• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arkham Knight?

• Good Batman Game!

Votes: 691 63.1%
  • Good Game! - But not a good Batman game.

Votes: 70 6.4%
  • Best Game in the Series!

Votes: 116 10.6%
  • Best Superhero Game Period!

Votes: 46 4.2%
  • Bad Batman Game!

Votes: 69 6.3%
  • Bad Game! - Regardless of Batman

Votes: 103 9.4%

• Total voters

Window

Oct 27, 2017
The issue I had with the game and the reason I dropped it was the lack of focus on the core gameplay from previous games. There's just not as many opportunities to do the stealth puzzle box segments which the previous games excelled at. It's either Batmobile or beat up thugs. Batmobile was fine but the issue is they made it a core gameplay element which gets tiring and not fun.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
Mandatory batmobile use in environmental puzzles gets old really fast. The tank fighting and car chasing are really fun though.
And it controls really well. You gotta hand it to them there.

Amazing that i can play it at 1080p/>60 on ma peecey. Looks so damn good!

end note: Rocksteady spoiled us with asylum/city. I cant even begin to understand the pressure they've had to endure, making a third one.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
My only issue with the Batmobile is that the combat doesn't get interesting until 60-70% through the game when they start throwing harder fights at you. Once you're taking on armies of tanks and having to bob and weave through a web of target lines while using specials at the right time, it can be pretty engaging. The GCPD standoff near the end was a highlight imo.

Spaggy

Oct 26, 2017
I like it, Batman feels the best to control, at least in terms of traversal, out of the Rocksteady trilogy (haven't played Origins). I just wish there were more stealth/indoor sections and fewer tank battles. I still haven't finished it, though. I got stuck during a certain tank boss battle, kept dying and decided just to uninstall the game.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like the game enough but coming from Asylum and City I was really disappointed in their boss fights. The Ra's Al Ghoul fight is one of my all time favorite boss fights from City.

vixlar

Dec 5, 2017
I played it on PS4 when it was released. I finished it and I think it was ok. I couldn't get 100% because it was borrowed. For reference, I got 100% on previous Arkham games and I love all things related with Batman.

Then I played it again when it was free on Epic Games Store. With all DLC. With no Denuvo. Now I had the time to look for every secret, for every detail. I was amazed. I learnt many Batmobile tricks. The Mr. Freeze part was cool. I finally found the bomb guys. I played all DLC. I think I enjoyed it a lot more. But.. I'm not sure, but the game received a little patch just before a could finish it and since then the game had a lot of hiccups, and I couldn't play it in English. It is good that the Latin American Spanish is well done, but I wanted to play all the game in English.

OP
OP
Video Games Are Dumb
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I played it on PS4 when it was released. I finished it and I think it was ok. I couldn't get 100% because it was borrowed. For reference, I got 100% on previous Arkham games and I love all things related with Batman.

Then I played it again when it was free on Epic Games Store. With all DLC. With no Denuvo. Now I had the time to look for every secret, for every detail. I was amazed. I learnt many Batmobile tricks. The Mr. Freeze part was cool. I finally found the bomb guys. I played all DLC. I think I enjoyed it a lot more. But.. I'm not sure, but the game received a little patch just before a could finish it and since then the game had a lot of hiccups, and I couldn't play it in English. It is good that the Latin American Spanish is well done, but I wanted to play all the game in English.

That's really neat! I didn't know they redubbed all the dialogue in different languages. That's really expensive!

Deleted member 76539

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 31, 2020
It's the most okay game. They really need to stop with the riddler shit though and having that be a true ending requirement was awful.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I recently played through Knight and Origins back to back. Knight was so, so much better than Origins it was jarring. The predator encounters and combat were just miles better, it was crazy. Then the presentation as a whole.... it was so weird. Like Origins had all these off putting cuts to pre-rendered cutscenes. Then I play Knight, I jump off a building after a fight and land in a the Batmobile mid glide, drive to another island, launch out, flay around and land on a rooftop then enter a building and get a cutscene. All completely seamless, no loading no camera cuts at all. You can see who was the creator and who was the imitator for sure.

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
I really like Arkham Knight. Probably my second favorite after Asylum, which was such a nice surprise and well balanced all around. I just really liked the batmobile and the controls, never had an issue with it, and made moving around easier IMO than in City.

