• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PonyStation

Banned
May 24, 2019
User Banned (3 days): spreading misinformation
That's exactly what happened the first time in many states, these kind of headlines, then people relaxing, fewer restrictions, and cases going up again.

The difference is that Arizona is ridiculously hot right now, we know that the virus doesn't do well with the kinds of temperatures there.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The difference is that Arizona is ridiculously hot right now, we know that the virus doesn't do well with the kinds of temperatures there.
This is not true, or at least it's a completely useless factoid (the virus dislikes being on surfaces that are hot... but Arizona is built around indoor venues and gathering places specifically because it's so hot).

Oct 25, 2017
This is not true, or at least it's a completely useless factoid (the virus dislikes being on surfaces that are hot... but Arizona is built around indoor venues and gathering places specifically because it's so hot).

Yeah and with indoor bars/food/entertainment closed up again it's like a defacto lockdown because of the heat.

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
I believe it somewhat. Things have gotten better here and testing has been better and faster. I recently got tested and had results within 24 hours, from the worst offending labs even (tested at banner, lab Sonora quest)

my daughter was tested at the same time and it took a couple days but not the 7-10 days we were expecting

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So most users are now conspiracy theorists? Good to know.
If the data were fake then why would they have had numbers that were so terrible (worst in the nation in many metrics) for several weeks?
The data isn't showing that cases are extremely low but that the curve is trending downward. Why this needs to be turned into a conspiracy is beyond me and makes me question the scientific acumen of many users on this site, tbh. So many posters ITT literally have no idea what the article is saying or what the data is showing.
Era, do better.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tucson, Arizona here.
I lean towards skepticism just because the response here has been so terrible and so many people that I know have refused to take it seriously. But I know a lot of people here have been sort of locked into following guidelines, (for example, I see a lot more people wearing masks to the grocery store because they can't go in without one) so I am willing to believe things are getting better.
I've been being a good boy and staying in for the most part, so I don't really have evidence one way or the other.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
So most users are now conspiracy theorists? Good to know.
If the data were fake then why would they have had numbers that were so terrible (worst in the nation in many metrics) for several weeks?
The data isn't showing that cases are extremely low but that the curve is trending downward. Why this needs to be turned into a conspiracy is beyond me and makes me question the scientific acumen of many users on this site, tbh. So many posters ITT literally have no idea what the article is saying or what the data is showing.
Era, do better.
There have been documented cases of red states massaging numbers and under reporting. Also a lot of times testing gets held up or there is not enough tests available. It's not a conspiracy theory.
Accuse people or conspiracy theories for not trusting states when posts like this are being made. LMAO.

OP
OP
bye

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Tucson, Arizona here.
I lean towards skepticism just because the response here has been so terrible and so many people that I know have refused to take it seriously. But I know a lot of people here have been sort of locked into following guidelines, (for example, I see a lot more people wearing masks to the grocery store because they can't go in without one) so I am willing to believe things are getting better.
I've been being a good boy and staying in for the most part, so I don't really have evidence one way or the other.

The thing about the heat is, yes the virus can't live in it, but it keeps people inside because we can't socialize and gather outdoors in the summer. If they cut off the indoor transmission by closing bars and gyms, limiting restaurants, requiring masks everywhere else (and people are wearing them), then the virus has nowhere to go.

We can joke about "the heat kills the virus" but it never was spreading outside in the first place, we had a huge problem with tourists and our nightlife/bar scene as soon as we opened.

Oct 27, 2017
Yall have no problem with official numbers when they show cases going up, but it's an issue now that it shows them going down lol.

Talk about having an agenda, just be happy that things seem to be better in Arizona (at least for the time being).

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
The thing about the heat is, yes the virus can't live in it, but it keeps people inside because we can't socialize and gather outdoors in the summer. If they cut off the indoor transmission by closing bars and gyms, limiting restaurants, requiring masks everywhere else (and people are wearing them), then the virus has nowhere to go.

We can joke about "the heat kills the virus" but it never was spreading outside in the first place, we had a huge problem with tourists and our nightlife/bar scene as soon as we opened.

In Europe we've been seeing people gathering in massive groups outside as soon as it was getting warmer so I don't think it is really as clear-cut as that. It is currently hot in Europe and cases are rising at an alarming rate.

I know that hot in Arizona is a whole different type of heat though. I don't think you are neccesarily incorrect, but I'm just not sure.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere

Sounds

Oct 27, 2017
Believe them or no, I'm shocked that people are actually giving others shit for NOT believing the numbers. We've been lied to since day 1 by the majority of GOP politicians here... they care about one thing: the economy; life be damned. They want the kids in schools, and that's it. You can't justify kids in school when you're hitting 4K a day. Nothing wrong with being skeptical about these Trump chuds who have constantly lied about everything and most certainly do NOT care about your best interests.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Also, didn't the government recently switch from reporting data to the CDC to some bullshit firm that has ties to the administration?

thehill.com

CDC director says he wasn’t involved in decision to reroute COVID-19 hospitalization data

The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) told Congress on Friday that he was not directly involved in the Trump administration’s decision ordering hospitals to stop send…
That was hospital data only.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There have been documented cases of red states massaging numbers and under reporting. Also a lot of times testing gets held up or there is not enough tests available. It's not a conspiracy theory.

