• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
How did Huawei go from a nobody to the top 3 phone companies in like 5 years anyway?

Late Wednesday, Reuters reported the U.S. administration was considering Huawei-like sanctions on Chinese video surveillance firm Hikvision over the country's treatment of its Uighur Muslim minority, according to a person briefed on the matter.
This is good, whatever is happening there is terrible. I hope this trade war sorts China out.

Oct 27, 2017
How did Huawei go from a nobody to the top 3 phone companies in like 5 years anyway?

This is good, whatever is happening there is terrible. I hope this trade war sorts China out.

They released great products which got hyped. They also catered to the cheaper markets as well as premium market. They can financially compete with the big two as they don't just rely on mobile revenue as they do all sorts.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
What if this ends up like the second renaissance and huawei make everything themselves and achieve extreme global success and the west gets mad and nukes china and then makes the sky permanently dark.

What if??

Deleted member 26398

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If I were Huawei, I would open source all of R&D, patent, IP, know how, everything and then declare bankruptcy. Suddenly, the companies who are cheerleading this assassination of a market leader will have dozens of competitors.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
They released great products which got hyped. They also catered to the cheaper markets as well as premium market. They can financially compete with the big two as they don't just rely on mobile revenue as they do all sorts.
I doubt that was possible without Chinese government backed sponsoring and subsidies. No brand goes from 0 to the top worldwide without something going on. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...y-chinese-state-security-report-idUSKCN1RW03D

Let's not forget they've done the same in the solar panel business.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Someone put it best when they said that eventually, American companies that set up shop in China will be the ones that struggle.

This isn't new. This has been status quo for years.

I'm sure this won't lead to any kind of retaliation from China. US single-handedly dictating which companies may or may not do bussiness

China has been doing that for years, so there's not really a retaliation concern. "We're going to keep restricting American companies" isn't really a threat.

Chinese companies just have a different mindset, it doesnt matter Who did it first, it matters Who doest it better and cheaper and the ones that wins are the consumers.

If every companie worked like that it would me amazing for us.

Ah yes. Steal shit and sell it cheap. What an innovation you have there! If only everyone took your advice and no one bothered with innovation!

Of course they will start to make their own chips, software etc. This is just the kick the Chinese need to realise they need complete tech independence. And of course if they perceive the US to not be playing fair then they will no doubt rip off any and all designs they can acquire.

How is this different than the status quo? Stopping copying and getting more companies to focus on innovation will benefit the world.

America only wants Apple ruling the world. Disgusting tbh

Yes, the American government wants the company that told it to go fuck itself to rule the world. America doesn't havee a command economy. The government doesn't get to pick winners and losers like that. Apple lives or dies based on its products.

Android phones are better anyway. Samsung Galaxy > Apple iPhone

Should probably point out that ARM is British, not American.

This is good news. Apparently it's totally cool when the PRC blatently steals IP, bans most western technology services and requires "technology transfers," but it's TERRIBLY UNJUST when other countries try to punish them for it. Won't somebody think of the totalitarian police state? I need my cheap phones!

As always I'm also loving the Kantian philosophers in here saying the US should let themselves get spied on because it's fair.

+1

But would you rather be tortured by the canadian government or the chinese government ?

The Canadians would be very polite about it tho.

this forum is full of american liberals who think all of that shit can just be hand waved away because China is Mordor and Xi Jinping is Sauron

American liberal criticize their government plenty. Many even fight it.

But whataboutism doesn't mean other wrongs get to be handwaved away. Criticizing two different things is not a logical inconsistency.

...the chinese people are fine with that given that the government has takin the standard of living to new heights.

Gonna need receipts on that. Lots of Chinese citizens are not happy with their gov.

No I agree, the average person wouldn't bee affected, unless china got sloppy with their data. Bottom line, the Chinese isn't going to knock down someone's' door in Minnesota for bad mouthing the CCP.