Since others are doing it, if I ranked the 4 Arkham games, it would be:
Asylum > Knight > City > Origins

I beat the main three games, but never got past the Deathstroke boss in Origins. May have to go back to it.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I really like Arkham Knight. Probably my second favorite after Asylum, which was such a nice surprise and well balanced all around. I just really liked the batmobile and the controls, never had an issue with it, and made moving around easier IMO than in City.

Since others are doing it, if I ranked the 4 Arkham games, it would be:
Asylum > Knight > City > Origins

I beat the main three games, but never got past the Deathstroke boss in Origins. May have to go back to it.

Do it. Deathstroke is the worst boss due to the repetition/simplistic mechanics. Story and gameplay past that is really good.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
It can't be said enough times: the Riddler trophies were too many, too repetitive, and having to solve all to unlock the true ending was just wrong. Besides that I had a good time with Arkham Knight.

vixlar

Dec 5, 2017
That's really neat! I didn't know they redubbed all the dialogue in different languages. That's really expensive!
Yes. The "spoiler character" was great. And the part when he sings is fantastic. The lyrics are good too. Some familiar voices, like the voice from Egon Spengler (this was a direct hit on my childhood) or Beto Velez, the voice for Homer Simpson... He is the Penguin. And I thought Batman and "spoiler character" were the same voices from the animated series. (Sadly, not)

In general WB games has great Latin American spanish dubs. When I played Shadows of Mordor, I got excited at hearing Gollum. It was like I was hearing Andy Serkins in spanish. And Mortal Kombat X has the voice from Goku (Mario Castañeda) for Johnny Cage. It is hilarious.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The way the game utilized batmobile was wack. Occasional combat and puzzle solving? Sure, but the way the game makes it such a core part of the gameplay can be a total slog. And yeah I seriously rolled my eyes when the riddler was making me race underground lol

still, its a good game. It has some really amazing moments.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
I love Arkham Knight. It's the best superhero game for me and it became one of my favorite goat.
I liked the previous games but not enough to buy AK, I played it for free from EGS and I liked it do much I did everything besides the riddler trophies.
I bought it again on steam and I am replaying it right now
I love most things about it, graphics and art style, story, atmosphere, the batmobile and even the tank combat (with mouse controls).
It made me feel like a kid again.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to give it a replay because of this thread.

The first thing that jumps out is how much worse the combat camera is compared to the previous games. It never stops spinning around and reorienting at the worst times.

Still a stunning looking game though.

OP
OP
Video Games Are Dumb
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Yes. The "spoiler character" was great. And the part when he sings is fantastic. The lyrics are good too. Some familiar voices, like the voice from Egon Spengler (this was a direct hit on my childhood) or Beto Velez, the voice for Homer Simpson... He is the Penguin. And I thought Batman and "spoiler character" were the same voices from the animated series. (Sadly, not)

In general WB games has great Latin American spanish dubs. When I played Shadows of Mordor, I got excited at hearing Gollum. It was like I was hearing Andy Serkins in spanish. And Mortal Kombat X has the voice from Goku (Mario Castañeda) for Johnny Cage. It is hilarious.

Man, I might honestly switch languages! Depends on the subtitle options. I had no idea WB put in all that work. But I suppose with all their work in animation, they've got everybody's number.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Amazing game. Not the best in the series, but I'll be damned if it isn't a really good game.

ZJmehvA.gif

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it. Great game that just overdid the Batmobile. I love it's inclusion in the game and just driving around but I didn't care for the missions around it. It's just so much fun being Batman in the actual city.

Also such a gorgeous looking game. Really wowed me at the time.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely the weakest of all Arkham titles.

To add to existing issues voiced with Arkham Knight, the lack of 'boss and mob' combat encounters like those in Arkham City during the main game was really disappointing. I think the only comparable fight is the Albert King sequence.

The more Ubisoft-style "checklist" side objectives, e.g. destroying an x. number of militia watchtowers to raise the total completion percentage, definitely sucked.

One of the biggest narrative missteps for me was the relative absence in Harley, Two-Face, and Penguin in visibly supporting Scarecrow's efforts to eliminate the Batman. Perhaps taking down all three in a set of main story arcs should have led to a conclusive showdown with Crane? The game relegates Penguin and Two-Face to inconsequential side missions. Then you've got the mess of weaving in the Arkham Knight's dance with both Batman and Scarecrow.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Can I just say how awesome the GCPD building in this game is?

Over the course of the story it gets filled with more prisoners and the police NPCs comment on the recent story stuff you did.

Attention to detail was pretty good there.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I enjoyed Arkham Knight. It is better than Origins, but both City and Asylum are the king's. The batmobile stuff I had no problems with and to me anyways it was easy to control.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I played (and 100%ed) Knight late last year and absolutely loved it; I think it absolutely stands next to Asylum and City in terms of quality, and they're possibly my favorite trilogy in gaming (not a fan of Origins, personally). Also, I loved the Batmobile (though I do agree that choosing Slade to be a tank fight was strange - they could have just used a different villain).

I had some issues with the story, and Batman's increasingly brutal persona can feel... problematic... but overall I really enjoyed playing the game and thing it added a lot of new and interesting ideas to the formula.

I definitely think having distance from all of the launch controversy and getting the DLC included up front improved my perception of the game though - I can see why some people were angry initially. I hope it has a more positive legacy than when it initially released.

Last edited:

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
Batmobile was never the problem, but the generic as hell open world design. Which certainly didn't get more refreshing over the last years.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
The Arkham series brings me a lot of joy. Owning 6 copies of Asylum (3x standard and 3x goty on ps3, 360 and pc), pc and 360 with City plus Origins and buying multiple versions of Arkham Knight (ps4 ltd edition console, pc statue edition, then buying the goty xb1 version... and getting the digital download version on ps4 some time later.).

I respected how good the graphics were at the time but felt it was more of a chore to play through. It wasn't until a few years later that I replayed the game and really enjoyed it.

Still think Asylum was the best in the series. I thought City was the worst storyline wise and bad mission structure. Origins was amazing despite the game breaking bugs.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
Hated the batmobile sections, and most of the story missions require it's use. It's a game crying out for a "skip this shit" button for batmobile use.

Other than that, it was a pretty decent game.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
It's funny reading all of this when I finally played it recently and my first thought was how well Joker was implemented! He's not at all back from the dead, because that would suck, but he's still a main antagonist thanks to the actual antagonist's toxin. Felt really appropriate.

I thought the Batmobile was fine, although maybe overused for the main campaign, and as a result boss fights sure were a letdown compared to previous games.

Loved the game, though! That was a perfect length for an open-world game, that's for sure!

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
I love Knight. Gotham looks great, most of the side missions are a ton of fun, and on harder difficulties I feel like The Bat.

Plus, the end with "I am vengance, I am the night, I am BATMAN." was great.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Asylum did some pretty cool stuff story wise.

Thought they made some really awesome decisions, especially during the later third of the game.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
The game was good but there was a couple of issues, the plot was really predictable so it was hard to be invested in it and the batmobile sections were trash, I know OP mentions it was not that bad but the most clear memory of that game for me was how horrible and frustrating the batmobile sections were.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried the game two days ago and it really runs great.

90fps (1440p) almost locked outside of powerslides with the batmobile but that is probably due to the nvidia smoke effects. It goes down to the low 60s for a few seconds but then goes straight up to 90.

9900k, 2080, ssd. My Odyysey G7 also works great with no tearing or stuttering. Looks and plays so smooth.

Will be interesting to see the PS5/XSX bc versions.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Story:
Origins > City > Knight > Asylum

Combat:
City > Knight > Asylum > Origins

Predator:
Knight > City > Origins > Asylum

World:
Knight > City > Asylum > Origins

Graphics:
Knight > Origins > City > Asylum

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
A pretty mediocre story, Batmobie only being fun in smaller portions and the infamous true ending locked behind Riddler's trophies make it the worst in the series, but it's still a great Batman game in almost all regards. Loved the considerate open world design.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
I was tired of the Batman formula by the time it came out and side missions were pants but it's amazing how great this game still looks.

OP
OP
Video Games Are Dumb
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I know OP mentions it was not that bad but the most clear memory of that game for me was how horrible and frustrating the batmobile sections were.

I think the really bad part is the final Batmobile mission that goes on for something absurd like 18-20 minutes of take fights. That particular mission is HORRIBLE. I personally would patch it because it's unfair for most players and too tedious for people who enjoy a challenge.

I suppose to put it another way, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas has a world of content but all some remember is "All you had to do was follow the damn train CJ!"

The batmobile is honestly pretty great! You drive up, blowing things up for three minutes. Good times. Nice mechanic cleanser. But there's a very brief, very specific section where they pushed it way too hard. It should have stayed the quirky goof is is for 90% of the game.