• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Of course, why didn't the lazy driver just deliver more things on Friday so they could have a weekend off, maybe they should have worked all night to deliver and unload the packages so they can earn a rest.
you understand that these companies make realistic delivery dates based on hours a person is legally allowed to drive, traffic and a bunch of other factors right?

Additionally, you're making a shit load of assumptions that are the customers fault, when its actually the companies fault.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
How do you know they made a big deal? They caught him in his lie and didn't threaten him at all, he was the one that called back and said ok i'll be there later.

Calling someone and saying you know their exact location could certainly be perceived as a threat, creepy to say the least.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
"The Army needs to do better. Military families need an advocate/point of contact from the beginning of the PCS process to the very end at their next duty station."

So this is the point of the article above. The Army doing better solves both sides of this issue: the theoretical problem of the driver not having a reasonable amount of free time/compensation/whatever and the Army family gets their shit on time.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Era: Crunch is bad, devs shouldn't have to work 120 hour weeks.

Also Era: Fuck those truck drivers, they can have time off AFTER they deliver my packages.

Y'all showing your asses in here.

You can't just take someone's stuff and ghost them though...

They just didn't show up and she's trying to get information on her items. They should have been delivered but they weren't. This is in no way comparable to crunch.

So this is the point of the article above. The Army doing better solves both sides of this issue: the theoretical problem of the driver not having a reasonable amount of free time/compensation/whatever and the Army family gets their shit on time.

Broadly, I agree. Specifically, the timing is an issue between the driver and the moving company. Lack of communication is also not a good look.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
Its not in the context that he lied to them on where their things were.

I'm going to have to go with still fucking creepy in the context, less so sure, but someone calling you on the phone and saying they are GPS tracking you is fucking creepy af imo.

ColdDeckEd

Jul 25, 2018
Calling someone and saying you know their exact location could certainly be perceived as a threat, creepy to say the least.

Not really considering he lied to them where he was (telling them he was only picking up their things on Sunday, when they were supposed to be delivered on Friday).

If I agreed with you, if you're going to tell white lies, at least make them good. If he had told them he's on the road but conditions were tough, do you think there would have been a story?

OP
OP
Tobor

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Not really considering he lied to them where he was (telling them he was only picking up their things on Sunday, when they were supposed to be delivered on Friday).

If I agreed with you, if you're going to tell white lies, at least make them good. If he had told them he's on the road but conditions were tough, do you think there would have been a story?

Exactly. Had he said "I'm in New Jersey but I am delayed, I will be there on Monday", there's no story.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to have to go with still fucking creepy in the context, less so sure, but someone calling you on the phone and saying they are GPS tracking you is fucking creepy af imo.

They only brought up the location after the driver lied about the situation:
A few hours after that call, however, the truck driver transporting their belongings called to say that he just picked up their shipment in Colorado and the earliest he could get it to them would be Monday.

McNulty knew better. Using her AirTag, she found out that the driver was not in Colorado, but only a half day's drive south in Elizabeth, New Jersey.

"When we brought up the fact that we knew his exact location he hung up on us," McNulty later recalled.
It's not creepy to hold someone accountable for their lies.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York

You're allowed to track your belongings. People track their stuff with movers all the time. Problem is dude got caught lying. Usually it's just "Oh, my shit that I'm tracking from the movers is 2 miles away and closing, sweet!". But when things go missing for a month...shocker people that can track it will and when they are lied to they will call out the bullshit.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
You can't just take someone's stuff and ghost them though...

They just didn't show up and she's trying to get information on her items. They should have been delivered but they weren't. This is in no way comparable to crunch.

Broadly, I agree. Specifically, the timing is an issue between the driver and the moving company. Lack of communication is also not a good look.

The timing window is certainly an issue with the company, likely not the driver's fault, hard to calculate delays and what not on the road and at stops.

Regarding crunch though, the shipping industry has been in a constant state of crunch for the last two years, increased demand and less labor supply have ravaged the industry as a whole. People are being pushed to work harder and longer with no end in sight, just because this is one singular short term project doesn't mean they aren't working dozens of these every week non stop, asking them to abandon time off to meet demands sounds an awful lot like crunch to me.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
You're allowed to track your belongings. People track their stuff with movers all the time. Problem is dude got caught lying. Usually it's just "Oh, my shit that I'm tracking from the movers is 2 miles away and closing, sweet!". But when things go missing for a month...shocker people that can track it will and when they are lied to they will call out the bullshit.

It doesn't seem to have gone missing for a month. Rather, they were quoted that it would take a month.

I agree with you on the tracking.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Another reason I'll probably never user a moving company. My family has a habit of moving every few years and they almost always pack and move themselves. The one time they didn't, something happened to the truck and 70% of their stuff got destroyed. Every family heirloom smashed to bits. Stuff that was 70-80 years old. Grandfather's guitar in pieces. All we've got left is the stuff my parents left with me before they moved. They had to buy all new furniture at their new place and insurance comped 10k.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
The driver literally said he was in Colorado when he was in New Jersey...

And? See what happened when they found out he was closer then that? Had to work on the weekend, people are unreasonable and refuse to accept that service people deserve time off, which was demonstrated here in spades.

Not saying it was right to lie, but it's understandable.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
And? See what happened when they found out he was closer then that? Had to work on the weekend, people are unreasonable and refuse to accept that service people deserve time off, which was demonstrated here in spades.

You keep mentioning "He had to work on the weekend" as if that's something outside the usual. Seems like you have his work schedule, you should really just share it with the rest of us, otherwise it sounds like you're just spewing baseless nonsense out your ass.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
With someone else's belongings they paid to have delivered a month ago? Why not deliver it and take as much time off as they want?

Why don't you do all your work for the year in January and take 11 months off? Wow it's so simple, how could they be so stupid to not just do the job and take as much time off as they wanted afterwards.

RPG

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado

Where in the article do you see any of that information?

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
The timing window is certainly an issue with the company, likely not the driver's fault, hard to calculate delays and what not on the road and at stops.

Regarding crunch though, the shipping industry has been in a constant state of crunch for the last two years, increased demand and less labor supply have ravaged the industry as a whole. People are being pushed to work harder and longer with no end in sight, just because this is one singular short term project doesn't mean they aren't working dozens of these every week non stop, asking them to abandon time off to meet demands sounds an awful lot like crunch to me.

Nah, you don't get to lie about locations to a client to see someone. And this has been a month long delay for a move. No excuse for this from a moving company. If there's a delay it should be communicated. Ideally before arrangements are set so the person moving can make other arrangements if the timing just couldn't work for them.

I recently moved and while it wasn't wildly far away I'd be livid if someone took all our stuff that we're paying them to move and then just ghost me. Then when I follow up I get run arounds and flat out lied to.

Can't just lie to a client then be like "but...crunch". The real world doesn't work that way.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Idk if i ever heard a single good thing about any moving company.

For real, my mother-in-law's family business was a moving company in California. Her brother who ran the company advised us to NOT trust moving folks with our valuables. I get defaulting to protecting worker's rights and fighting for the little man, but damn there are some shitty people out there that are not worth defending. Not everyone who is rich is a heartless piece of shit while at the same time not all working people are saints just trying to get by.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
Are you the driver or the girlfriend?

Just someone who knows how bad shit is right now and actually cares about people beyond the service they provide me and think they deserve the same rights to time off as everyone else even if my shipment might arrive a few days late.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just someone who knows how bad shit is right now and actually cares about people beyond the service they provide me and think they deserve the same rights to time off as everyone else even if my shipment might arrive a few days late.
The shipment of ... checks notes.. all of her worldly possessions was a major disruption for the woman and her family. It's not a minor inconvenience as you make it out to be.

