• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
covid delays not withstanding i thought it was pretty implicit to be a holiday 2020 game lest they plop odyssey 2/2D mario in that slot

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I really want to believe, but sadly I don't think that was a strong enough argument. I think March 2021 is the closest date. I'm betting Nintendo wants to really go the distance on this title now that they have the tools all set up. The last thing they want is to appear like it was phoned in. We're probably in for a treat.

No game even comes close on my list of most anticipated titles. It's going to be an exciting time when this releases :)

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I really want to believe, but sadly I don't think that was a strong enough argument. I think March 2021 is the closest date. I'm betting Nintendo wants to really go the distance on this title now that they have the tools all set up. The last thing they want is to appear like it was phoned in. We're probably in for a treat.

No game even comes close on my list of most anticipated titles. It's going to be an exciting time when this releases :)
It'll be at least 3.5 years after BotW's release. I don't think anyone could or would consider they're phoning it in.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017

Was going to say something like this. I want it now, but If there's one series I don't want to be rushed is this one.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I bet Nintendo would love it for this year but I doubt it with everything that is going on and how big of a game it is. But the main issue is that Arlo's whole argument is kind of built on a dumb premise. For some reason he's so confidant that Nintendo's "big game" can't be announced at June at the latest. Why not? Like Pokemon Let's Go was like in May right? And that was one of their biggest titles for that year. I can easily see them announcing something big between now and June that will be the huge title.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I bet Nintendo would love it for this year but I doubt it with everything that is going on and how big of a game it is. But the main issue is that Arlo's whole argument is kind of built on a dumb premise. For some reason he's so confidant that Nintendo's "big game" can't be announced at June at the latest. Why not? Like Pokemon Let's Go was like in May right? And that was one of their biggest titles for that year. I can easily see them announcing something big between now and June that will be the huge title.
To be fair The Pokemon Company does their own thing.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The video makes a lot of good points, but it is assuming that Nintendo always makes good moves and always has a plan in place. Sometimes their big, special announcement is a playable Cranky Kong...

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I really like Arlo but the patterns he keeps talking about don't actually exist, and he'd realize that if he spent like two minutes to look through some Wikis. DKCR was Nintendo's big holiday title in 2010, and that didn't get a reveal until June. New Super Mario Bros. Wii was similar in 2009. In the US Majora's Mask came out in October, which was only like a month from OoT's timeslot. Phantom Hourglass was also October whereas Spirit Tracks was December. Both didn't exactly occupy the same time slot but he keeps saying they came out in like Spring or something.

I think it's extremely feasible the big holiday game could be a 2D Mario or Metroid, or even what Retro was working on pre-MP4 if it was far enough along and they had a smaller team dedicated to finishing it off. BotW2 does seem the most likely by process of elimination but it's not the only option.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario 3D World, their big holiday game of that year, was announced in June. It's not impossible for them to announce their holiday title in a few months. In fact, it's extremely likely.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Please no. I've only done one DB despite buying at launch. That doesn't give me enough time.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah obviously it will be their fall title. I would expect Bayo 3 before the year's end as well. Metroid Prime 4 next year.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised a channel like this still exists, I thought all the YouTube stuff targeting kids was demonetized

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Predictions, expectations & general critique are not his strong characteristics.

Not sure how he forms his expectations or predictions, but they seem to pulled from thin air and with no thought behind them.
Do you know something regarding the BotW 2 release?

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Super Mario 3D World, their big holiday game of that year, was announced in June. It's not impossible for them to announce their holiday title in a few months. In fact, it's extremely likely.
3d Mario and Mario kart existing were announced in that years January direct in the style of how smash 4 was announced in 2011 and skyward sword was announced with concept art

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I had it coming this year as a 50/50 before this Covid-19 started to really ramp up, but now I'm pretty doubtful. I'm sure they'll have some kind of significant mass market appeal game for the holiday season, but I'm thinking it's going to be another Mario Party and then maybe a Wind Walker/TPHD 2-pack to try and keep the core happy. I'm sure they've had them on deck as a backup in case BOTW2 couldn't make it this year.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone always dunks on Arlo in Arlo threads haha. I like him and enjoy his videos, I'd like to believe Botw2 could come in 2020 but I don't think not having a holiday title shown in the direct mini means much.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The logic is sound and I like Arlo, but he sometimes misses the obvious.
He says Nintendo is the king of left field, but bases his entire theory on Nintendo never announcing their big games less than six months after release.

Anything is possible, and while it makes sense BOTW2 is the Xmas title, it's also possible it was never intended to be that and development wont finish in time. We simply don't know enough about Nintendo's intentions.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it would make 2020 up untill all the coronavirus madness. Now I feel less certain. Will have to wait to see how things are looking by November. Hope he's right but honestly wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo sits on it even if it is ready if this stuff is still going on.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Real question is, when's the last time a mainline (not remake) Zelda game had a release date initially revealed and then NOT had the game be delayed? Lol. Let's start with a release date announcement first before we get excited on any level. Because we know even if there's an announcement, there will be AT LEAST one delay.
That's the thing no release date has been given so technically there can't be a delay

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My guess in terms of exclusives -

Q1 - Animal Crossing.

Q2 - Xeboblade Chronicles HD.

Q3 - Mystery game revealed in June Direct (probably Super Mario 3D World Deluxe but my wild card is Retro's racer 😋).

Q4 - Breath of the Wild 2.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'm guessing the original plan was for a holiday 2020 release and it got delayed. I'm sure that development on all game projects throughout Japan is going to slow over the next several months as cases continue to rise.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I believe it's possible but im not holding my breath(of the wild)
I think Emily strongly hinted the holiday game is Mario with her "good year to be a plumber" comment, and I'm more inclined to believe her.
Announced in the June/former e3 direct: 3D world port coming soon and a tease for Odyssey 2 coming holiday. I'd cry.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
Predictions, expectations & general critique are not his strong characteristics.

Not sure how he forms his expectations or predictions, but they seem to pulled from thin air and with no thought behind them.

"Does this game/announcement stand up to my nostalgia-inflated GameCube-permeated expectations?"

Arlo is fun when he's excited and joyous, it really vibes well with his character and schtick. But his critiques and expectations can have so many blind spots and come off as so insular that it can boggle at times.

But hey, I hope we'll be playing the next legendary game this holiday. That way I can happy Arlo and not disappointed Arlo.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
He makes good points, but with the outbreak I really doubt it will come this year, this is Nintendo after all.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This holidays it will be almost 4 years after BotW released. Plenty of time for a new game on the same engine and most of the same assets...

Plus, they didn't do a name drop and "soon". They showed actual ingame story cinematics. That usually for Nintendo means the game is going nicely.
See this is what I don't get from people saying it's "too soon." The original game was in development for ~4 years, so why are people assuming almost the same time is too soon for a sequel reusing the same engine and assets? Heck, it was probably done before March but they had to hold it back until the Switch released.

It would make a lot of sense to release this year. I'm 50/50 on if it actually will, but it's silly how many people act like it's illogical when it's perfectly logical.

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen, but come on now this is just disingenuous. He posed an argument with reasoning behind it. Let's not act as if he pulled this from thin air. Don't know what's surprising about someone thinking a sequel built on the same engine and reusing assets could take the same amount of time in development as the preceding title.

Jan 13, 2020
I have no strong thoughts on this prediction, I just wanna counter the negativity in this thread and say I love Arlo! He's just about the only YouTuber I can stand.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if the Direct had intended to tease the holiday game, but the section was cut when it became apparent that it wasn't going to make it this year.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Oh yes, industry insider and renowned advocate of the "I have a good feeling about this!" train of logic Arlo! Why why why.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
You're going to get nothing else but your WiiU remastered Zeldas this holiday, and you're going to like it!

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Joke all you want about Arlo being bad at predictions, but he's definitely right about Nintendo giving their bigger games a longer runway from announcement to release. So if BOTW2 isn't this fall this is going to be a sad 2020 for Switch.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure Nintendo wanted BotW 2 out this year, but I don't know if that's possible anymore given... well... *looks at the state of the world.*