• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
3ds clamshell design with the cracking at the hinge was the first time I wondered if Nintendo lost the bomb proof magic of past systems.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
My launch joycon are fine but I don't use them often. I mainly use the Pro controller, which has an awful, awful dpad.

I don't think there's any denying the Switch has a lot of quality issues, not just the joycon. There was the dock scratching the screen, the console bending, etc...

Ereineon

Nov 8, 2017
in spain at least they are not charging anything for fixing joycons, even way after warranty.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We knew the post-Iwata Nintendo would be different. Switch was rushed to meet their financial deadline and it's starting to show. I don't think a bad consumer experience would have given way to money under Iwata.

I bet the revision won't have these issues since they were able to take their time.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Switch had its fair share of hardware issues / design flaws since launch.

Nintendo should take the issues seriously without the pressure of lawsuits.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been drifting for awhile. Remember the screen lottery issue with the 3ds? I think it's also partly normal. Nintendo handhelds used to be pretty basic. They are much more complex now.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
I've had more issues with Nintendo Switch than I have ANY other console or handheld, from Nintendo or otherwise. It's disappointing because Nintendo's history of reliable, tough hardware is so strong. Edit: People are pointing out issues with DS and 3DS. Forgot those had some issues. Didn't experience any of them fortunately.

Jun 17, 2018
More moving parts = more to go wrong.
Nintendo's older hardware was very simplistic in design, which is why some of that stuff still works today.

Couple that with Nintendo wanting to keep the price of hardware down, probably going to get a few less than premium parts in Switch hardware

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like MS is the only one who nailed it on hardware this gen. PS4's jet engine. Switch's joycon disconnection and analog drift. My XB1X has been nothing but rock solid with no issue what so ever.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
That's what I have been saying. The quality of the Switch is not the best. That's why there are so many complaints about it.

Last edited:

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy that i had zero problems with my launch switch so far. not a single one of the complaints. That said i play 50/50 docked undocked, if people only play undocked they will use their joycons more often.

I feel like MS is the only one who nailed it on hardware this gen. PS4's jet engine. Switch's joycon disconnection and analog drift. My XB1X has been nothing but rock solid with no issue what so ever.

They also had the biggest disaster in gaming history with the RROD, probably they learned from that.

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
I don't get drift on my December 2017 model (but one of my friends did), but my left Joy-Con can't connect that well, so it needs to be attached. First time I've had problems with any controller.

My Wii did break at one point though, but it wasn't a big deal since I transferred everything to my Wii U.

Hardware problems are always gonna happen to someone.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I've got issues with both my left and right joycons, left one drifts the analog stick out of nowhere when it decides to, and right one can't be used individually because the zr button stopped working. And I'm not buying another pair unless they specify that a new revision fixed the issues.

brick-a20b

Oct 25, 2017
Does this hapen when you play with them at a distance? I usually play near the switch, and for tv play I use the pro controller

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
I'm familiar; I worked in Nintendo CS during the DS hinge debacle :P

Too far back? The person I replied to said it's "always" been cheap, and I was pointing out it hadn't been.
That must have been hell lol, sorry i didn't read the other comment properly but yeah it hasn't always been like this.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing new. It has been this way for years before the Switch even became a thing.

Sony is usually really good at hardware but they too fucked up with the Pro. The thing is noisy as hell.

Oct 26, 2017
My joycons work fine (so far) but I've had a ton of problems with the power randomly not working when I reconnect the dock after having it with me on a trip. I hesitated to even buy a Switch because of all the early QC problems. It's not good.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Does this hapen when you play with them at a distance? I usually play near the switch, and for tv play I use the pro controller
There's a few things that can cause drift, and yes, you can get it when you're playing at a distance or when there's radio interference, but when most people talk about drift, the issue they're talking about is a physical issue with the stick.

Is it dust though? I thought it was the stick rubbing off some electrical base?
Several things can cause it, which has caused quite a bit of conflicting information and advice. Dust in the stick can cause it (and is an easy fix, which has led to some underestimation of the seriousness of the issue), but it can also be caused by the metal contacts scraping away graphite inside the sticks (which doesn't have an easy fix).

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo has always had some sort of hardware issue that they never owned up to dating all the way back to the N64 (those joysticks were shit).

This is nothing new unfortunately.

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
I felt my launch switch held up good for the way I treated it. I only sent it in for Repair when it got dropped and got a blue mark on the screen. I think handhelds like the switch will always harder to build stronger and keep cost down

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has always had some sort of hardware issue that they never owned up to dating all the way back to the N64 (those joysticks were shit).

This is nothing new unfortunately.

N64 joysticks might be the only issue I've personally had with a Nintendo console, and back then I was too young to notice or care.

I do feel bad for those having issues and I wish Nintendo would focus on fixing these issues with future revisions. The Pro controller DPad issue, despite largely not affecting me, has prevented me from buying a second one.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has never been perfect in this regard, but I'd say they've been heading downhill since the Wii. Probably something to do with Iwata being big on cost cutting measures. The Switch is really a serious low point of being overly cheap and thrifty though. The hardware and accessories all have serious issues, some more of a lottery than others, and many of which have not been fixed. It's disappointing considering that the hardware is an otherwise great concept.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Got five pair and they all have displayed varying degrees of drift. I never used them for something intense like Smash. Would love to send them in for repairs ...

It's so clearly a design flaw and it hampers one of my fave things about Nintendo games—how well they control.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
It's so clearly a design flaw and it hampers one of my fave things about Nintendo games—how well they control.
Right? The controls in Mario Odyssey are buttery smooth but my red Mario Odyssey Joy-Cons both have drift, ruining the experience!

Even my new Splatoon pink and green set are drifting with the left control stick only after months of use. Electrical contact cleaner can only work for so long.

Nintendo better have figured this out for the Switch Lite in particular. Imagine swaths of people sending in their entire systems for repair.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
Arlo neglected to point out that the 3DS had more issues than just the "little rubber nub falling off sometimes".

QEONHks.jpg

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Is Arlo on ERA? Cuz I want to virtually shake his hand. FANTASTIC video.

Dude doesn't come up with catchy quips and gotcha one liners, nor does it come across as whiney. Just a mature well thought through video (minus the 3ds characterization as that system had issues too), with a mix of anecdotes that really got me to empathize with those for whom the Switch is their ONLY console (for financial reasons).

Worst of all is this is an easily fixable issue that could've been solved quietly, but now it's reputation damage to the point I can't convince my PS4 and ios gaming friends to invest in a Switch because all they see is headlines about hardware issues not being addressed and $70 joycons.

Last xmas was particularly bad with the spiderman $199 PS4 and was it $29 controllers? Something like that. Switch is a superior experience IMO but try convincing my friends to try it out and all I hear is "hardware issues" and high accessories replacement cost complaining.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Right? The controls in Mario Odyssey are buttery smooth but my red Mario Odyssey Joy-Cons both have drift, ruining the experience!

Even my new Splatoon pink and green set are drifting with the left control stick only after months of use. Electrical contact cleaner can only work for so long.

Nintendo better have figured this out for the Switch Lite in particular. Imagine swaths of people sending in their entire systems for repair.

Ordered the pokemon november release model in the hopes that any initial hardware issues with the sept release is resolved by then.

Ugh I have the splatoon ones like you...guess I have drift in my future.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
My left joycon is beyond repair. It drifts in every possible direction. Will buy new ones eventually, I guess.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Great video, not buying day one again.. had to get my dock & Joy-con's repaired. The dock cost me a bit, sad :-(