• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Oh so now I said that it isn't competitive? Nice putting words in my mouth, putting it as a side tournament just proves my point about the "2 million sales!" Yall are juts grasping at straws right now.
flagpole.gif

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Biggest problem with arms is that in-game the characters dont express themselves enough. Min Min is always serious, twintelle always has the same expression, ribbon girl same expression, spring-boring-dude same expression, ninjara same expression, etc. There's some exceptions, like lola pop, but mostly is big meh. And fighting games need to have a charismatic roster.

Also gameplay is kinda shallow, but that's another story.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
He's my second main in the game and has a great design. It's just that all designs in ARMS are super cool so he can be overshadowed.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I was really disappointed with ARMs, I had some fun with it for about an hour and then I was over it completely.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If your game relay on the mc looks to be popular, your game is pure shit. It's all about how the game feels to play.

Mario is in so many games, to the point he can be seen as generic, but only the good ones trove, while the others descend on obscure

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Still sold better than most Metroid games
All that needs to be said about the sales talk, can we now leave that shit behind?

As far as Spring-Man goes, I enjoy him (I haven't played the game to be clear). Like it has been said ad nauseam, he encapsulates the spirit of the game, he is simple on purpose. He's not exceptional, but Imagine having the thought of cutting Ryu after the first game, it's ludicrous.

I will say that Spring-Man does lack a memorable special move (I think). In fact, every character having swappable ARMS makes them a bit less memorable and unique (at least that's my feeling), I think they should downplay that customization aspect in a possible sequel.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I implore everyone to read the FCBD preview if they haven't already. It's not an essay or anything, but it upgrades Spring Man from "voiceless color palette" to "shonen protagonist" at the very least.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I had bought it physically when it came out, but I got bored of it and sold it. My 9yr old son on the other hand, loves the ever loving shit out of the game. He damn near jumped through the roof when I told him Nintendo released it for free for a few weeks and he could play it.

It's hilarious how much he loves the game.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It has the most rock solid online play of any fighter released on a Nintendo system. I've never had a problem with connection, wireless or wired.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I implore everyone to read the FCBD preview if they haven't already. It's not an essay or anything, but it upgrades Spring Man from "voiceless color palette" to "shonen protagonist" at the very least.
I'm not sure how anyone could read him as anything but shonen protagonist

look at that dopey face

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
All that needs to be said about the sales talk, can we now leave that shit behind?

As far as Spring-Man goes, I enjoy him (I haven't played the game to be clear). Like it has been said ad nauseam, he encapsulates the spirit of the game, he is simple on purpose. He's not exceptional, but Imagine having the thought of cutting Ryu after the first game, it's ludicrous.

I will say that Spring-Man does lack a memorable special move (I think). In fact, every character having swappable ARMS makes them a bit less memorable and unique (at least that's my feeling), I think they should downplay that customization aspect in a possible sequel.

That's actually a good point. I think it would help if certain fighters had certain arm types instead. They already have their own "gimmicks" so the swapped arms don't really do much.

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017

I know what you mean, but I actually kind of like that aspect of it. Because, when first starting out, you can pretty much choose whichever character you want and not have to worry about the way they play too much. Just choose who you think looks coolest.

But once you really get into the game, the little quirks that don't seem all that big are actually huge gameplay changes. Like, if I'm not using Min-Min or Lola, everything feels really off.

That being said, if they want to go a bit further in the direction of making the defining traits a little more extreme, I wouldn't mind.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
spring man is a gay icon, this entire argument is stupid

"Fire Emblem would be a money maker if they killed of Byleth"

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017

they do have their own special abilities too, but the biggest thing I found myself wishing for was for every character to have a unique super move

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Arms was a fighting game that invited everyone to have fun, with mechanics that were easy to wrap your head around that worked almost all of the time. Iconic fighters, the thickest woman you'll ever lay eyes on in a video game, and a demented clown. It's beautiful. I love everything about this game and want a sequel now.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
they do have their own special abilities too, but the biggest thing I found myself wishing for was for every character to have a unique super move
i'd really like if each individual ARM had a super (or an EX equivalent) to go with them, while each character had their own unique super as well
it'd be a great next step for a sequel

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Yeah, Spring Man is super bland. He couldn't be more uninteresting if he tried. I was bummed when he was the pick for an ARMS Assist Trophy, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise since we now know we're getting a fully playable ARMS character that almost certainly isn't Spring Man.

