• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
290px-SpringMan5.png

Look at this dude compared to literally anyone else on the roster. He's a NOBODY, A HAS-BEEN. No one likes this dude and thus no one likes arms as much as they should while this guy is the poster boy. Don't try to give me a sob story on why he's your favorite, I know you're lying. Or else you'd have been repping a spring-man avatar since Day 1 and making monthly Arms threads.

I bring this up since I think we're getting an Arms 2 and thus killing off Springmam seems like the way to go. It'll help the story for other characters to develop more while allowing the series to get bigger than ever since this plain ass bread will be out of the picture.

Literally ANYONE else of the arms roster should be the star. Yes, that includes Helix. Shiet, even Evil Spring Man is cooler than him.

I don't need to debate this because I know I'm right. Just wanted to let you all know THE TRUTH.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nah

Spring Man's my boi and I ain't gonna let you slander his name like that

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
69 comments. Nice.

But also agreed. If they made Twintelle the lead character ala Isabelle in Animal Crossing they'd see their sales increase 12 fold.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Springman is super cool and I love his Osamu Tezuka design.
For shame OP
Tezuka_Danconia.jpg

The twintelle stuff is getting out of hand. Im seeing a lot of crying in this forum when she is not one of the smash fighters.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Someone with better editing skills than me make an "I am inevitable!" meme with Spring Man in regards to Smash

I happen to like him

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
if they kill him off he just gets replaced by a new Spring Man

that's the life cycle

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They wanted someone like Ryu I guess, with a generic personality to represent the franchise. By the way, Ken is better than Ryu.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Eh they don't need to kill him off, just advertise more with the other characters. Other fighting games have popular "side" characters that are pushed in advertising (like Mai and Kula for KOF).

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love Spring Man. Rocking those OG Joycon colors.

Seriously though I love his design. He's my favorite next to Lola.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
you would be right IF this wasn't a fighting game
(cue lots of people coming to say it is not a fighting game)

the generic protagonist is like the basis of the fighting game genre =P

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
A game no one cares about cause of its unappealing gameplay doesn't suddenly become a hit cause you change the character on the package

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Spring Man reminds me of the main character of the Blue Sky movie Robots for some reason

Guess they're both blue and completely forgettable

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Spring man is the most boring design i ever saw in my life.

It's like he is a mascot of bad commercial. Awful.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
He's not THAT bad, he does his job & does it well. The problem is that he's a solid character in a sea of great ones.

With that said, Spring Man is a legacy title, with the one we know now being Spring Man #3. For all we know, ARMS 2 could give us Spring Man (or Woman) #4.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
nintendo's biggest mistake in this regard was no hot dad beard DLC. maybe a holdout for Arms 2

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
If Spring Man were instead Little Mac who got in an accident and got spring arms in emergency surgery, thus evolving into ARMS' mascot (mechanically, he'd be exactly the same as Spring Man though), the game would have sold measurably better imo.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Note 1: I don't know if Arms' problem is a mascot problem. I think it just needs to communicate its design and flow better because on its surface, it looks kinda like an unwieldy motion control swingfest, even though that's absolutely not what it is.

Note 2: Damn I'm used to Jawmuncher displaying unbridled enthusiasm for stuff and not this brutal shade. I feel tonally betrayed.

Deleted member 30935

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I really love Spring Man's design. Simplistic sometimes is good and his pinkish red/blue color scheme really pops. I think he straddles the line between a everyman character while having his own vibe really well.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Nah, it's like Mario. Generic unassuming lead with quirky and more interesting side characters.

Oct 28, 2019
Yes, I'm sure killing spring man will add much needed depth and character growth to the arms universe! Lol they might want to start with a game that LOOKS fun to play without controller gimics.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
He's like Captain America. A painfully generic guy surrounded by interesting people but I think that adds to the charm.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
C'mon he's not that bad.

The problem with the game is motion controls (not to me, but for many people).

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Is he really the main focus of anything though outside of the box? All characters are actually treated pretty equally from what I've seen.

I don't think this would bring it to #1 either over any of Nintendo's really big ips

Oct 25, 2017
Just watch as Spring Man turns out to be the Smash fighter pick and the Assist Trophy is replaced by Springtron.

It's an interesting opportunity to set him aside as the presumptive lead, though. But his position as the cover character has always been shared with Ribbon Girl from the start, and there isn't that much in Arms itself to solidify Spring Man as the default or lead character anyway (apart from Springtron being modelled after him). What Spring Man's design does accomplish, though, is encapsulate the concept of the whole game in a succinct way. You see the idea of extending/retracting baked into the aesthetics of springs in a way that isn't quite so inherent to the other materials (mummy wraps, snakes, ribbons, noodles, braids, and so on).

I'm personally hoping for the pick to be Min Min, who was the closest thing to my main-main from day one, and would objectively be well justified. But that may be as influenced by wishful thinking as hoping for Edelgard over Byleth not so long ago.

Arms on the whole has arguably the best, most detailed character animation in any Nintendo game. I spent a lot of time in the game clipping replays and taking screenshots just to savour everything that was going on.

C'mon he's not that bad.

The problem with the game is motion controls (not to me, but for many people).

Played it 100% with motion controls since day one (I tried the controller scheme in the pre-release demos and decided I'd rather learn it with motion). Definitely not for everyone, but a very satisfying experience to master for those who are willing to grapple with it and get over the hump. But I'm the one always stumping for Skyward Sword and Star Fox Zero, and wanting a more nuanced successor to Wii Boxing was what interested me about Arms in the first place.

I honestly enjoy Arms multiplayer more than Smash. Relative to most other fighting games it takes the emphasis off the inputs and puts them substantially on the situational/spatial awareness and high-level strategy. That's never going to appeal to people who would, justifiably, rather pursue games with a high skill ceiling on technical precision—but what Arms lets you do is experience the opponent-reading/metagame aspects of a fighting game without treating the inputs themselves as a hard prerequisite. You would think this puts it at risk of being a "casual" game with a skill ceiling that you hit too quickly, but there is enough moment-to-moment tactical interest and depth to the loadout metagame to make the game sufficiently deep.

That said, the top end of the ladder does play more or less Pro Controller-only, and last I checked, the gloves that came with Max Brass are heavily favoured there precisely because they don't have any auto-tracking and therefore reward more precise mastery of the aiming controls. I just personally find it more satisfying to play with motion all the way.

Last edited: