• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
Idk, I thought the Season 5 episodes that have been released so far were good. Definitely made a difference to have most of the cast back/to at least not focus on a single character for each episode like in Season 4.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
After that disastrous interview, I just can't bring myself to get excited about a new season.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
Did anybody watch the first half of this season? I have literally not heard a single thing about it, good or bad, since it came out.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'll finish up the season, but the first half was bit of a slog.

The Season 4 Remix really screwed over the editing of the new season and the series has gotten way too plot-driven.

louie

Oct 29, 2017
Let's just get this over and done with. Then we can go back to never talking about it.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised people don't remember that the main plot of the 5th season is that CGI Lindsey tries to become mayor/governor/whatever, and that she recorded all of her scenes in a basement somewhere, to the point that in her rally she has her head covered by a bag or something like that.

Maybe it was junky Sue Storm who replaced her, I don't remember.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed 4, and 5 was okay. Not enough mindless nonsense.

Season 3 was definitely my favorite season. Just all around stupidity, especially Tobias' hair plugs.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am a massive Arrested Development fan and I feel so conflicted about this show now. I absolutely love and adore the original series.
But after the last 1.5 seasons turning out extremely mediocre, the publicized on-set fights, the NY Times interview, Portia de Rossi retiring from acting, the Jeffrey Tambor accusations... IDK.

It doesn't seem like the Netflix series is able to rekindle the magic of the original series.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how I feel about this. I'm definitely going to watch it, at least for Alia Shawkat as she killed it for the first part of this season, but my love for this show is long gone.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I don't know how I feel about this. I'm definitely going to watch it, at least for Alia Shawkat as she killed it for the first part of this season, but my love for this show is long gone.
If you like Alia Shawkat, give her show Search Party a try. I hear it's really good. I want to watch it but I can't find it anywhere streaming and it only aired on TBS.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Season 5 had "Mom's fuckin' cottage" in it which got probably the biggest laugh out of me of the entire 4th and 5.1 seasons combined. I know the newest stuff isn't as good as the first 3 seasons but I still adore the Bluths and want to see how their story concludes (since this is supposed to actually finally be the end).

Edit: I also liked "Cry me a blizzard, snowflake" too. Season 5 had some good jokes. Plus Maebe in the retirement community was amazing.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I laughed more during my short time with Season 5 than I did during the entire stretch of Season 4 but I still couldn't muster the will to finish it.

I still can't believe the small-but-loud collective of people that defend what the show did to Michael's character in Season 4. That coupled with the awful new characters, really took me out of it.

It still hurts.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
I think the duck joke/build up/reveal is the only great moment from season 4, and they even fucked that up with the remix which made the show "better" so I gave up

New arrested development does nothing for me which would be an insane statement a decade ago

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I seriously can't beliebte how awful season 5 was. I really enjoy season 4 (although I saw it knowing it would be different from the first three seasons) and just really don't get how they could make a so incredibly unfunny as season 5.

I'm in the midst of muscling through the doldrums of S2 so I can finally watch The Return. ~.~

Just skip to the last two episodes. There's nothing good in the rest of the second half of season two.

Nov 18, 2017
The recut of season 4 is decent.

The first half of this season had some funny eps and moments. But it's clear production is still an issue with the green screen and huge waits between episodes.

I think people are being waaaaaay too harsh on this show. That being said the final episode of 5.1 was terrible... I believe a 6th season was planned as well, but it seems unlikely now.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Season 5 Part 1 was so bad and there's no reason to believe this will be any better.

Oh well, I'm in this deep hate-watch it is.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I just bought the original three seasons on dvd, I don't really care for these new episodes. I like to pretend they're not really part of the main series but more like fan fiction.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The way Michael cera looks now a days just makes me uncomfortable. I don't know if it's his balding, his awkward body type or what. All I know is watching him on screen is really unpleasant.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I never thought I'd see a day where I am not even slightly excited for, and am in fact definitely not going to watch, new episodes of Arrested Development.

But here we are.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think people give Season 4 enough credit for trying to make something somewhat clever with the shitty hand they were dealt with (i.e. production conflicts, scheduling). Plus, the tail end of Gob and Tobias's arcs were hilarious.

Season 5 (part 1) had everything going for it to be the series "comeback", full interacting cast and all... and yet it manages to be just as unfunny and dry.

Last edited:

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I had heard S5 was better than S4 but judging by the thread it's worse? What's the overall consensus?
It was fucking shit. I don't know how anyone can claim season 5 is better than anything prior to it with a straight face.

Episodes focusing just on individual characters (defeating the whole dysfunctional family theme of the show). Using truly AWFUL green screening to get characters together in the same scene. No thank you.

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
Today I learned that there was a Season 5. Not sure how I let that get past me, but it sounds like I didn't miss much

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
Fortuntately, I can ignore the Netflix seasons and pretend that they never happened.

Now, will you excuse me!

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
awi7DgO.png

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
There was something about half the cast going back and forth from Mexico for reasons?

Buster was missing or something?

I recall S5 making the horrible choice to double down on George Michael still dating Isla Fisher's character. That should have been jettisoned ASAP.

I... think I don't remember the season at all.
I was certain Isla Fisher was not even in season 5, which I did find jarring.

But apparently I invented that, which is somehow even worse.

I just remember really liking the George Michael / Maeby stuff and wanting a spin-off with these two.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
There was something about half the cast going back and forth from Mexico for reasons?

Buster was missing or something?

I recall S5 making the horrible choice to double down on George Michael still dating Isla Fisher's character. That should have been jettisoned ASAP.

Isla Fisher was probably dirt cheap, that why her character came back. With this season being so obviously restricted in terms of budget, they were never going to bring back Terry Crews or Liza Minelli. The Rebel Alley sub plot was the least complicated one to follow up on considering the limited availability of Tony Hale and Portia De Rossi.

Honestly the whole thing feels so half-baked, the Lucille 2 murder and Lindsay's political campaign sub plots are there but the show seems to go out of it's way to draw attention to how poorly they are implemented. Then there is the new angle with Tobias' son, an absolute black hole for humour in the first 8 episodes. They are going to have to pull of an amazing reveal if they are going to make any of that stuff funny retroactively.

Oct 27, 2017
Isla Fisher was probably dirt cheap, that why her character came back. With this season being so obviously restricted in terms of budget, they were never going to bring back Terry Crews or Liza Minelli. The Rebel Alley sub plot was the least complicated one to follow up on considering the limited availability of Tony Hale and Portia De Rossi.

Honestly the whole thing feels so half-baked, the Lucille 2 murder and Lindsay's political campaign sub plots are there but the show seems to go out of it's way to draw attention to how poorly they are implemented. Then there is the new angle with Tobias' son, an absolute black hole for humour in the first 8 episodes. They are going to have to pull of an amazing reveal if they are going to make any of that stuff funny retroactively.
Oh FUCK. I totally forgot about that.

I'm really surprised that some people think the show is going to magically recapture the magic in the second half. As far as I know they were written and filmed at the same time, right? So it's it like they can really change much.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Even as someone who really liked season 4, the first half of season 5 was trash. I felt like I had to force myself to finish it. It was a real bummer especially considering they were pitching it as a return to the style of the first 3 seasons.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I liked S5 more than most here, but I do agree the show has gotten WAY too plot-driven. I don't think anyone other than Mitch Hurwitz has any idea what is going on with any given subplot. And the show constantly needing to recap where we're at in any of these stories feels like more and more of a chore. I still enjoy the character bits in between, but there's stuff like George Michael being in Mexico where I'm like, why is this even happening?

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
One of the big reasons this show fell into oblivion for me at least is that the writers seem focused on making the plot as twisting as possible. Everybody misunderstands everybody else, and half of every episode is a re-telling of the other half from different perspectives to say "here's what ACTUALLY happened!"

The original run of the show did this kind of thing sometimes, and it was great when it happened, but that seems to be all that the show is anymore.

Oct 26, 2017
One of the big reasons this show fell into oblivion for me at least is that the writers seem focused on making the plot as twisting as possible. Everybody misunderstands everybody else, and half of every episode is a re-telling of the other half from different perspectives to say "here's what ACTUALLY happened!"

The original run of the show did this kind of thing sometimes, and it was great when it happened, but that seems to be all that the show is anymore.

Maybe a consequence of trying to adjust to modern audiences' binging sensibilities, not that it's an excuse.