• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Also, to each their own, but to specfically cite two of the game's most praised aspects as the reasons you're not sure about it intriguing to me.

I guess I should clarify that the art I find off-putting is the character art they show during the dialogue parts. It's too anime-y for me. If there's not a tremendous amount of that, or I can button mash my way through it to skip it, that would be fine. The art during combat looks nice enough.
Cyberpunk is a genuinely good game if experienced on the XSX or a PC.
Or on Stadia.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I hope 2021 is a stronger year with more big titles dropping.
Why do I keep seeing this sentiment? 2020 had so many big titles released and many came out very well. There were a number of smaller games and surprises as well. I think 2020 is going to be looked back at as a very good year for videogames. Considerably better than 2019 for me and close to matching 2018.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
If you play Cyberpunk 2077 on a pc you're playing a pretty good game.

Doesn't the PC version still have busted NPCs, lousy traffic AI, and so on? Besides better graphics more stable performance, isn't the PC version still a mess (albeit a prettier one)?

This is a legit question and not rhetorical because I don't game on a PC and am genuinely curious.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Doesn't the PC version still have busted NPCs, lousy traffic AI, and so on? Besides better graphics more stable performance, isn't the PC version still a mess (albeit a prettier one)?

This is a legit question and not rhetorical because I don't game on a PC and am genuinely curious.
Yeah. PC version is broken and incomplete in all those ways. It just runs better than the console versions.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk over Spelunky 2 and TLoU II is.. yeah, puzzling lol. Even the best version (PC) had broken AI and plethora of bugs. Personally i'd keep that one off any lists until Complete Edition/re-release with all updates and DLC's is out.

Too bad i can't play Alyx and i feel like i'm missing out amazing game here. Hades is great btw, these goty awards from popular sites will boot the sales. At this point is no brainer for Supergiant Games to port the game to all platforms.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018

That's not the type of game it is. If you play it like GTA then yes you will be underwhelmed. The open world NPCs are set dressing and the policing system sucks. Traffic is simple but works fine enough. If you play it like an open world RPG, it is astounding. Basically you can choose to break the game if you want but I don't understand why anyone would be playing it that way in the first place.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

I feel it comes down to your playstyle and what you want from the game. If you are playing for handcrafted narrative experience, it's excellent. If you want to just wreak havoc open world as your playground, there are far better games for that. If you're person who could enjoy Mafia 3 for it's atmosphere and storytelling, Cyberpunk isn't any worse atleast. But yes civilian AI sucks which will hurt the immersion the game otherwise achieves really well and the city doesn't feel very busy because of low traffic. My playstyle doesn't involve interacting with nameless NPC:s, so their AI doesn't really affect my enjoyment beyond being a reminder that the game was released too early. It doesn't interfere with the gameplay or storytelling, which both I'm currently enjoying. Hades is GOTY though, it nails down every aspect.

Last edited:

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
I guess I should clarify that the art I find off-putting is the character art they show during the dialogue parts. It's too anime-y for me. If there's not a tremendous amount of that, or I can button mash my way through it to skip it, that would be fine. The art during combat looks nice enough.
For me it's actually the gameplay that doesn't look that interesting to me.
But who knows, I might give it a chance if the "rest" of the game, especially the story, is that good.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah. YMMV, Cyberpunk does just enough right that some people were bound to enjoy it... but the game has far deeper issues than just its performance and stability. I played the PC version for a little while and the game I've been playing doesn't even come close to most of the other games on this list.

laikalot

May 30, 2020

Or on Stadia.

In that case, there's far more combat than dialog. You can also quickly advance the dialog if you're not into it.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017

The sandbox is lacking but it has other really good qualities. I'm not here to claim it's a GotG but people shouldn't be surprised to see it on someone's list. It still has a lot to offer.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
All the accolades Hades has gotten has definitely put it on my list even though I'm not crazy about rougelikes usually.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

And the file save corruption? I mean. when the dev tells you to not craft as much in the game to prevent the file corruption you know it's a shit game.

I stopped playing on my PC till they get this shit sorted.

What's the old saying, "a late game is eventually good; a rushed game is forever bad"?

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
NPCs with working AI and schedules are pretty standard in RPGs. Same with working guards and faction hostility for things like stealing. No idea why you're bringing up GTA.
Are there really a lot of games that treat looting as stealing? Even Witcher 3 only did it with some guards, you could still rummage through people's houses without them paying any mind. I think it's the same for Bioware games? Deus Ex? I legit can't remember, I've played some games like that though. I guess Bethesda has stealing mechanic. But in Bethesda games (Skyrim atleast) you can put a bucket on the shopkeepers head and then they don't "see" you stealing shit. But it's pretty stupid right? How the hell doesn't a shopkeep react when customer puts a bucket on their head. I'd probably remove it immediately myself and ask the patron to leave my store for not respecting my personal space.

Last edited:

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
There is a lot of genuinely good stuff in CP77, but it's so obviously overshadowed by bullshit corporate practices that you would never think it was there.

acebeam

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 23, 2020
Cyberpunk is a genuinely good game if experienced on the XSX or a PC. There is definitely something to be said about the state of the game on last gen but people seem to be confusing that and the actual quality of the content.

On PS5 and Stadia too. Despite good performance on current-gen consoles and PC, it is a still a buggy game.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Even undercooked Cyberpunk is a far greater open world achievement than Ghost of Tsushima or Miles Morales. NPC A.I. in those games is no better, if not worse, and the open world functions as 'set dressing' as well – only they feature far less interesting worldbuilding , attention to detail, and environmental storytelling compared to Night City.

