• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
This holidays it will be almost 4 years after BotW released. Plenty of time for a new game on the same engine and most of the same assets...

Plus, they didn't do a name drop and "soon". They showed actual ingame story cinematics. That usually for Nintendo means the game is going nicely.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Well, they have to have at least one big Nintendo game (meaning Mario/Metroid/Zelda/Fire Emblem etc, their IP) planned for the fall, right? And we still got nothing announced.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
It's better to expect nothing IMO. It's a fools errand trying to predict Nintendo eitherway.

Also there's, you know, a freaking global pandemic right now. Things are not gonna go as planned.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just speaking in a general sense as someone in game dev, the transition to WFH didn't cause anywhere near the loss in productivity that I initially thought it might. Some, for sure, but I'm certain that our IT team isn't the only team that did an amazing job getting everything set up for this.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
It makes sense, but with pandemic and other stuff, it may be delayed to 2021. If they do release Breath of the Wild 2, this years GOTYs could be crazy. I'm not sure we ever had a year where developers behind so many critically acclaimed past GOTY's (Naughty Dog, Nintendo and CD Projekt Red) released their games in a single year. And beside that there is also few more potential contenders as well like DOOM Eternal, Final Fantasy VII Remake or launch titles for next-gen.

Terandle

Oct 27, 2017
That E3 trailer looked like super early development footage to me, no gameplay, not even a title or logo to show. I'm going to press x to doubt here.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Honest question. With Japans insane work culture. Are they quarantined in the same way as the rest of the world? Like are Nintendo's employees working from home or still coming in everyday?

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think even Nintendo knows now with the uncertainty regarding COVID-19.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
There's enough evidence to suggest that Zelda was definitely planned for this year originally. I'm fairly doubtful that it will make it though.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I was on this train for a long time (and think it was intended to be the case), but I think 2021 might be more realistic at this point. March 2021 makes a lot of sense to me.

I'd love to be wrong, though!

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just speaking in a general sense as someone in game dev, the transition to WFH didn't cause anywhere near the loss in productivity that I initially thought it might. Some, for sure, but I'm certain that our IT team isn't the only team that did an amazing job getting everything set up for this.
Yeah, I'm not in the game industry but my entire site got moved to WFH this past week. It has been surprisingly smooth. Hopefully everyone else is having the same success.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Not with the COVID-19 craziness. No way.

Edit: I'd love to be wrong though! I mean I'd happily eat crow.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Even if this worldwide pandemic weren't a thing, there was very little chance BotW 2 would make this year. It's undoubtedly going to be a massive game, and its predecessor set the bar at a height only a handful of games in all of history were able to. Expect it early 2021 at the very least, and don't be surprised if it takes even longer.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Honest question. With Japans insane work culture. Are they quarantined in the same way as the rest of the world? Like are Nintendo's employees working from home or still coming in everyday?
Last I heard, Nintendo's employees are still coming in, but their hours are shifted so that they're not traveling at rush hours.

I'm not sure how solid their work from home infrastructure is, but Sakurai implied that in his team's case (notably from a different company, though still in Japan) development would completely halt if someone in the office was infected.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Same engine, same assets for the most part. Almost 4 years of dev time by holiday 2020. Come one guys. It's completely doable and possible for a 2020 release. If it gets delayed is because of COVID that delays things by a quarter.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
He has a fair point. Nintendo obviously wants to release something big in holiday 2020. I think we can take that as a given. Either that game has already been announced, or it hasn't been. If it has, Zelda does seem to be the most likely candidate. If it hasn't been announced yet, then it likely will be soon, since Nintendo doesn't tend to keep us in the dark about their big holiday release until the last minute. Those games are generally announced early in the year, at the latest.

Is this logic foolproof? Not even remotely. There are a lot of ways that could go wrong, both in terms of Nintendo being unpredictable and in terms of plans changing due to the virus. But at least in a world without Covid, I would say Arlo has a better than even chance of being correct here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the main reason I think they were at least initially targeting 2020 (outside of Zell) before COVID happened is because they showed a full story trailer as the first teaser for this game, and Nintendo never does story stuff early on in production.

Especially for Zelda. Think about how every other 3D Zelda was revealed or teased, they never had anything nearly as in depth as this trailer.

But yeah with COVID going on I have my doubts now.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
If they have only a not-so-big game for holidays, they can always finally give us Prime Trilogy.
Like rumors said it was ready last year but they're sitting on it because of the MP4 studio shifting.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
If COVID doesn't affect the console launches this fall...Then yeah, Nintendo would need something like Botw 2 to steal some of that attention. Either that or Odyssey 2.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That is a very specific percentage number, it must be true only for that reason!

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Japan isn't quarantined at all. There hasn't been any lockdown there and Abe has even pushed back against the idea of locking down Tokyo because he feels it'd hurt their economy.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Holiday 2020 just seems like a good time for it, 3.5+ years after the original is more than enough dev time. Odyssey 2 could pop up, but it would be weird to have announced BotW 2 like they did only to have Odyssey 2 get announced a year later and come out before it. But Nintendo gonna Nintendo, anything could happen.

I also think Zelda is a better game to have release in contrast to the next gen systems than Mario would be. They're comparable sales wise, at least on the Switch, but Zelda resonates more with the hardcore crowd and would be a good way to keep Nintendo in their mindshare despite the release of new systems.

Maybe with Covid-19 those next gen systems will be delayed and Nintendo will push out Zelda too, but who knows. I'm still betting it's their big Holiday game. It's what we know exists. Everything else is just speculation.

Deleted member 59848

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 8, 2019
I think Emily strongly hinted the holiday game is Mario with her "good year to be a plumber" comment, and I'm more inclined to believe her.

Odyssey 2 could pop up, but it would be weird to have announced BotW 2 like they did only to have Odyssey 2 get announced a year later and come out before it.

It wouldn't be weird to reveal it in the June/E3-ish Direct and release in November. I'm sure we'll see more BOTW 2 then as well.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Japan isn't quarantined at all. There hasn't been any lockdown there and Abe has even pushed back against the idea of locking down Tokyo because he feels it'd hurt their economy.
He feared they would cancel the Olympics if he did anything or disclosed the infected actual numbers. Now that the olympics have properly been delayed, Abe is starting to do things to control the virus.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
If its not Zelda then what was their planned big game for the winter?

I doubt Metroid is ready.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
He feared they would cancel the Olympics if he did anything or disclosed the infected actual numbers. Now that the olympics have properly been delayed, Abe is starting to do things to control the virus.

People have been questioning their real numbers for some time. As it stands Japan has fewer confirmed cases than Luxembourg, a country with just over 600k people. But regardless of whether it's true, locking down seems like the best option since their numbers are starting to rise.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Maybe, idk, i think its too early, but I guess they are reusing lots of things, so its plausible

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I thought so before, but now with Emily saying it will be a "good year for the plumber" I'm starting to think Odyssey 2 will be this year's holiday title.
That's cool to hear!