• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its the truth, there many reasons China beats everyone in manufacturing, including companies sharing where they get their supplies to be a le to get better prices.

Xiaomi and Huawei are selling better phones at a fraction of the prices that Apple, yet people are cheering At Huawei stopping being a competitor.
Their entire business is predicated on IP theft and requisite technology transfers to do business in China at all.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
The Google decision will affect Huawei more in the short term(since the next iteration of the Kirin SoC is already complete), but long term Huawei's consumer electronics business will be utterly fucked if the ban isn't lifted anytime soon.

I work in the telecom industry and going after Huawei is one of the few good things Trump has done in his presidency. Even ignoring the extreme likelihood of Huawei equipment being used to spy for Chinese intelligence, Huawei employs shady business tactics to win customers for their mobile network infrastructure business(and their practices are fully shielded by the Chinese government). They also engage in state sponsored IP theft, which is the primary reason for their meteoric rise in the telecom industry.

Last edited:

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Who are these people who can say that they'd rather be spied on by china than the US? I know the US is the great satan to many posters on Era but we we're not actively half of the way toward 1984.
I mean, does anybody who lives in the West realistically think China can do anything with data from their cell phones? The US government has more incentive to use data from its citizens to manipulate/control them. I dont give a shit if China wants to spend the man hours to translate what I type into search engines. They cant do anything with it anyway.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I mean, does anybody who lives in the West realistically think China can do anything with data from their cell phones? The US government has more incentive to use data from its citizens to manipulate/control them. I dont give a shit if China wants to spend the man hours to translate what I type into search engines. They cant do anything with it anyway.

No but it would suck if you were living overseas as a Chinese expat, so at least some have cause to worry. Where there family still living in china could be shipped off to their nice new re education camps.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Should probably point out that ARM is British, not American.

This is good news. Apparently it's totally cool when the PRC blatently steals IP, bans most western technology services and requires "technology transfers," but it's TERRIBLY UNJUST when other countries try to punish them for it. Won't somebody think of the totalitarian police state? I need my cheap phones!

As always I'm also loving the Kantian philosophers in here saying the US should let themselves get spied on because it's fair.

Well said.

Also, people who don't understand that Huawei is already part of the state surveillance in China and is now exporting it to other countries like Ecuador, probably should read this investigation by the New York Times. This is what they are hoping is the future, a future where no one can speak out or do any non-conforming action without having their lives destroyed. And Huawei (along with other PRC companies) is right there in the midst of this, making the big bucks by collapsing democracies and personal liberties around the world by selling and promoting this technology.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this forum is full of american liberals who think all of that shit can just be hand waved away because China is Mordor and Xi Jinping is Sauron
Given that Pooh Bear is president for life, Sauron is a fair comparison. Incidentally, China's staunchest critics are Canadians and especially Canadian progressives.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. Why would Huawei bother to support existing product at this point? Kill all support at once and blame it on the US let everyone hate the US.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trump is truly doing his best to destroy the world economy, beyond US borders. This is downright fascist. The US cannot decide how companies do business.

We asked something not particularly shocking: 'protect our intellectual property.' China thought that was too much, so we're bending their fingers back a little.

I detest Trump, but I also think China's been taking advantage of us for years and something like this needed to happen, because nice talk only gets so far when the people you're talking to have zero interest in your well-being.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
No but it would suck if you were living overseas as a Chinese expat, so at least some have cause to worry. Where there family still living in china could be shipped off to their nice new re education camps.
Well, yes that would suck, but I imagine that's not the case for the majority of people on this forum. Obviously I'm not saying that China is perfect, but I cant imagine what they could and would do with my personal data that the US government couldn't do.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Given that Pooh Bear is president for life, Sauron is a fair comparison. Incidentally, China's staunchest critics are Canadians and especially Canadian progressives.
So solely on the fact that he is president for life? Thats what makes him evil, even though their government is acting in good faith towards its citizens?

Im not gonna defend autocratic governments, but china makes it clear to its people what its setting out to do. They afford u certain freedoms, but the government controls everything... the chinese people are fine with that given that the government has takin the standard of living to new heights.

