• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I'm sure they definitely wouldn't have made a sequel to a game that sold over 16 million copies, along with a ton of season passes (there were two released for the game) that is still very popular for people to play without MS...
I genuinely disagree. It's not just hey, it's a success. Make another. It's hey, we have hundreds of employees and shareholders and blah blah blah. Nothing is guaranteed s

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I genuinely disagree. It's not just hey, it's a success. Make another. It's hey, we have hundreds of employees and shareholders and blah blah blah. Nothing is guaranteed s
So what, you think the studio would have followed up their hugely successful game that made them tons of money with nothing?

Anyway, ARK came out first on Xbox if I remember right (after PC obviously) and the team isn't exactly very large and struggles as it is to get their games running decently on a small number of platforms so it's not at all surprising to me that they're releasing on just PC and Xbox (at least for now).

Oct 31, 2017
Saw this one on reddit

lfugs4ceoh461.jpg

People can be so dumb on the internet... I love it! lmao

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
watching the trailer live i thought they were Dad of War'ing Turok, and I am vaguely peeved that this game is not Turok: Dad edition.

That being said, good on the team for being able to put out a high profile release after their original indie success. Must be cool for them to be able to work with star power after humble origins.

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
Does the first Ark game have a story or anything?
Explorer Notes that explain the story Souls style via flavor text. There has been a concentrated effort making videos of these stories on YouTube by fans. My enthusiasm for the animated series has been...reticent since I don't know how true to the characters and the story they'll stick.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Wait.

So...do we actually play as Vin Diesel now, or are we still the most freakishly hulking pile of meat that the character creation system allows?

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this a single player game? The first one was not if I remember correctly.
Trailer vibe looked fun, could get behind a singleplayer game.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Is Wildcard the same studio responsible for ATLAS?
I always thought so, but apparently it's a different dev/publisher and they share a support studio.

Edit: I was wrong, sort of. Grapeshot games is a spin-off team from Wildcard.
www.gamespot.com

Atlas: Wildly Ambitious Pirate Game About Everything From Building Ships To Governing Territory

The number of systems in the huge new game from the creators of Ark: Survival Evolved is almost ridiculous.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The first could be played single player.
I'd like to know more about this. Is there a narrative? I thought it was just realistic minecraft with dinosaurs. I never got into the fort/camp building with limited resources type games but if the singleplayer is actually fun, I may be in.

I legit thought this was going to be a Vinny D Turok reboot when I saw the trailer. Edit: lol, I'm not alone.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
So, the little I can find on this is that it's just "more ARK"? Cool. Last thing I needed was another game to lose dozens of hours to lol

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
I always thought so, but apparently it's a different dev/publisher and they share a support studio.

Edit: I was wrong, sort of. Grapeshot games is a spin-off team from Wildcard.
www.gamespot.com

Atlas: Wildly Ambitious Pirate Game About Everything From Building Ships To Governing Territory

The number of systems in the huge new game from the creators of Ark: Survival Evolved is almost ridiculous.

Well, the handling of that game makes me cautious of ARK 2, don't know the state of ARK 1 currently but my perception of it ain't positive.

Oct 29, 2017
I'd like to know more about this. Is there a narrative? I thought it was just realistic minecraft with dinosaurs. I never got into the fort/camp building with limited resources type games but if the singleplayer is actually fun, I may be in.

I legit thought this was going to be a Vinny D Turok reboot when I saw the trailer. Edit: lol, I'm not alone.
Basically the goal is to collect resources, build up a base, tame (and optionally breed for better stats) creatures, fight the bosses and "ascend". The lore is found by reading explorer's notes scattered across the maps. The lore is actually pretty deep.

For the full story, you play through (maps) the island, scorched earth, abberation (amazing map!) and extinction. Genesis maybe part of those too, but I haven't played that yet.

You can play through the optional maps too (the center, ragnarok, valguero, crystal isles, etc.) but they're not canon; just officially supported expansion maps. They're best for setting up dedicated servers with a group of friends.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
How soon before Microsoft goobles this studio up? The MP alone could go on for years. Its a perfect game for them.
I know usually corporate takeover is bad but holy cow, if Microsoft actually snapped up Wildcard and put some good devs in there it'd be insane.
ARK has so so very much potential that is squandered by either poor management or unwillingness to change and adapt. Everything they do with ARK seems to be 1 step forward and two steps back.

Just give the players some more customization for how they want to play and you'd be golden as a very easy start.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I suspect Ark II is an early access title in 2022 like Ark I was. It's not that unpopular to say that Sony's early access support/infrastructure is… lacking to put it kindly, which is partially why games like PUBG, DayZ and Ark came to PS4 later and other titles like Ooblets, TABS, Atlas and Session have yet to hit.

Now, is there an element of moneyhatting here? Probably, in addition to dev support like PUBG got, but Sony also needs to step up their early access game. They're getting better allowing Spellbreak and TemTem on the system.

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
Basically the goal is to collect resources, build up a base, tame (and optionally breed for better stats) creatures, fight the bosses and "ascend". The lore is found by reading explorer's notes scattered across the maps. The lore is actually pretty deep.

For the full story, you play through (maps) the island, scorched earth, abberation (amazing map!) and extinction. Genesis maybe part of those too, but I haven't played that yet.

You can play through the optional maps too (the center, ragnarok, valguero, crystal isles, etc.) but they're not canon; just officially supported expansion maps. They're best for setting up dedicated servers with a group of friends.

This. I'm REALLY not sure about ARK 2 and am somewhat cautious about the animated series since they seem to changing a lot of things from the games lore which is something I'm never a fan of(felt the same way about the Soulsborne comics).