• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
207GB.
200,700MB.
222,787,215,360B.

It was a ~65GB download. How. How the hell did it more than triple in size?

There's a 137GB's of fragmentation on my hard drive.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
If you think the file is too big, wait till you get a taste of the investment.

I thought my total gametime would amount to something like 1-2 weeks. My gametime is 541 hours and im 200 hours behind someone that I played with.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
a) the update routine is kinda "strange" which causes the game to create a full shadow copy of itself
b) you have all DLC installed even if you don't own them
c) the files are are stored umcompressed which increases its its size by another 50% or so

You should be "happy" that you own the EGS version because this version does not support any kind of modding (which is the reason why you can't join most community servers). A single ARK mod can easily reach 10gb in filesize. There are ARK installations that are larger than 500gb. So yeah .. it's big.

OP
OP
Grimminski

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
a) the update routine is kinda "strange" which causes the game to create a full shadow copy of itself
b) you have all DLC installed even if you don't own them
c) the files are are stored umcompressed which increases its its size by another 50% or so

You should be "happy" that you own the EGS version because this version does not support any kind of modding (which is the reason why you can't join most community servers). ARK mods can easily take up anything between an additional 10gb and 200gb. There are ARK installations that are larger than 500gb or 1tb.
I...

Think I'm just going to bail. There's no excuse for any of that.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Welcome to next generation of gaming, where games will require half of your hard drive space to run. I won't be surprised if they start making games where it's at 200 GB of space required.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I welcome the Stadia/Nvidia GeForce Now future for these types of games.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I...

Think I'm just going to bail. There's no excuse for any of that.
You've saved yourself an incredibly horrible experience. ARK is by no small margin the worst piece of crap I've ever played. I ran a community server and waited years for fixes and updates that were pegged for the first month before finally giving up on anything being fixed.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to reinstall modern warfare today and bnet says the download size is 212 GB. I said OK bye.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
If you have all the additional maps, they really do add up space wise. The worst part is it needs probably the same amount of space to patch with. I had a 14gb patch once and had over 100gb free on the SSD and it still said not enough space to install. I literally had to delete everything off a 500gb SSD and only leave Ark on there to get it to patch. Stupid.

Game's awesome though. I tend to alternate between Ark/Conan/7 Days to Die. Play each for 2-3 months then switch, by the time each game comes around again there's usually enough new content to keep it fresh.

Last edited: