• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Pretty much. It's awful that she was so dismissive on the last moments of that woman, but I can't see what she could have done to actually save that woman :(

That's considered the best course of action.

Abridged:
A vehicle sinking in deep water will fill completely with water within 3–8 minutes; however, the windows can only be opened within the first minute or so, until water rises high enough to push against the windows.27 Thus the Sinking Vehicle Protocol instructs the occupant(s) to exit through any window(s) into the water as quickly as possible (preferably within one minute) and then hold on to the still-floating vehicle until ready to swim to shore. A vehicle that is stranded in floodwater, by definition, is in contact with the ground/road and is not floating or sinking for the moment; therefore, the goal should be to exit, but avoid the water and get on the roof to wait for rescue.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I don't give a fuck she had already resigned. She was on the job when this happened.

Charge her.
With being an asshole?

That's a fireable offense but not necessarily a criminal one. And she was already leaving.

From the linked article, she doesn't appear to have been negligent, since she still did her job and routed first responders to the trapped woman. They however were unable to safely reach her through the floodwaters and so she drowned. Unless she failed to pass along information that would have led to a different response that might have saved the woman she wasn't being negligent, just a dick.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I understand being a dispatcher must be a SHITTY job, but holy hell have some empathy.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
bc77c796158c48caf8535ea11e1ea5012ad8d16cf406b9603cbe82206059d625.jpg

We need a "You're not negligent, you're just an asshole" version.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell from the story if the dispatcher was merely rude or if she neglected to send help. How long from the start of the call did it take til the help was sent?

If the dispatcher did her job and was just rude about it then maybe she should be fired but I'm not going to personally hold her in contempt. If she just did nothing while the woman was drowning then it seems like she should be held fully accountable.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She was shitty, but didn't contribute to the death. Trying to calm the woman was good. The lecturing bs and blame was way out of bounds, however.

Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate Commentary
That dispatcher deserves a few punches to the dome. Fucking hate people like that. Worthless.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
People keep saying the dispatcher should be charged but she did have first responders on scene in 12 minutes. It took them over an hour to actually get to her it seems.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Dude, that fucking hurt to hear. Nearly in tears over that call. How fucking callous, and uncaring. She's apologizing to you over not seeing water, and you're telling her this is a teachable moment, while she slowly faces her own mortality? This is your fucking job, and now someone is dead. Shit like this really makes me give up on humanity. We are just fucked man.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying the dispatcher should be charged but she did have first responders on scene in 12 minutes. It took them over an hour to actually get to her it seems.

Wouldn't that type of behavior possibly fall under some form of harassment? Just seems crazy how she's mentally torturing an individual, but too bad, she quit her job and has the blue line there.

OP
OP
Lundren

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, that fucking hurt to hear. Nearly in tears over that call. How fucking callous, and uncaring. She's apologizing to you over not seeing water, and you're telling her this is a teachable moment, while she slowly faces her own mortality? This is your fucking job, and now someone is dead. Shit like this really makes me give up on humanity. We are just fucked man.

This is exactly my take on this. I don't care how legal what the dispatcher did was. I care that we allowed someone like that in charge of talking to people in terrible circumstances.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I used to work 911 calls... Not an easy job. But still not the way she should have handle the case at all. She was right to tell them woman to stay calm, but everything else is just her being an ass.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard that the water pressure makes it so that you can't open your door, but what about your windows*? Could you just roll it down and escape, or will that not work.

*assuming that if you have power windows they are working

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I really want to hear the entire call in context to know if she gave her the escape instructions or not.
I've heard that the water pressure makes it so that you can't open your door, but what about your windows*? Could you just roll it down and escape, or will that not work.

*assuming that if you have power windows they are working
Read the link I posted above. It depends on water levels, so again, context is important. Typically the first instruction is: GET OUT.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Read the link I posted above

Which is here:

And here's the relevant information:
A vehicle sinking in deep water will fill completely with water within 3–8 minutes; however, the windows can only be opened within the first minute or so, until water rises high enough to push against the windows

I'm not entirely sure if that fits this particular scenario*, but at least it's something.

edit; *If she was on the phone for half an hour, it doesn't.

Oh well, thanks anyway. Back to the drawing board!

Last edited:

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
what a horrible human being, so apethetic, so hateful
911 dispatch centers are notoriously underfunded, understaffed, and behind the technological curve, on top of the stress of communicating with people in such dire straights. It's almost inevitable that things like this will happen.

That being said, fuck that dispatcher forever.
Yes, I've had who friend who was a dispatcher. You lose your Emotions and empathy quite quickly dealing with these types of situations.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Wouldn't that type of behavior possibly fall under some form of harassment? Just seems crazy how she's mentally torturing an individual, but too bad, she quit her job and has the blue line there.
Pretty certain that would be a gross misapplication of law. The dispatcher did what she was required to, she just wasn't nice about it. Which is terrible, but not at all criminal.

OP
OP
Lundren

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Another thing that I read was that Stevens thought she was in a parking lot, when she was actually in a creek. The dispatcher didn't ping her cellphone for her exact location until 25 minutes into the call. The responders reached the wrong location in 12 minutes.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Which is here:

And here's the relevant information:

I'm not entirely sure if that fits this particular scenario*, but at least it's something.

edit; *If she was on the phone for half an hour, it doesn't.

Oh well, thanks anyway. Back to the drawing board!
That's why I want to hear the whole call. I want to know what she did at the very beginning. Did she have a chance to get out? Was the vehicle already surrounded by water? This is crucial information. The attitude is problematic, but did she tell her what she needed to do?

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I hope that POS dispatcher she can hear that poor woman every day of her life forever. She was in a position to help her remain calm and maybe conserve some oxygen, or even just for comfort on last moments, and her pettiness got the best of her.

The drowning woman said she was sorry multiple times! that is heartbreaking.

Jazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I feel so bad for the decedent. My thoughts are with her family. Drowning is definitely not a good way to go.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo that dispatcher should not have a job anymore. I know a lot of people call emergency services for stupid reasons and I know that sometimes people of their own volition get themselves into dumb situations but dispatchers should always treat calls seriously. Fuck off.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My sorrow for the poor woman who drowned outweighs the anger I feel for the dispatchers rhetoric. Even if death was inevitable, to help someone in their final moments as best you can, until the end... that is what it means to be called to serve.

Poor woman.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The dispatcher is an asshole and thankfullu is no longer in that line of work but I'd prefer we don't come up with more bullshit reasons to put people in jail.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I hope the 911 center learned that they need to IMMEDIATELY remove staff who hand in their resignation.

Seriously, who the fuck lets someone who already handed in their resignation sit through one last shift, let alone a 911 call center? What the hell.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the 911 center learned that they need to IMMEDIATELY remove staff who hand in their resignation.

Seriously, who the fuck lets someone who already handed in their resignation sit through one last shift, let alone a 911 call center? What the hell.

Uh... Plenty of jobs have a last day. 2 week notice is pretty normal.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Because she gave two weeks notice? Which is fairly standard? Why would an employer just assume that anyone who hands in their two weeks notice is going to tank it on their last day?

Dec 31, 2017
Extremely unprofessional and downright vile.

The last thing the woman had to hear was that dispatchers condescending lecture.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a job that absolutely needs to be
automated via AI. Get bias and error out of this ASAP

Some company is doing this right now I'm sure for it.

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is as a 911 operator you get pretty numb to panicked people because you literally deal with it all day. I bet operators snap fairly often.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is as a 911 operator you get pretty numb to panicked people because you deal with it all day. I bet operators snap fairly often.
I imagine this is the case. It is unfortunate she chose to act the way she did, but I can only imagine what working in a dispatch position does to somebody's emotional stability. In this specific instance, we're talking about you listening to somebody die and having a rough idea if they're going to make it or if first responders will be too late.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
How was she on the phone for an hour? Why didn't the dispatcher get someone out there?