Oct 25, 2017
Everybody always bringing their baggage into these kind of threads
When someone is saying this driver deserves time off these people can wait they really mean "I deserve time off"

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
*literally* no one in this thread has said the driver doesnt deserve time off. Stop straw manning that.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Threads like this are both hilarious and terrifying because without fail at least one person comes in and displays a complete and total rejection of reality.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

No, you're making unfounded suppositions that aren't supported by the provided article.

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't you do all your work for the year in January and take 11 months off? Wow it's so simple, how could they be so stupid to not just do the job and take as much time off as they wanted afterwards.
You mean clock in my usual eight hours to deliver things by my deadline? Yes? And if it's it possible, why not be upfront about it? Obviously people should have breaks. But I schedule them ahead of time or at least keep in communication with my clients or bosses with any changes. Here the driver did neither. Not even his company knew where he was during work hours. Stop pretending I mean work slave hours without respite, obviously not.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
It's actually kind of blowing my mind right now that moving company location data isn't already available as a perk or benefit. Pay extra to get tracking information to know where your stuff is at all times? Some of these companies have to have lo-jack or other GPS tech in their trucks already for insurance purposes, I imagine. Seems like something a bigger moving company with a lot of national coverage would have been doing years ago and makes me wonder if companies like the ones who rent out the "Pods" shipping containers have tracking in them.

I mean, sometimes companies on Kickstarter will give out the vessel names of the ships that are transporting board games or whatever from China to the US and I can track them across the ocean and to different countries in real-time. I can track a Dutch-owned shipping vessel carrying Canadian goods to the US from China through the Suez Canal, yet I can't see where a UHaul carrying all of my possessions from New Jersey down I-95 to Georgia is? Seems really weird…

The commercials and advertisements for this kind of feature write themselves. Like, here's an easy one straight off the dome:
A young child is distraught over her favorite toys and stuffed animals being packed up and shipped ahead of a move. A loving parent pulls up the tracking at various times on a tablet showing the shipment location to console the child, telling them things like "Look, your bear is visiting Chicago! I bet he's enjoying a Chicago-style hot dog at this very moment!" And then, without the child seeing, the parent slips some postcards or souvenirs from the various locations they tracked online into the box when it arrives. "Awww, your bear got you some gifts during his travels!"

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
*literally* no one in this thread has said the driver doesnt deserve time off. Stop straw manning that.

I have been told like 10 times in this thread that they are only allowed time off after they deliver everything, not straw manning anything, people bare literally advocating that this person is not to rest until the job is done and to hell with anything else until then.

Hope alot of people in here aren't in charge of people at work, would be insufferable bosses lol.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I have been told like 10 times in this thread that they are only allowed time off after they deliver everything, not straw manning anything, people bare literally advocating that this person is not to rest until the job is done and to hell with anything else until then.

Hope alot of people in here aren't in charge of people at work, would be insufferable bosses lol.
do you understand what a deadline is? How old are you? Cause you come across as if you're 15.

ColdDeckEd

Jul 25, 2018

How do you know he had no time off before this job?

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017

The driver did not inform his employer that he was taking time off. In what world would this be acceptable? Have you ever been employed in your life?

Mar 7, 2020
USA

Moving company told family their furniture will be delivered on. Friday after 1 month in transit. Driver no showed and didn't call the family or company about delay instead is with his girlfriend. After family and company tried to find out where their household good is at driver lied and say it's out of state when he has their furniture and is instead visiting his girlfriend. But it's the family's fault for wanting their furniture delivered on time after sleeping on an airfares for 1 month?

I'm convinced now your either the driver or the girlfriend otherwise you wouldn't try to not blame the driver at all.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
User Threadbanned (Permanent): Consistently concern trolling across multiple posts
do you understand what a deadline is? How old are you? Cause you come across as if you're 15.

Fuck people, only the deadline matters, crunch until it's done, no time off, no rest, only work.

I've worked shit jobs like that before, they are miserable and shouldn't exist, workers are people and deserve respect and time off.

This isn't life saving medicine, or food for the starving, it's IKEA furniture and kitchen junk they have been without for a month, another couple days isn't going to kill anyone.