No, China will just try to destroy their business, like it did with an Australian newspaper.

https://amp.smh.com.au/politics/fed...dia-over-anti-china-ties-20190404-p51as2.html

The Chinese government bullied a local council into black banning an Australian-owned media company because they believed it did not toe China's Communist Party line.

Officials from the Chinese consulate in Sydney told the Georges River Council in Sydney's south last year that if it did not abandon a sponsorship deal with the Australian Chinese-language media organisation, Vision China Times, it risked harming relations between NSW and Beijing.

The Age, The Sydney Morning Herald and the ABC's Four Corners have obtained council documents showing how Chinese consular officials issued at least eight warnings to the council over the last 14 months after learning it was planning to have Vision China Times sponsor a Chinese New Year event. The campaign had an effect and, in 2018, Vision China Times was banned.

In recent years, Vision China Times has been repeatedly pressured by Beijing because it sometimes publishes information in Mandarin that's critical of the Chinese Communist Party. Ten of the newspaper's advertisers were previously threatened by Chinese officials, including intelligence agents, to pull their advertising in Australia. All did.

Vision China Times manager Maree Ma said the paper had been banned because "the Chinese consulate don't like any media outlets that they cannot have some sort of control over". She stressed the paper was an Australian owned outlet committed to independent journalism and free speech principles.

Last November, Ms Ma confronted councillors at a public meeting, demanding to know if and why some had buckled to threats from the Chinese Communist Party.

Ms Ma told the council: "We are clear about the pressures we face as an independent Chinese media. We are also clear of the possible pressures this council can come under from foreign agents.

"However, council events are to serve the local community. These are not international exchanges. We believe council should be making decisions in the interests of the local community, not foreign governments."

Feb 3, 2018
China will hit harder i guess lol

Chinas imports are very small compared to their exports the retaliatory measures would have some effect but they are in a situation were they are really dependent on exports and being able to do business outside of China.

Chinas economy is also in this weird place were many of the "millionaires" in China are living on borrowed money and some economists have described Chinas economy as one big ponzy scheme.

Here is the quote I found

"As long as their economy keeps growing everything is fine but when the growth stops or slips just a little it could be disaster.

China also has no concept of a financial crisis their economy has done nothing but grow for such a long time but for the first time in quite a while the government in China is worried because it's slowly starting to balance itself out which would be fine in the west and other economies.

In this case you justify production with demand based purely on more production. As long as you keep pushing production up everything looks fine. At its peak in 2014 China turned out 30 times more cement than the United States, and the latest production figures are only a smidgen less than 2014's.

Command systems may be good at deciding where to direct economic effort in wartime but they are hopeless in peacetime at deciding when to stop and do something else.

They just keep going down the same old track and then what you get is economic cancer, uncontrollable growth.

You don't see it right away. Any Ponzi scheme looks just fine as long as more people can be found to put their money in. But the end is inevitable and the longer it is delayed the more resounding the collapse.
It has so long been delayed in the mainland that, when the end finally comes, I believe more than half of the loans and advances of the financial system will prove irrecoverable, which would be very resounding indeed."

Basicly he aint wrong what he wrote in 2017 has started to happen and will accelerate with the trade war.

https://www.scmp.com/news/article/2108442/my-prediction-coming-collapse-chinas-ponzi-scheme-economy

Last edited:

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Huawei will make their phones and buy the chips/OS from some "third party". It doesn't seem that hard to get around. I doubt they dissolve the company. I don't even think the majority of their business likely comes from phones, but I'm way to lazy to look that up.

I don't really doubt it would hurt China either, but I also don't think they'd really care. All of FoxConn's workforce could be starving in the streets and I don't think they'd really care. They've literally done that in recent history to their own people, and the country will rally behind them while it happens. Picking a trade war with them seems nuts to me.

Nah, actually China is more prone to economic problems as it's not a democracy and it's legitimacy relies on the well-being of the economy. Add in the fact that it's a export based economy, that relies on selling products made in their factories, scaring people away from making stuff in China hurts China just as much as it could hurt the American consumer.

Keep going with the trade war, it's gone on for far too long to force China to end the IP stealing and forced technology transfers.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
To all celebrating, as a Singaporean, I am less concern of what happened to Huawei and more concerned with the world's reliance on US tech.

If I am my country's administration, I will start to develop more homegrown tech than continue to rely on any foreign dependency as much as possible.

Obviously the US is not going to use this nuclear option to most countries (least not Singapore) but it has shown the world that it hypothetically can do it.

I am sure most EU countries are looking at this developing story with wary. There's a reason why EU kept imposed a monopoly fine on US tech companies.

Whatever coming out of this regarding Huawei & China, the US is not gonna ends up the 'winner' in the long term.

My 2 cents.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
A trade war with China is a very bad idea in general, but I have 0 sympathy for Huawei who engaged in extremely blatant corporate espionage and even offered employee bonuses to anyone who was able to steal trade secrets from competitors.

Basically me at this point. I question the motives behind the move against Huawei but at the same time I don't really care about them.

I just bought their P30 Pro like 2 weeks ago but it's my first HW phone and will probably get a Pixel in the future when I need to change one.

To all celebrating, as a Singaporean, I am less concern of what happened to Huawei and more concerned with the world's reliance on US tech.

If I am my country's administration, I will start to develop more homegrown tech than continue to rely on any foreign dependency as much as possible.

Obviously the US is not going to use this nuclear option to most countries (least not Singapore) but it has shown the world that it hypothetically can do it.

I am sure most EU countries are looking at this developing story with wary. There's a reason why EU kept imposed a monopoly fine on US tech companies.

Whatever coming out of this regarding Huawei & China, the US is not gonna ends up the 'winner' in the long term.

My 2 cents.

We (Singapore) always have to play all sides with super powers and allies. We also don't have the capability to create most of our own tech.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

My 2 cents.

Totally agree with this.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes. Steal shit and sell it cheap. What an innovation you have there! If only everyone took your advice and no one bothered with innovation!
I dont care about innovation in phones, I dont buy a phone to reward a great idea, I buy the one that I like more, Huawei phones have BETTER cameras (so I dont think they did that by stealing) AND are way way cheaper.

Just like in the game industry, people play Forntite because its cheaper AND more polished than the other battle royale games, they dont care what game was first. And they wont be worried about the earnings of mega-corporations over consumers.

This is the same line of thinking that defends IP rights on remedies/vaccines to defend investors and tried to force it on the whole world with the TPP.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
This isn't new. This has been status quo for years.

China has been doing that for years, so there's not really a retaliation concern. "We're going to keep restricting American companies" isn't really a threat.

How is this different than the status quo? Stopping copying and getting more companies to focus on innovation will benefit the world.

Yes, the American government wants the company that told it to go fuck itself to rule the world. America doesn't havee a command economy. The government doesn't get to pick winners and losers like that. Apple lives or dies based on its products.

Android phones are better anyway. Samsung Galaxy > Apple iPhone

+1

The Canadians would be very polite about it tho.

American liberal criticize their government plenty. Many even fight it.

But whataboutism doesn't mean other wrongs get to be handwaved away. Criticizing two different things is not a logical inconsistency.

Gonna need receipts on that. Lots of Chinese citizens are not happy with their gov.

No, China will just try to destroy their business, like it did with an Australian newspaper.

https://amp.smh.com.au/politics/fed...dia-over-anti-china-ties-20190404-p51as2.html

Great post, saves me a lot of typing.

My 2 cents.

Problem is that externalities are so big with tech products, and barriers to entry are so high. It is a problem in a world where bad actors are becoming more bold, yeah.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Chinas imports are very small compared to their exports the retaliatory measures would have some effect but they are in a situation were they are really dependent on exports and being able to do business outside of China.

Chinas economy is also in this weird place were many of the "millionaires" in China are living on borrowed money and some economists have described Chinas economy as one big ponzy scheme.

Here is the quote I found

"As long as their economy keeps growing everything is fine but when the growth stops or slips just a little it could be disaster.

China also has no concept of a financial crisis their economy has done nothing but grow for such a long time but for the first time in quite a while the government in China is worried because it's slowly starting to balance itself out which would be fine in the west and other economies.

In this case you justify production with demand based purely on more production. As long as you keep pushing production up everything looks fine. At its peak in 2014 China turned out 30 times more cement than the United States, and the latest production figures are only a smidgen less than 2014's.

Command systems may be good at deciding where to direct economic effort in wartime but they are hopeless in peacetime at deciding when to stop and do something else.

They just keep going down the same old track and then what you get is economic cancer, uncontrollable growth.

You don't see it right away. Any Ponzi scheme looks just fine as long as more people can be found to put their money in. But the end is inevitable and the longer it is delayed the more resounding the collapse.
It has so long been delayed in the mainland that, when the end finally comes, I believe more than half of the loans and advances of the financial system will prove irrecoverable, which would be very resounding indeed."

Basicly he aint wrong what he wrote in 2017 has started to happen and will accelerate with the trade war.

https://www.scmp.com/news/article/2108442/my-prediction-coming-collapse-chinas-ponzi-scheme-economy

That's not how economics work, Trump is attacking China's supply chain, their imports. The US has more imports coming from China than China does from the US, so China can disrupt more of the supply chain.
China also holds lots and lots of American debt, the US keeps running massive deficits that no other country could afford to, and much of this is owned by China. (Both private and public debt) In a normal civilized world, China has no incentive to use that leverage, but with Trump doing Trump things, there's a lot to leverage to be had there.

My 2 cents.
The US cannot be trusted, nor can American monopolies. We have Google and Facebook with a monopoly of information, breaking data protection laws left and right and attacking democracy, and we rely on them for so many information sectors. The regulators are definitely going to be more and more proactive with how the US government is leveraging this for their own interests.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Samsung licenses the chips and sells them to whomever they want. If I had to choose between Snapdragon and Exynos today, I know which one I would choose.

Exynos. Partially developed in the US.

Speaking of companies with Chinese government backing them, whatever happened to ZTE? The last time I heard of them the US also blocked their spyware filled phones and then they just disappeared from the news.

They apologized and got forgiven with a fine and consent agreement.

Might as well get off with some lawsuit loot before Huawei is bankrupt.

Yes, they filed the first complaint against Huawei in 2017 because they knew this would happen in 2019!

Why couldn't anyone else see that?

Some of them are willing to eat grass if situations go that way. Never underestimate nationalist fervor.

Anything to own the libs...

I would be surprised if Huawei will take these recent developments without a fight, they are a big company they have extensive resources.
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a new marketing campaign and several initiatives to change the perception of there company.

Why bother fighting in court when the gov will randomly arrest people for you?

The fact is the global market is seeing the US government not only dictating how their local companies do business but their international partners too.

This isn't limited to just the US. Europe does it as well. You can't trade internationally without dealing with the laws of other countries.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Great post, saves me a lot of typing.

Problem is that externalities are so big with tech products, and barriers to entry are so high. It is a problem in a world where bad actors are becoming more bold, yeah.

I can only hope the next us president is more 'level- headed'.

Trump is too much a lunatic to make such decisions without considering the impact he has caused in creating a sense of 'reservation' on reliance on US tech. Whether other countries can develop their homegrown tech is another question by itself but nobody can deny, the current situation has planted some seeds of reservation even within US's closest allies.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
That's not how economics work, Trump is attacking China's supply chain, their imports. The US has more imports coming from China than China does from the US, so China can disrupt more of the supply chain.
China also holds lots and lots of American debt, the US keeps running massive deficits that no other country could afford to, and much of this is owned by China.
(Both private and public debt) In a normal civilized world, China has no incentive to use that leverage, but with Trump doing Trump things, there's a lot to leverage to be had there.

The US cannot be trusted, nor can American monopolies. We have Google and Facebook with a monopoly of information, breaking data protection laws left and right and attacking democracy, and we rely on them for so many information sectors. The regulators are definitely going to be more and more proactive with how the US government is leveraging this for their own interests.

you definitely got the first sentence of your post right.

If China impacted exports, or called on debt, China's economy would implode.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
you definitely got the first sentence of your post right.

If China impacted exports, or called on debt, China's economy would implode.
Well, that's why the Chinese government hasn't done it so far, they aren't crazy.
But when the president of the US is crazy, and is intent on going kamikaze at the Chinese economy, at the cost of the American economy, the reasons to retaliate or threaten to retaliate certainly increase. The US has every bit as much to lose as China, it's losing already, and the consequences will be coming slowly as firms shift strategies to protect themselves from the risk of doing business with the US.

For Americans here, you really have to understand that the US is coming off as a bully in the view of everyone abroad, and the fast eroding trust will have economic and political consequences.

Feb 10, 2018
Exynos. Partially developed in the US.

They apologized and got forgiven with a fine and consent agreement.

Yes, they filed the first complaint against Huawei in 2017 because they knew this would happen in 2019!

Why couldn't anyone else see that?

Anything to own the libs...

Why bother fighting in court when the gov will randomly arrest people for you?

This isn't limited to just the US. Europe does it as well. You can't trade internationally without dealing with the laws of other countries.

They won't be able to aresst the Google and Arm employees responsible for the recent troubles for Huawei.
Huawei will try and do good, they don't want to lose there mobile phone business in some of the biggest markets.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that's why the Chinese government hasn't done it so far, they aren't crazy.
But when the president of the US is crazy, and is intent on going kamikaze at the Chinese economy, at the cost of the American economy, the reasons to retaliate or threaten to retaliate certainly increase. The US has every bit as much to lose as China, it's losing already, and the consequences will be coming slowly as firms shift strategies to protect themselves from the risk of doing business with the US.

For Americans here, you really have to understand that the US is coming off as a bully in the view of everyone abroad, and the fast eroding trust will have economic and political consequences.

China can't retaliate rashly because every American business in China also has a Chinese partner. I think China will definitely play the victim role on the world stage, become more self reliant and maybe more 'collaboration' with EU in the future. Their internal economy is way overdue for correction and they will just have to take their loses for now. I think that's why Xi has been telling the citizens to buckle up for a long march. If they can truly catch up in technology and become more self reliant in a decade, they will be much more difficult to deal with. Meanwhile, Russia is probably laughing their asses off seeing the trust between the US and the rest of the world erode.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
China can't retaliate rashly because every American business in China also has a Chinese partner. I think China will definitely play the victim role on the world stage, become more self reliant and maybe more 'collaboration' with EU in the future. Their internal economy is way overdue for correction and they will just have to take their loses for now. I think that's why Xi has been telling the citizens to buckle up for a long march. If they can truly catch up in technology and become more self reliant in a decade, they will be much more difficult to deal with. Meanwhile, Russia is probably laughing their asses off seeing the trust between the US and the rest of the world erode.
I mean, those are all shell companies, they do the financial part, things like that. Every multinational company has shell subsidiaries in every country. They are a tiny part of the sector, and if China really wanted to go crazy like Trump is, that would not be an obstacle.

I don't think China will go that route, as you say, it's a much better play to rely on the international institutions, formal and informal, to arbitrate in all this, and let the US hurt its own image. I think this will be like ZTE in the end, the ban will be lifted sooner than later after some apologizing, a fine, whatever, only the reputation of the US is more tarnished than before. In the coming years there's going to be a huge strategic shift as you say, because it's clear you cannot trust or rely on the US for key sectors of the economy.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

No it's because China trapped themselves by requiring technology transfers and partnerships which means attacks on Us interests locally means hurting their own companies.

Also you give the big cheeto too much credit. This ban has the fingerprints of.his trade.rep Lighthizer who is known for his hawkish position against China on trade

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Huawei is taking a very measured response. They are saying they are going to file an official complaint.
People around them also say that they will release a new operating system before spring next year and that they are working on it since 2012.
China itself is saying that America must first roll back the sanctions and then they can talk further on trade.
It seems like this is the mechanism that Trump is always doing. Like with tariffs with other countries. First Trump puts on tariffs, bans, etc.. and then the other side complies and they gave in with Trump using the tariffs he started as currency. In that way, Trump never gives up anything and the other side must give in on all demands. It is weird that this tactic works so well.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, those are all shell companies, they do the financial part, things like that. Every multinational company has shell subsidiaries in every country. They are a tiny part of the sector, and if China really wanted to go crazy like Trump is, that would not be an obstacle.

I don't think China will go that route, as you say, it's a much better play to rely on the international institutions, formal and informal, to arbitrate in all this, and let the US hurt its own image. I think this will be like ZTE in the end, the ban will be lifted sooner than later after some apologizing, a fine, whatever, only the reputation of the US is more tarnished than before. In the coming years there's going to be a huge strategic shift as you say, because it's clear you cannot trust or rely on the US for key sectors of the economy.

Like Dekuman said, it's not just shell companies. CCP themselves will lose money as well. Chinese economy was already on the verge of implosion due to years of inflated growth. The chain reaction from massively ban US companies would be too much to bear right now.

Here are some articles in English worth reading wrt why I think China will do what I think it will do.
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/pol...lls-self-reliance-china-grapples-long-term-us
Chinese President Xi Jinping has stressed the need for self-reliance and innovation in a rallying call to the country to prepare to fend off various long-term challenges from the United States.
"Technological innovation is the root of life for businesses," Xi said on Monday on a visit to Jiangxi province, state-run news agency Xinhua reported. "Only if we own our own intellectual property and core technologies, then can we produce products with core competitiveness and [we] won't be beaten in intensifying competition."

And we all know that Trump is still having frequent conversation with Steve Bannon...
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dip...says-killing-huawei-more-important-trade-deal
Driving Huawei out of the United States and Europe is "10 times more important" than a trade deal with China, according to former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon.
He also said he would dedicate all his time to shutting Chinese companies out of US capital markets.
The remark by Bannon, a strong advocate of an "all-encompassing war" against China, came days after US President Donald Trump signed an executive order effectively banning Huawei from the US market and cutting off its vital components supply.

"It is a massive national security issue to the West," Bannon said, in a phone interview on Saturday with the South China Morning Post. "The executive order is 10 times more important than walking away from the trade deal. It [Huawei] is a major national security threat, not just to the US but to the rest of the world. We are going to shut it down".

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
It seems like this is the mechanism that Trump is always doing. Like with tariffs with other countries. First Trump puts on tariffs, bans, etc.. and then the other side complies and they gave in with Trump using the tariffs he started as currency. In that way, Trump never gives up anything and the other side must give in on all demands. It is weird that this tactic works so well.

The Chinese will come back to the table if he drops tariffs, pretend to agree to more shit and then go back to doing the same thing. The tariffs alone weren't affecting China enough to get them to agree to comprehensive reform.

He's still tariffing the EU and it's not getting him shit.

This Huawei attack though? Much better.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
To people saying it's not going to happen to companies which are not shade: Trump called imported Toyotas a national security threat. There is no stopping it now that it started. It's end of benevolent US empire and start of British style of ruling the world.

More like end of US empire, period. Germany are correct, nobody can any longer rely on the United States for business as usual. America First is basically an adversarial position towards everyone else. It's not actually Trump's worst quality, he's delivering on promises and trying to squeeze more out of China so that the balance in the relationship is more in the favour of the US, but he's playing hardball and you have to wonder what the consequences will be if China and other countries decide they just can't do business on fair terms with the US and instead start looking to found their Western branches and business relationships in Europe. European and African nations should really look at exploiting this position and inviting China in. I don't for a minute buy all the sinophobic propaganda, personally.

If there is *no* retaliation, I don't see why Trump wouldn't just push things even further. He's testing boundaries here and so far getting no push back.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
No it's because China trapped themselves by requiring technology transfers and partnerships which means attacks on Us interests locally means hurting their own companies.

Also you give the big cheeto too much credit. This ban has the fingerprints of.his trade.rep Lighthizer who is known for his hawkish position against China on trade
I don't see how that is relevant. This ban hurts American companies as well! Trump is hurting American companies by depriving them of one of their biggest business partners. Of course a Chinese ban would hurt Chinese companies, that goes without saying!
Huawei is taking a very measured response. They are saying they are going to file an official complaint.
People around them also say that they will release a new operating system before spring next year and that they are working on it since 2012.
China itself is saying that America must first roll back the sanctions and then they can talk further on trade.
In the long run, business will go away from American companies. So it makes sense to be the calm actor, even if in the short run you have to make sacrifices.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
U.S. urges South Korea to reject Huawei goods, citing security risks
SEOUL (Reuters) - The U.S. government is lobbying South Korea not to use Huawei Technologies Co Ltd products, a South Korean newspaper reported on Thursday, amid a wider push by Washington to get its allies to reject the Chinese tech firm's goods.

In one incident, a U.S. State Department official said in a recent meeting with a South Korean counterpart that local telco LG Uplus Corp, which uses Huawei's equipment, should "not be allowed to serve in sensitive areas in South Korea", Chosun Ilbo reported. The official added Huawei needs be eventually driven out of the country, if not immediately.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
More like end of US empire, period. Germany are correct, nobody can any longer rely on the United States for business as usual. America First is basically an adversarial position towards everyone else. It's not actually Trump's worst quality, he's delivering on promises and trying to squeeze more out of China so that the balance in the relationship is more in the favour of the US, but he's playing hardball and you have to wonder what the consequences will be if China and other countries decide they just can't do business on fair terms with the US and instead start looking to found their Western branches and business relationships in Europe. European and African nations should really look at exploiting this position and inviting China in. I don't for a minute buy all the sinophobic propaganda, personally.

If there is *no* retaliation, I don't see why Trump wouldn't just push things even further. He's testing boundaries here and so far getting no push back.

Pure fantasy. Huawei is not Toyota it's a low hanging fruit because more.countries than just the US have concerns with it and more.broadly China's thieving of tech to help companies like Huawei.

China was polling Chinese companies on vulnerable Canadian companies as they ratcheted up their bullying of Canada in recent months. They already cut off CANOLA Imports to hurt our farmers . So the way I see it, they are getting a taste of their own medicine

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017

Huawei is taking a measured response because they know its China the one that will make the big blow blocking the Rare Earths exports to US.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how that is relevant. This ban hurts American companies as well! Trump is hurting American companies by depriving them of one of their biggest business partners. Of course a Chinese ban would hurt Chinese companies, that goes without saying!

In the long run, business will go away from American companies.

We don't know what will happen in the long term but in the short term Huawei is fucked unless China deals and I won't be crying for them

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Like Dekuman said, it's not just shell companies. CCP themselves will lose money as well. Chinese economy was already on the verge of implosion due to years of inflated growth. The chain reaction from massively ban US companies would be too much to bear right now.

Here are some articles in English worth reading wrt why I think China will do what I think it will do.
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/pol...lls-self-reliance-china-grapples-long-term-us

And we all know that Trump is still having frequent conversation with Steve Bannon...
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dip...says-killing-huawei-more-important-trade-deal
Well, originally I was not talking about a full ban on American economies, rather a symbolic one like the Huawei ban is, like, say, banning Apple. I think it's obvious that with a full ban of each other's economy, there would be a global recession like we haven't seen before, and both economies would have a double digit recession.

