• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Isn't the issue now moreso with MGM being the rights holder despite the new relationship between Microsoft and Nintendo for a remake?

I imagine if Rare Replay did make its way over to Switch, it would be a good sign the N64 games would be added to a new Switch release and patched in for Xbox players
MGM could block it. Nintendo could block it. MS could block. The matter is no less complicated now than it was then. If Nintendo maintains it is their game and they don't want it elsewhere, then nothing is going to change.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Lol i know back then that iwata was responsible of this. He found that golden eye 007 is a nintendo game and should stick this way. I completly agree on this. I'm glad that it wasnt released. (As the deal was that the wii should have a golden eye virtual console version which wpuld be worse than the remaster one)

giphy.gif

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
MGM could block it. Nintendo could block it. MS could block. The matter is no less complicated now than it was then. If Nintendo maintains it is their game and they don't want it elsewhere, then nothing is going to change.
Well we have MGM putting themselves up for sale too which could complicate it a bit too.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But two banjo games came out in whats 2008? What made the difference with goldeneye?

Purchasing rare would have included the i.p. rights to Banjo, where nobody could tell Microsoft what they could or could not do with the i.p.

Nintendoput pressure in Activision (the current rights holder to bond videogames at the time) to nix the original Goldeneye remaster/port efforts, perhaps in part because they were doing their own golden eye branded game for wii

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Interesting news, I wonder if it would be possible to revive the project?
It seems like Nintendo and Microsoft's relationship is more collaborative lately.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'm really hoping something gets figured out. The game really needs to be made available.

The movie holds up well too.

Last edited:

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017

Oof, that's unfortunate. Maybe enough executive heads have changed since then that are more open to this kind of release, but I guess the safest bet is for anyone to not hold their breath and be pleasantly surprised if anything changes.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
The Bond rights are in different hands now; it's not as if the parties involved can just pick up where they left off in 2007.

To be fair, IOI, being (technically) an independent developer with good relationships with both Microsoft and Nintendo, probably would be extremely open to all parties working together to get this figured out.

And it's not like games that were originally made by Rare and published by Nintendo haven't been seen on Xbox, Rare Replay included both Banjo games, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, and Blast Corps.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Why did MS waste time making that game if they didn't have Nintendo's full approval is the real question
Having nearly everyone on board still means you don't have everyone on board

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, IOI, being (technically) an independent developer with good relationships with both Microsoft and Nintendo, probably would be extremely open to all parties working together to get this figured out.

Right, but we don't know if IOI has the same deal with the Bond IP that Activision had back in 2007. As far as we know the current license arrangement has 0 movie involvement.

Why did MS waste time making that game if they didn't have Nintendo's full approval is the real question

Because they, allegedly, didn't need Nintendo's greenlight to release the game. It was Nintendo going to Activision that apparently killed the project.

Jan 4, 2018

They say it will never release.

Do you think your GoldenEye remaster will ever release?

CT:
No. It's definitely not going to happen.

ME: I don't think it will, no.

They also say that they were 30 people working on Perfect Dark Zero (Single-player, Co-Op, Multiplayer) with 75% of the team being new.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, if Iwata had to pressure Activision into killing the project, then doesn't that mean Nintendo has no rights to the game?

I always wondered why Microsoft seemingly got the rights to all* of Rare's games from Nintendo except for Goldeneye.

*obviously not dk stuff

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
With all of the attention on this thing now, one of three things are going to happen:

1. The closer to final build will get leaked
  2. A deal will be worked out to get an official release
  3. Both of the above

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
With all of the attention on this thing now, one of three things are going to happen:

1. The closer to final build will get leaked
  2. A deal will be worked out to get an official release
  3. Both of the above
Yeah there are more eyes on this now that a playable build is out there. On the plus side if none of these things happen, the game is out there and easy to run on PC.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, if Iwata had to pressure Activision into killing the project, then doesn't that mean Nintendo has no rights to the game?