Also Outer Wilds was more deserving of this overwhelming amount of love last year than Hades is getting this year.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Even undercooked Cyberpunk is a far greater open world achievement than Ghost of Tsushima or Miles Morales. NPC A.I. in those games is no better, if not worse, and the open world functions as 'set dressing' as well – only they feature far less interesting worldbuilding , attention to detail, and environmental storytelling compared to Night City.
giphy.gif

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
After playing cyberpunk on my XSX for around 20 hours, I can see why it is on that list. It's just a good package and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

There's nothing spicy about it. CP is an easy mark right now – deservedly so for reasons directly & indirectly related to the game itself – but the vast majority of takes I'm seeing around here clearly aren't from a place of having spent real time with a working version of the game, and/or playing it for what it is.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Cyberpunk might be an easy mark but hundreds of thousands of people on Steam also love it so maybe folks should recalibrate their expectations:

Jan 20, 2019
There's nothing spicy about it. CP is an easy mark right now – deservedly so for reasons directly & indirectly related to the game itself – but the vast majority of takes I'm seeing around here clearly aren't from a place of having spent real time with a working version of the game, and/or playing it for what it is.

Most peopel cant play the game and you are comparing a PC version of the game to other games that actualy run on a 7 year console.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I can agree with that, but I'd still expect people to take bit of an issue with it. Especially considering you compared them to platform exclusives rather than Ubi open worlds in example. Props to you for daring to go against the grain.
Most peopel cant play the game and you are comparing a PC version of the game to other games that actualy run on a 7 year console.
If more people could play the game, you'd see much more of it on GOTY lists and on higher spots too. It's not even on top 10 here. Clearly the shortcomings and unfinished release have affected it's success during GOTY season. So not sure what's the gross injustice here. If it worked on last gen consoles with just worse graphics at 30 fps and otherwise be like on PC/Stadia, it would be picking up actual GOTY wins left and right.

Last edited:

ReggieBC

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Also Outer Wilds was more deserving of this overwhelming amount of love last year than Hades is getting this year.

The game is pure trash. Just falls on stereotypes for any ethnic character. Then you have the trans issues on top of all that. What a disappointment.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
NPCs with working AI and schedules are pretty standard in RPGs. Same with working guards and faction hostility for things like stealing. No idea why you're bringing up GTA.
Because that's what people are pointing to when they say it is broken. People are trying to do GTA like hijinks and then point to the AI not reacting like GTA which is accurate but misleading as that's not this game. I haven't noticed the things you are pointing out but then again I haven't gone looking for AI schedules or expected "faction hostility."

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

Totally. And that's part of what I'm getting at. But just because you had a shit time on base PS4 or One X, doesn't mean someone playing on a good PC or next gen console isn't having a different experience. And vice versa. I've acknowledged several times that the experience I'm having on a Series X doesn't represent the majority.

I can agree with that, but I'd still expect people to take bit of an issue with it. Especially considering you compared them to platform exclusives rather than Ubi open worlds in example. Props to you for daring to go against the grain.

I enjoyed both Spidey and GoT(for a while), but in terms of open world design they stick to that "ubisoft" formula pretty hard.

May 17, 2018

I got 8 hours in before I bailed on CP2077 and requested the refund.

GoT and MM might not have the best worldbuilding but at least they have good combat systems, function properly on every system they can be played on, and weren't sold on lies. Night City is cool and all, but, decent supporting characters and some pretty colors is not enough to warrant a spot on any GotY list, and *especially* not a 2020 list.

Like, honestly seeing it on this list is enough for me to write off Ars Technica for good. They should be embarrassed.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Because that's what people are pointing to when they say it is broken. People are trying to do GTA like hijinks and then point to the AI not reacting like GTA which is accurate but misleading as that's not this game. I haven't noticed the things you are pointing out but then again I haven't gone looking for AI schedules or expected "faction hostility."
Again, these systems have been common to RPGs for ages. It has nothing to do with GTA. Open world games got this stuff from RPGs, not the other way around. Not having them in an RPG in 2020 is ridiculous. The game is broken and incomplete. Also...

None of that has anything to do with the post you are quoting.
The fact that it's a racist, sexist, transphobic shitshow isn't irrelevant.

Oct 27, 2017
Fall Guys top 3? It's great conceptually but I don't think they've nailed the execution, especially when it comes to post launch content.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
The fact that it's a racist, sexist, transphobic shitshow isn't irrelevant.
It is relevant to the conversation around the game for sure. It has nothing to do with the post the user was quoting. Leaning on the toxic bullshit around the game to criticize the mechanical design of the world doesn't further the conversation around either issue.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Super happy to see Hades continue picking up awards.

By liking the game I assume, I think that's how these things usually happen. I'm certain when TheWorthyEdge releases their GOTY list, it includes games they liked this year, rather than games others liked.

Really? Did not know that's how that worked. I'll have to take notes...

Though, I hate to inform you a game that is a literal scam probably won't make it on my GOTY list. For a list that is about 2020's best games, I'm not entirely sure a game like Cyberpunk deserves to be on that list. Maybe a list of 2020's biggest failures, sure.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Really? Did not know that's how that worked. I'll have to take notes...

Though, I hate to inform you a game that is a literal scam probably won't make it on my GOTY list. For a list that is about 2020's best games, I'm not entirely sure a game like Cyberpunk deserves to be on that list. Maybe a list of 2020's biggest failures, sure.
Good to know! Eagerly waiting for your full list.