• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, this actually sounds correct. I think 450 was the BOM and 470 was the estimate retail price. So yeah, 60/80 sounds more accurate.

here is an analysis for xbox one s. thats why ps4pro had a normal bluray drive

"The new console also includes a UHD BD-ROM player, with a bill of materials (BOM) cost of $33.50, versus the previous $18 conventional Blu-Ray drive. "

IHS Markit Teardown Analysis: Microsoft’s Xbox One S Brings Significant Value Gains With Minimal Commercial Pain - Omdia

IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO), a world leader in critical information, provides teardown analysis for the new Microsoft Xbox One S.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly felt even lower to me. My local EB games, as in my entire city (so 3 of em) had zero digital pre orders. The Source in my city as well.
The other major retailers only did online, where the PS5 digital was sold out in, I believe, under a minute.

Can't say I'm happy with the number of digitals they have

Do you mean that they had 0 digital units allocated to their stores, or that no one came in to pre-order any?

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
There must be a pretty significant loss on the digital edition if they're not pushing it hard even with the PSN lock-in.

This is all baseless speculation and has no grounding in any fact whatsoever, but it's possible that they're holding some DE stock back for Black Friday.

399 for PS5 bundled with 1-year of Plus. Combine the price with a trailer for the Plus Collection and that shit will sell.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
That seems about right from the difference in time it took Walmart to sell out of each.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Do you mean that they had 0 digital units allocated to their stores, or that no one came in to pre-order any?
They had 0 digital units allocated. Dude went out while we were lined up and let us know there were no digital units.

The source had none as well.

This is all baseless speculation and has no grounding in any fact whatsoever, but it's possible that they're holding some DE stock back for Black Friday.

399 for PS5 bundled with 1-year of Plus. Combine the price with a trailer for the Plus Collection and that shit will sell.

I don't see this happening if only because it'll sell regardless of any promotion.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Do stores ask for a ratio? Or do they take whatever they can get?

Launch is very profitable with accessories nowadays, not sure there's a big difference in profit for a store selling either SKUs.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Absolutely no reason for them to do that.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Of course they are. This is literally a matter of life and death for the company. In fact I'm surprised that split isn't even wider.

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds about right.

Some have shifted to all digital.. but the majority still wants the option to buy physical especially with the games prices going up they will get a lot of physical games day 1 cheaper than digital.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
It makes sense for the initial shipments to be mostly the disc edition as most people who pre-order and are day 1 buyers are dedicated fans that have the money for it.

Digital edition will be more important in the holiday season and in the long run.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I was in for a Digital Edition as soon as they revealed it, thankfully I was able to get one.

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
To be fare Sony also knows consumer interest more.

Even if split was any other we could not know if people who buy at launch really want DE more.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I saw this coming, disk version is significantly less at launch to offset the loss they're taking more than likely.

The ratio will probably normalize as they get cheaper to make.