The truth is, the American economy depends on China's economy as much as China's economy depends on the American economy. Those deals weren't done with a gun on their heads, they were done because China is leading in many essential sectors, and as of today many American firms absolutely rely on Chinese firms that have infrastructure and know-how nobody else does.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
China was polling Chinese companies on vulnerable Canadian companies as they ratcheted up their bullying of Canada in recent months. They already cut off CANOLA Imports to hurt our farmers . So the way I see it, they are getting a taste of their own medicine
Yeah, I don't like what China is doing either. Canada ended up stuck in the middle because of the Huawei-US mess. That sucks. There are plenty of other issues in China that are wrong as well and nobody else in the world likes it. They are no angels.

BUT, the US uses "national security" as an excuse to economically attack others, and I don't like that either. Americans get all riled up and get their hate on for the wrong reasons. China is not gonna have a political war and is not a military threat to the United States no matter how much Americans want to believe it. But they are an economic power and American business interests do not like that. With the US, it's always about the money. So the Trump government has a trade war and does their bullying, but I really don't think they fully understand what they're getting into. If they want a trade war, they're gonna get it. If the US keeps trying to economically crush other countries, they're not going to like the outcome of their trade wars.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Based off the last trade deal attempts, I think Trump has no intention of signing an agreement until Huawei is officially done for. His admin have not put any ounce of effort to come up with a valid, mutual solution. Every attempt ends early. And each day Huawei's future is even more bleak. I dont really believe in conspiracy theories, but it would not surprise me if part of this economic war's objectives is to let Huawei collapse or push them back on their time table considerably

Nov 9, 2017
I don't see that many companies/governments coming out in China's defense. Is it possible a lot of people don't like what China has done to the telecom industry and want them to face some economic pushback?

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't like what China is doing either. Canada ended up stuck in the middle because of the Huawei-US mess. That sucks. There are plenty of other issues in China that are wrong as well and nobody else in the world likes it. They are no angels.

BUT, the US uses "national security" as an excuse to economically attack others, and I don't like that either. Americans get all riled up and get their hate on for the wrong reasons. China is not gonna have a political war and is not a military threat to the United States no matter how much Americans want to believe it. But they are an economic power and American business interests do not like that. With the US, it's always about the money. So the Trump government has a trade war and does their bullying, but I really don't think they fully understand what they're getting into. If they want a trade war, they're gonna get it. If the US keeps trying to economically crush other countries, they're not going to like the outcome of their trade wars.
rK0CkQN.png
Seems like they're just playing fair now.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Well, originally I was not talking about a full ban on American economies, rather a symbolic one like the Huawei ban is, like, say, banning Apple. I think it's obvious that with a full ban of each other's economy, there would be a global recession like we haven't seen before, and both economies would have a double digit recession.

The truth is, the American economy depends on China's economy as much as China's economy depends on the American economy. Those deals weren't done with a gun on their heads, they were done because China is leading in many essential sectors, and as of today many American firms absolutely rely on Chinese firms that have infrastructure and know-how nobody else does.

The main reason I don't think China will ban Apple is because there's no reason for them to escalate the situation. Manufacturing has already began moving out of China before trade wars due to rising labor costs, it give them a time buffer to deal with internally inflated economy. They would prefer to have as much buffer time as possible. They won't give in to the US due to Huawei either because that won't fix anything in terms of the trade war. The US wants accountability in writing for stopping technology transfer practices while China doesn't want it because they would look weak to the citizens and would look bad to the world stage if they try to wiggle their way out of it after it's been written down.

Also Huawei's boss already came out on record telling Chinese people don't hate Apple because of what's happening to them hate the politicians in Washingotn DC.