot of them hold up. Also, its 4p split-screen one-shot pistol deathmatch feels different than pretty much any FPS console classic I can think of, and I still love it.

Hard agree.

That said, the Perfect Dark remaster essentially offers a better version of the Goldeneye multiplayer even including some of the better maps from Goldeneye.

Yeah, it feels like I can't hit anything. Years of M&K, Wii pointer, gyro, and dual analog aiming have rendered us completely unable to go back to that control scheme.

Hard disagree.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Agree. Perfect Dark is the much better game single player and multiplayer.

I played these not too long ago on my N64 and yeah, Perfect Dark is better in mostly every way.
And for what it's worth, Perfect Dark also doesn't hold up. These games were dated when they came out and the only reason people picked up on them was due to lack of options on consoles for FPS and these games being a lot of people's introduction to the genre. Also four player split screen can be fun if only because you are playing competitive multiplayer with your friends with the four person piece being quite novel.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
The other thing I should point out, which Graslu00 tipped me off to, is that 4J Studios' emulation of N64 joystick movement on PD360 is different than Rare's internal work on GE360. The GE project feels more "mouselike," which matches with how the N64's joystick used a mouse-tracking style mechanism. I could never put my finger on this difference until going down the GE360 rabbit hole, and now I can't unsee it.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
GoldenEye 007 (the reimagination from Activision) on Wii outsold the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions combined in US.
The time exclusivity was much more important, in term of sales performance, than anything you cited for the 360/PS3 versions.

If I recall correctly, the original N64 game being inferior to the XBLA version was the main topic and reason given as to why Nintendo canned both the Wii VC re-release as well as the XBLA remake.
If the Wii version of GoldenEye 2010 ultimately ended up the most successful version of the game due to the time it was a Wii exclusive, then that's fair. Good for Nintendo for that achievement. But exclusivity/sales is a different argument from what was being discussed.

Last edited:

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
If I recall correctly, the original N64 game being inferior to the XBLA version was the main topic and reason given as to why Nintendo canned both the Wii VC re-release as well as the XBLA remake.
If the Wii version of GoldenEye 2010 ultimately ended up the most successful version of the game due to the time it was a Wii exclusive, then that's fair. Good for Nintendo for that achievement. But exclusivity/sales is a different argument from what was being discussed.
We don't know for sure since Nintendo never give a publicly statement but the possible motivation rumored were two: that Nintendo (NCL) didn't like to have the original on Wii Virtual Console when a superior remake was available on 360 (obviously we are talking about sales here) or the more often cited and more probable that Nintendo didn't like to share a pillar of their legacy with another console manufacturer.
In the first case, as I've already pointed out with the previous reply, the situation isn't comparable with the GoldenEye 007 reimagination by Activision that Wii received a couple years later because that one was a ground up effort targeting specifically the Wii (instead of Activision's downports of CoD games on Wii) and was timed exclusive, only later the game was up ported to 360/PS3 but will be forever associated by most with the Wii platform (due to the higher popularity).

The "art of the Nintendeal", as you put it previously, isn't that hard to understand.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I recently played it on emulator and I didn't think it aged. It's surely different from modern games, but certainly not less enjoyable. I hope this remake will eventually release, even if it has to leak.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
This is not surprising. i think you guys forget how competitive the gaming industry was during that time. I mean it still is but Things have changed a lot