I always wondered why Microsoft seemingly got the rights to all* of Rare's games from Nintendo except for Goldeneye.

*obviously not dk stuff

To be fair, Nintendo never really owned most of Rare's games to begin with. It was just Banjo, Killer Instinct and Blast Corps that they co-owned. Stuff like PD, Jet Force and Conker were always fully owned by Rare.

I imagine that they gave up their shares in those IPs to Rare as goodwill, as well the cold harsh truth in that they weren't going to do anything with them anyways.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

*obviously not dk stuff
Goldeneye is a licensed game. A re-release of it isn't so straight-forward. Especially since Microsoft never had the license to begin with.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Rare/MS took ownership of those IP (Perfect Dark, Banjo, etc.), while Nintendo retains their ownership stake in GoldenEye.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah there are more eyes on this now that a playable build is out there. On the plus side if none of these things happen, the game is out there and easy to run on PC.
Downside to that is that people will have to learn the file structure and figure out how to mod it to fix the remaining texture and graphical issues. If the three minuted before cancelled build leaks, then it's just bug fixes they'd have to worry about, if they worry about them at all.

SickNasty

Mar 18, 2020

Sounds a lot like 'it should be fine' writ large.
It probably didn't take that long anyway, and was some good training for some people.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
This is honestly ridiculous. Nintendo might own part of the game, sure, but it's not Nintendo's IP. There is nothing to protect here. They should just agree to finish this up and release it on Xbox, PC and Switch with cross-play multiplayer.

Yuli Ban

Feb 1, 2021
Oh I'm aware. I just find it an ironic line in retrospect.

Especially since the Bond license isn't even Nintendo's; just that particular game.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It made sense that Nintendo blocked it considering the gulf in power between the 360 and the Wii. They were going to get the inferior version no matter what. It sucks for anyone looking forward to it, but that's just how the industry rolls.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I have always been a huge Nintendo fan, but this pissed me off so much. I wanted this game more than anything when I first heard about it.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Probably someone in an Executive Producer role at Nintendo, like Tanabe or Miyamoto (at the time). They oversee multiple projects and put a lot of trust in their teams to make decisions in their absence (when their focus is elsewhere), but ultimately have final say on just about everything related to the projects/teams under them. It could be a team of Nintendo producers thought it was a great idea, then got shut down when they brought it to the EP.

(source: believe me or not, but I briefly worked at a studio collaborating with Nintendo and got to know how their teams operated to some extent)

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
What were these standards?

He wanted a port on Wii that could share some graphical parity vs the decently upgraded 360 version.

You can google my name and a certain site that shall not be named and easily go look at the mood at the time it happened if the topics are still around. He also aludes to this in certain nintendo ask or interviews of the time, granted the sites actually still have them up.

even without this he was hugely against nintendo products elsewhere.

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
Some people here being very transparent with their fanboyism here...
I'd love to see it happen eventually, this pressuring it to happen would be amazing but very unlikely.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Surely this be could be worked out today for a quick and dirty port to both Switch and Series X|S with crossplay right?

I really wouldn't be surprised if we see this later this year or early next.

This Goldeneye remaster being released for Series X|S and Switch with crossplay is probably my #1 video game dream right now.

Would be amazing. I mean, the game is basically done, surely they can find someway to appease everyone and get this released.

McQueeno

Nov 7, 2019
The rights entanglement that is GoldenEye 007 really is unprecedented, but I still maintain that the odds for an official release of the XBLA version are better than ever. While we don't have any true insight into their relationship outside of the inclusion of Banjo and Steve in Smash, Nintendo and Microsoft *appear* to have a decent relationship. Plus, if you're MGM/Broccoli & Wilson (Bond rights holders), I think you'd be exploring any potential opportunities to offset the chunk of cash you're losing every month by sitting on No Time to Die.

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't a copy (albeit password protected) of GoldenEye 007 XBLA found in the Nintendo Gigaleak stuff?