Twintelle is *by far* the most interesting and deserving ARMS rep in my opinion, and getting a woman of color into Smash's roster would be hugely awesome and significant. I'd be pretty happy with Min Min too... I'm just really hoping it isn't Ribbon Girl, though I think there's a fairly good chance it will be.

At the end of the day though, it's more Smash content regardless and I'll be hugely appreciative of Sakurai and his team's work no matter who it ends up being!

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Spring-Man? More like Bland-Man.

Them merely announcing the next character's from ARMS is somewhat reassuring because it makes it seem like it's not a foregone conclusion who the character is.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Even assuming that the "it would be Nintendo's #1 IP" part of the thread title is intentional hyperbole, it still reads like a pretty bad take. The only problem that I have with Spring Man's design is his outfit being pretty generic gym gear, compared to everyone else's outfits, but springs being the cover character's concept is the perfect logical choice to convey what ARMS is built around.

"The game is called ARMS, the main character's arms are made out of ramen." Hm?
"Their arms are made out of a championship belts." Wha?
"The game is called ARMS, the main character attacks using very long pigtails." Uhhh alright.

"The main character's arms are springs." Okay so they expand and contract. Instantly imagined and understood. He becomes the baseline that allows the other, more initially-outlandish ideas to make sense. He's given the pretty typical Heroic Guts™ attitude that is so pervasive in Shonen lead character design, and the story of trying to live up to the Spring Man title by proving himself on the ARMS circuit. It's not the most thrilling of narratives to follow but the other characters' reasons for fighting aren't really any better-suited for being the main character anyway.

What's weird about it is that ARMS actually has a lot of cool lore built around it, but very little of it was ever properly conveyed within the game itself, prior to the gallery update most of it was being told through the Japanese Twitter account. Spring Man being the main character would have been just fine for sales if the game did a better job of making anyone care about him, or anyone else in the game for that matter. Instead people have to base their opinions of the characters almost entirely on visual design alone. Spring Man's design is actually among the least of ARMS' problems when it comes to having it build a stronger community of players and keeping people engaged in it more.

Spring Man's special moves are his shockwave that can deflect incoming attacks, and his "guts" when he's at low-health that keep his Arms permanently charged and allowing him an opportunity to more easily mount a comeback compared to other characters.

They're good abilities and well-suited for him...the weird problem with it is that these qualities apparently became the equivalent of an ARMS-Shoto, as both Springtron and Max Brass also got the shockwave, and Brass also gets the guts-effect in addition to his own body-buffing ability, so those features being unique to Spring Man were undermined once more of the post-launch content started coming.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Man, as an outsider looking in, this thread is pretty convincing on why Spring Man is a cool rep compared to everyone else. I've really come around to the idea.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Every. Single. Damn. Person. I show ARMS to is impressed by Twintelle. And I haven't seen a single person picking Punch boy or whatever his name is. So yes a lot of truth to this.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I must say, when they first presented the game Spring Man looked pretty boring with a lame design.
Now that I've been trying Arms a bit more seriously thanks to the trial, there's a lot of charismatic characters in the game the would be perfect to be the face of the brand.
Min Min, Ninjara, Kid Cobra, Twintelle, Coyle, Misango... They're all pretty cool and way more detailed than the lame Spring Man / Ribbon Girl duo you see on the cover. Here's hoping none of the two make it to Smash Bros.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Spring Man were instead Little Mac who got in an accident and got spring arms in emergency surgery, thus evolving into ARMS' mascot (mechanically, he'd be exactly the same as Spring Man though), the game would have sold measurably better imo.
I'm pretty sure arms had sold more than punch out wii

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Having not played ARMS I never once thought Spring Man looked "bad" or "generic". Not my favourite of the ARMS designs, but still, some of the opinions here are kind of baffling.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
They don't need to "kill him off", just don't focus on him for ARMS 2. He was a very safe choice (him and Ribbon Girl) to market ARMS initially.

They also need to add some sort of campaign mode for ARMS 2. Give the game and universe some life, the character's a purpose that show off their different personalities. It's the lack of content that hurt ARMS in that if you didn't enjoy playing it online then there really wasn't a reason to own it.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I pray to flying spaghetti monster that Springman and ribbon girl (alt) are the only ones playable, to spite you, OP

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Arms is going to persist in this world as a franchise because

1) Whatever the Mario Kart team wants, the Mario Kart team gets. They already made Nintendo's #1 IP.
2) Smash is getting people to talk about Arms and we won't stop until June.