How are they evil?

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This whole thing is really frustrating because I wanted to get a Huawei Matebook X Pro for school in August.... did a shit load of research and it pretty much had everything I wanted in a laptop, and now it looks like they will be unavailable.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
The Google decision will affect Huawei more in the short term(since the next iteration of the Kirin SoC is already completed), but long term Huawei's consumer electronics business will be utterly fucked if the ban isn't lifted anytime soon.

I work in the telecom industry and going after Huawei is one of the few good things Trump has done in his presidency. Even ignoring the extreme likelihood of Huawei equipment being used to spy for Chinese intelligence, Huawei employs shady business tactics to win customers for their mobile network infrastructure business(and their practices are fully shielded by the Chinese government). They also engage in state sponsored IP theft, which is the primary reason for their meteoric rise in the telecom industry.

The sponsored IP theft is right in front of people eyes.. let's not forget that Galaxy's fold display blueprints got stolen at given to BOe

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So solely on the fact that he is president for life? Thats what makes him evil, even though their government is acting in good faith towards its citizens?

Im not gonna defend autocratic governments, but china makes it clear to its people what its setting out to do. They afford u certain freedoms, but the government controls everything... the chinese people are fine with that given that the government has takin the standard of living to new heights.

How are they evil?
Can we ask the people in reeducation centres?

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Well, yes that would suck, but I imagine that's not the case for the majority of people on this forum. Obviously I'm not saying that China is perfect, but I cant imagine what they could and would do with my personal data that the US government couldn't do.

Until we can gather some political will to elect people in the US who will really try to 'unmask' the US surveillance state, we're stuck. There's layers to this shit and just because we can't do anything about being spied by our own government means we have to accept/support spy devices from another country.

No but don't tell Damerman that...

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah no as someone who hates the way Trump has handled this I still think handing over infrastructure such as the new 5G network to Huawei is a really bad idea.

And there are many issues why I wanna see Huawei not become to powerful what they have done in helping China create the social credit score system that could prevent you from buy something as simple as a rail ticket if you buy to much alcohol, mildly criticize the government, or hell do anything the government don't like.

Just imagine for a moment that calling Trump a fuckhead would prevent you from buying airline tickets the comparison to US is not valid at all.

And sorry I have no sympathy for Huawei and please not that without them there are still seveal other android based phone manufactures out there.
Well, if there really are concerns of privacy with Huawei, the US can prevent their equipment from being used in 5G (Already done, it's very protectionistic and unjustified but OK) or even prevent Huawei phones from being sold in the US. (Even more unjustified, but whatever)
What is a frontal attack on market freedom is preventing all American companies from doing any business with Huawei, just like that, overnight, because of a whim of the Trumpturd.

No matter how people spin it, this is war on international trade, and it's hurting American companies as much as it does Chinese ones, and creating huge collateral damage on top of that.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017

The Uighurs would beg to differ.

China treats a certain segment of its population very well, but let's not try to pretend that they're not evil.

Nov 9, 2017
The Google decision will affect Huawei more in the short term(since the next iteration of the Kirin SoC is already completed), but long term Huawei's consumer electronics business will be utterly fucked if the ban isn't lifted anytime soon.

Good response IMO.

Chinese companies just have a different mindset, it doesnt matter Who did it first, it matters Who doest it better and cheaper and the ones that wins are the consumers.

If every companie worked like that it would me amazing for us.

Wow, I guess I understand your stance now if this is what you truly believe.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if there really are concerns of privacy with Huawei, the US can prevent their equipment from being used in 5G (Already done, it's very protectionistic and unjustified but OK) or even prevent Huawei phones from being sold in the US. (Even more unjustified, but whatever)
What is a frontal attack on market freedom is preventing all American companies from doing any business with Huawei, just like that, overnight, because of a whim of the Trumpturd.

No matter how people spin it, this is war on international trade, and it's hurting American companies as much as it does Chinese ones, and creating huge collateral damage on top of that.
holy fuck their entire fucking telecommunications business was built off of stolen technology, specifically Nortel.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017

How are they evil?
Uh what? lol. I think that depends on which citizens you're talking about. How about we try facing reality for once?

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont

How are they evil?

Social Credit.

That's where the Chinese Government's credibility should die. That system is a dystopian shit show, sponsored by an authoritarian government.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
User Banned (permanent): Rationalizing systemic oppression and abuse
I'm not defending this, but they could have done something much worse... mass exidus, constant persecution... whatever it takes to make they assimilate for fear of muslim radicalism.

I don't agree with the camps, but china made an executive decision for the long term health of the country. They are trying to make them assimalite and when they make their way out of the camp, china has put in place a lot of structures to make sure their boats also elivate in the rising tide.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not defending this, but they could have done something much worse... mass exidus, constant persecution... whatever it takes to make they assimilate for fear of muslim radicalism.

I don't agree with the camps, but china made an executive decision for the long term health of the country. They are trying to make them assimalite and when they make their way out of the camp, china has put in place a lot of structures to make sure their boats also elivate in the rising tide.
What the fuck

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Until we can gather some political will to elect people in the US who will really try to 'unmask' the US surveillance state, we're stuck. There's layers to this shit and just because we can't do anything about being spied by our own government means we have to accept/support spy devices from another country.

No but don't tell Damerman that...
I was just commenting on who I'd rather be spied on by and the rationale behind it. Spying on your own citizens has far more value than spying on citizens of another nation. Plus the time and effort of translating everyone's data means that unless you're an unusually high profile target, few US citizens would ever have to worry about being spied on by China.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is some galaxy brain shit, unbelievable.

Deleted member 22407

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dude come on how can you say these are bad? Even the Saudi crown prince thinks the camps are a good idea. What are you talking about!?!

Well shit.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Social Credit.

That's where the Chinese Government's credibility should die. That system is a dystopian shit show, sponsored by an authoritarian government.
you don't understand the chinese experiment. its pure autocracy...it's never been a democracy.. there is but one party. and holding elections in china is purely symbolic. they are taking the autocracy thing as far as they can to prove its a more successful model than complete* freedom we have in the US.

I don't agree with it, but i'm not gonna act like china is something out of 1984.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017

Ok, you are a PRC shill. Thanks, now we know not to take you seriously at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
We asked something not particularly shocking: 'protect our intellectual property.' China thought that was too much, so we're bending their fingers back a little.

I detest Trump, but I also think China's been taking advantage of us for years and something like this needed to happen, because nice talk only gets so far when the people you're talking to have zero interest in your well-being.
Lol. This is just Trumpian rethoric. American companies and the US do not respect foreign intellectual property laws or data protection laws either, civilized countries have arbitration tribulals for that.

Deleted member 50454

Banned
Dec 5, 2018

Is this a bit? It's hard to tell.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This probably isn't as good of s point as you think considering the US and its policy of tearing families apart and forcing babies into what are essentially prison camps.
And there's the whataboutism, which fails anyway because despite me thinking this piece of immigration policy is vile, they aren't putting their own citizens into reeducation camps.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone livin in Vietnam currently, I'm a little closer to China than I wish to be. They could easily make me disappear if they wanted to blow the man hours on it.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I was just commenting on who I'd rather be spied on by and the rationale behind it. Spying on your own citizens has far more value than spying on citizens of another nation. Plus the time and effort of translating everyone's data means that unless you're an unusually high profile target, few US citizens would ever have to worry about being spied on by China.

No I agree, the average person wouldn't bee affected, unless china got sloppy with their data. Bottom line, the Chinese isn't going to knock down someone's' door in Minnesota for bad mouthing the CCP.

Could be useful for them to target US intelligence workers/gov't employees off the job. That's just one reason the US gov't did the right thing with Huawei.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

If Russia was able to manipulate people using trending Facebook posts based on information gained by monitoring people's social media habits then Obviously China can do much more with cellphone data.

Like we already don't like when our own government does it, why the hell should we allow other countries to do it? Like hell, I'm not even US supporter and I still think that that simply letting China have its way with backdoors is lunacy