• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Brought to my attention from Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ARMS/comments/m2dki7/so_it_seems_like_the_graphic_novel_was_indeed/

ujlo5fbeoam61.jpg

The series was done by all accounts but Nintendo never greenlit the release. I'm actually kinda pissed.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
shocked.

shame, as many of Nintendo's series could at least live on in other media

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
It's so weird.
One would have thought that the marketing push that Minmin in Smash gave would have been able to help.
But it's also been in limbo for so long.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being Ian Flynn is suffering.

Maybe they're rethinking centering the series around Spring Man.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not really into comics generally, but I really like ARMS. I hope that they continue to believe in the franchise.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Writing was on the wall, this should've been out 2018 or early 2019 at the latest. ARMS is an ancient game at this point to sell a marketing tie in comic book series around.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was always super weird that this got greenlit in the first place in a world where Nintendo controls their IP more strictly than anyone else.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Fuckin' hell, Ian can't catch a break with Nintendo properties.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Poor Ian Flynn is never gonna get an issue of a Nintendo property published.

Should've gone for Splatoon!

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
He wanted to make a post-Fusion Metroid comic. Woulda been baller.

Archie Mega Man was way better than it had any right to be.

I was way more upset over the Mega Man comic's cancellation than I was with Legends 3 (and THAT cancellation crushed me). I know sales weren't fire, but it's still such a travesty that neither IDW or Udon have stepped up to do some sort of continuation.

Fusion would have been amazing, but I always wondered how his take on the Dark Matter Trilogy would have gone down.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Everything surrounding the comic was weird, from it getting announced so late after ARMS launched to it getting constantly delayed without fanfare.

Hope they take another shot at it when (if?) another ARMS happens. That's a really cool world they built

The series was done by all accounts but Nintendo never greenlit the release. I'm actually kinda pissed.

ColorlessAcademicIchthyostega-small.gif

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
guess nintendo is taking the franchise into a back alley at night...

seems pretty cruel after they themselves didn't put more into the game to make it a better sell (my main gripe was how content-lacking the game was. it needed more elaborate story mode for single player play)

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It always felt weird this existed in the first place. Like, I know in Japan it's pretty normal for Nintendo IP to get manga adaptations, but I genuinely can't recall the last time there was a Nintendo IP given to a western studio for a comic/show/movie (except I guess for the Mario movie now).

seems pretty cruel after they themselves didn't put more into the game to make it a better sell (my main gripe was how content-lacking the game was. it needed more elaborate story mode for single player play)

I don't think they would have let Min Min into Smash if the series was dead.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017

Min Min just joined Smash! There's no reason to assume they're icing the actual games just yet.

This graphic novel has, bizarrely, been in limbo for years. It was announced in 2017 for release the next year, then I guess it got delayed, and vanished along the way.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
People are saying this is the death knell of the franchise, but I think it's possible that Nintendo just wasnt happy with the final result, or that it clashes with a follow up game they're developing.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
My guess, Nintendo wanted to go in a different direction regarding the story (namely this comic's focus on Spring Man). I'm not sure this is a sign that they're done with ARMS, otherwise Min Min wouldn't be in Smash. Min Min, Twintelle in the West, & Ninjara in Japan turned out to be the popular picks. Hell, the ARMS team even directly acknowledged the former two as the top 2 most popular ARMS characters overall. I wouldn't be surprised if ARMS 2 leans more heavily on the 3 of them.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
whack. I was at the GDC panel where this was announced and shown off, this was easily my most RT'ed thing of all time:

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Like I just said, I think the comic's focus on Spring Man may have been what doomed it.

Do people really hate Spring Man that much? At worst, he's an inoffensive character, & at best, he's not that different from the archetype he was inspired from ('Kinnikuman' protagonist Suguru Kinniku).

I love the other characters (Dr. Coyle is easily my favourite design and is fun as the games main antagonist), but I do think the comic book series would've worked better if each chapter focused on a different combatant, so that each character gets their chance to shine.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Do people really hate Spring Man that much? At worst, he's an inoffensive character, & at best, he's not that different from the archetype he was inspired from ('Kinnikuman' protagonist Suguru Kinniku).

I love the other characters (Dr. Coyle is easily my favourite design and is fun as the games main antagonist), but I do think the comic book series would've worked better if each chapter focused on a different combatant, so that each character gets their chance to shine.
I don't think anyone outright hates Spring Man, he just never really took off like some of the others did. It honestly feels like a Mortal Kombat situation (Spring Man = Liu Kang, Min Min & Twintelle = Scorpion & Sub-Zero).

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Noooooo ARMS is great and the characters have huge potential, the IP needed this type of expansion!