• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sknr.net

Arkane Reveals New Deathloop Images And A Note From The Art Director - Skewed 'n Reviewed

Looks great, cannot wait to play. A NOTE FROM ARKANE LYON Creating an immersive in-game world is extremely challenging and motivating. For DEATHLOOP, we drew inspiration from books, movies, music, and real-world places to create Blackreef Island. Key inspiration came from the Faroe Islands...
Creating an immersive in-game world is extremely challenging and motivating. For DEATHLOOP, we drew inspiration from books, movies, music, and real-world places to create Blackreef Island.

Key inspiration came from the Faroe Islands, which have a very wild and mysterious atmosphere (just Google it, you'll understand) and The Thing (Carpenter, 1982), as we love the cold, isolated and intimate atmosphere of this masterpiece.

In Blackreef you will also find a mix of warm 60s vibes, technology, madness, possibilities, and fun. We can't wait to show you!

Thank you so much for your support – We know how much the community enjoys the art featured in our games, and our dedicated art team is happy to continue the tradition.

Please enjoy an exclusive first look at some in-game paintings that will fill the world of DEATHLOOP.

- Sébastien Mitton, Art Director

et4niwfxuag9nbizokac.jpeg

et4nivyxuaq-zf19wklo.jpeg

et4nivrxeaqjk-6hbk6o.jpeg

et4niwkxuaeeq994lj4s.jpeg

et4ny83xuam02_h4sjc1.jpeg

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Arkane games always have top tier art design, including the in-game paintings. Love it.

And those coffin-shaped boats are straight out of Dishonored.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still angry about that one poster here who implied Arkane's games have ugly art direction.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I LOVE how this game looks, but at this point if they're just showing concept stills when it supposedly ships in 3 months, I'm concerned that the date will push again.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Still not sure where I'm going to play this. Is Death Loop going to be on Game Pass PC? If not, I'll probably grab it for PS5.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The poster was right. Arkane games are among the ugliest in the whole industry.
Cheap comic look all the way.

People get banned every day for all sorts of shit, yet we allow these unimaginably garbage opinions to persist? Is this the kind of forum we want? Is this the future we accept?

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Sergey Kolosov is incredible.
I LOVE how this game looks, but at this point if they're just showing concept stills when it supposedly ships in 3 months, I'm concerned that the date will push again.
It's not like we don't have plenty of gameplay. The art and paintings have always been very prominent in Arkane games so I'm not surprised they're getting the spotlight here.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Arkane's artwork is always stunning and beautiful; Deathloop is no exception.

This game is actually the reason why I got a PS5, hoping it would've been a launch title. That's okay; it's now releasing on my birthday so I have time.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I have not followed this much, ever since the reveal gave "arena multiplayer chase-assassinate each other" vibes. I am single player story journey kind of player.
Still, pretty nice to see art design from a studio i hold high in my thoughts.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love Arkane's games.

I think their art style in game can be a mixed bag. Dishonored 1 is hampered by really old school Unreal Engine-esque cartoonish looking characters. Dishonored 1 can look beautiful, but was limited by the technology and engine, and so the drab and dreary style made sense to fit the themes of the game. I think Dishonored 2 is an incredible looking game, at times just stunningly beautiful, and I also think they had more variety in Dishonored 2, the setting allowed them to explore a much more colorful palette, and show contrasting architecture throughout it... Like, contrasting the Mediterranean 19th century style from the modern Palatial estate, to the futuristic mansion, etc. Dishonored 2 is one of my favorite visual games, and I love the world, and absolutely love the "sense of place" you feel where through most levels you can figure out exactly where you are in the world usually by finding a high point or a vista, or looking back on where you've been. It's something they just did masterfully. This was something missing from most of Dishonored 1, except for the bridge (even the Lighthouse level, you were shrowded in fog/storm so you couldn't see the rest of the world really), and I'm glad they expanded on it throughout the game. For instance, the Hound Pits (...?) pub is in an alcove that is intentionally hidden narrative wise, but also really hard to figure out where you are in relation to the other areas in the game, visually. In Dishonored 2 they fixed this by making the world crescent shaped and you can basically see every region you're going to or coming from in a really clever way, even levels that are tightly confined (like most of the Dust District), there's a handful of overlooks or spots you can peer out and see precisely where you came from, and then also of course the large dust chutes are visible from almost every other region in the game.

Death Loop doesn't wow me from what I've seen so far of either the characters or the setting. Particularly the grunts, I get that they might be going for ... They've had that trend in the Dishonored games to have sort of like stylistically faceless grunts (the overseers guards, the assassins, the masquerade party) in various parts of the game, which has an unsettling nature to it, I've don't love it, and this seems to really be going in that direction with all of the grunts. Basically faceless or masked NPCs, and I think it'll make sense narrative wise -- assuming these assassins/murderers are basically in a hostile world trying to escape and so they commandeer these reset-able/ground-hog-day like grunts who are basically faceless NPCs / automatons -- but ... it's not something I really like from what I've seen so far.

Last edited:

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017
Someone on the game's subreddit posted artwork from the PSN store of the Visionaries (what they call the targets).

47ah5jhvv3e61.jpg

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I have not followed this much, ever since the reveal gave "arena multiplayer chase-assassinate each other" vibes. I am single player story journey kind of player.
From what I´ve seen and heard of/about this game so far, I think, it will be more like a Hitman-game but with the brilliant level- and art design we know from Arkane. It`s kind of an Assassin sandbox, I guess. The multiplayer thing is optional.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I love the art style of Arkane's stuff. I need to dip into that artbook thread to see if they have one

I'm pretty sure the game is a single player focused time loop story, but you can have another human be the character that's constantly targeting you

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I liked the less angled look from the trailer, but I think this game has some amazing style. Can't wait.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Multiplayer isn't required as it can be set to AI for the other character.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Does the exclusivity matter for Game Pass PC?

I would be extremely surprised if Sony allowed that without some kind of renegotiation from Microsoft, it's one thing to be on PC at a normal price point and another thing entirely for it to be on a subscription service that gives it away basically for free or low cost to subscribers on another platform. I'd imagine lawyers would be smart enough to have language to prevent such actions, especially once it was public Microsoft was buying Bethesda. It's possible but like I said, I'm sure it would require Microsoft to have talks with Sony, even if Microsoft owns the company making the game at release, contracts have to be honoured. Even then with all the marketing Sony has put into the game on ps5 before Bethesda was being bought by MS, I doubt Sony would make a change to allow it without a big sum being paid up, they would have paid for exclusivity to push ps5s under the impression that PC would still be allowed to go forward as a priced release.

Still it could happen and I'd not complain as i don't have a ps5 and don't plan to for at least a year, and this is the only Bethesda game I've cared about playing since the original xbox so getting it on pc gamepass would be a bonus.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for Deathloop. Hope we get some extended unedited gameplay soon as well, I just wanna get a sense of the flow of the game.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
From what I´ve seen and heard of/about this game so far, I think, it will be more like a Hitman-game but with the brilliant level- and art design we know from Arkane. It`s kind of a Assassin sandbox, I guess. The multiplayer thing is optional.
Multiplayer isn't required as it can be set to AI for the other character.
From what I´ve seen and heard of/about this game so far, I think, it will be more like a Hitman-game but with the brilliant level- and art design we know from Arkane. It`s kind of a Assassin sandbox, I guess. The multiplayer thing is optional.

Thanks guys :)
I'll have it on my radar then (incidentally I love hitman ahaha)

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I can definitely understand why people wouldn't like the slightly cartoony, "carved out of wood" style of Arkane character faces, but I think stylized faces age a lot better than realistic ones.

Ravenhawk

Oct 27, 2017
I have no problem with Arcane's art design, but how their games control on console leave a lot to be desired.