Accuse people or conspiracy theories for not trusting states when posts like this are being made. LMAO.
Critical thinking goes a long way here. Arizona's numbers were horrible for many weeks and are still bad, just not quite as bad. If they were cooking the books they wouldn't have reported worst in the nation numbers for weeks.
Of course I disagree with the hot post as well, but it's an outlier in this thread. Tons of posts in this thread are about not trusting data when it was trusted a week ago (when the data was much worse). That is inconsistent as hell. You'll note I'm not praising the government or thanking Ducey, etc..

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Critical thinking goes a long way here. Arizona's numbers were horrible for many weeks and are still bad, just not quite as bad. If they were cooking the books they wouldn't have reported worst in the nation numbers for weeks.
Of course I disagree with the hot post as well, but it's an outlier in this thread. Tons of posts in this thread are about not trusting data when it was trusted a week ago (when the data was much worse). That is inconsistent as hell. You'll note I'm not praising the government or thanking Ducey, etc..
Just to add to your post a little more, most manipulation has been regarding how data is reported or interpreted, not actual altering of the overall dataset. And we know about all of this because when a change does occur in how data is reported, you have various news outlets that report on this. If there was a scandal in Arizona where cases, hospitalizations, and deaths were all suddenly being lied about after showing some of the worst numbers per capita in the world, reporters would find out quickly and you'd be reading about it on the front page of the NYT. And for what? People would be risking their jobs to show only 2000 cases per day instead of 3000? A grand statewide conspiracy to show only moderately bad numbers?

We need to stop with conspiracy theories. There needs to be more crackdown on these. This website is more frequently abandoning common sense and often becoming an echo chamber of bad science.

Dec 23, 2017
Tucson, Arizona here.
Tucson ✊🏾

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
I'm really discouraged at how conspiracy comments have become commonplace and accepted on this forum, especially regarding coronavirus news.

Arizona was one of the worst in terms of cases per population. Now, after action was taken, hospitalizations and deaths have dropped, and the situation has improved from "catastrophic" to "terrible". No conspiracies needed. Just science.
Yep, I've learned that even left leaning people will love conspiracies if they can get it to fit their narrative. And the moderation does little to stop the peddling of some dangerous conspiracies here.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
This is good news. Hopefully they took the right approach and it will work out for them.

How is Florida doing by the way? I'm also noticing a lot of people on my social media in New York are going out on vacation and parties.... that doesn't seem like a great idea at all. I wonder if cases are going to spike again once things start opening up for states that finally just lowering their cases.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Issue is Ducey wants the cook the books to please his master and, cases can plateau but still, question everything.

OP
OP
bye

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
In Europe we've been seeing people gathering in massive groups outside as soon as it was getting warmer so I don't think it is really as clear-cut as that. It is currently hot in Europe and cases are rising at an alarming rate.

I know that hot in Arizona is a whole different type of heat though. I don't think you are neccesarily incorrect, but I'm just not sure.

it's going to be 44C for a high today, it doesn't get that hot like anywhere in Europe on a regular basis for 4 straight months.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Trust me, people really don't gather outside here in summer unless it involves a swimming pool. Its uncomfortably hot literally all day. The weather forecast has it staying above 30°C almost all week, with highs in the 43 - 46 degree range.

However, people will still gather at friends houses because they can't go anywhere. I see it every weekend in my neighborhood, at least one of the houses has a bunch of cars out front from people gathering, usually for a pool/bbq day, or just to socialize inside. Once October hits, then people will start gathering outside in large numbers.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Yall have no problem with official numbers when they show cases going up, but it's an issue now that it shows them going down lol.

Talk about having an agenda, just be happy that things seem to be better in Arizona (at least for the time being).
There was and is plenty of skepticism around the numbers in general. It's been an over-arching theme that infection rates are being under-reported.

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
While heat can reduce the viability of the virus this has only been proven more on the resting state on objects and is used as a terrible lie to make people think they won't get sick. People pack into air conditioned rooms and buildings making for perfect spreading opportunity. Think of Arizona summers like north east winters.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
Just to add to your post a little more, most manipulation has been regarding how data is reported or interpreted, not actual altering of the overall dataset. And we know about all of this because when a change does occur in how data is reported, you have various news outlets that report on this. If there was a scandal in Arizona where cases, hospitalizations, and deaths were all suddenly being lied about after showing some of the worst numbers per capita in the world, reporters would find out quickly and you'd be reading about it on the front page of the NYT. And for what? People would be risking their jobs to show only 2000 cases per day instead of 3000? A grand statewide conspiracy to show only moderately bad numbers?

We need to stop with conspiracy theories. There needs to be more crackdown on these. This website is more frequently abandoning common sense and often becoming an echo chamber of bad science.

How about you take a look at the data before spouting off bullshit?

https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/...se-epidemiology/covid-19/dashboards/index.php

see how the testing peaked in June and has been declining ever since? Is that conspiracies too?

Oct 25, 2017
The journalists in the article have been closely following the numbers in AZ for months. Real cool that a bunch of conspiracy theorists on ResetERA can come in and use the improving numbers in my state as a political football.
I know that personal stories don't trump trends or facts
End the post here. This is stupid

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty pretty sure they weren't even reporting numbers for their most infected counties

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
On another note it's better to look at hospitalizations than the testing numbers since there are a lot of factors at play with testing. We just got out of a HUGE backlog (lawsuits coming) and some folks don't see the point in testing if you don't get your result right away (which is now 48 hours again thankfully). Hospitalizations come directly from the hospital. There is a decline, but it's sooo low and slow.

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
From my anecodatal experience, AZ has more testing capacity than needed at the moment too. My wife was also able to get a rapid test at an urgent care within an afternoon. The massive push for more testing sites was good but a little late unfortunately

I went to the state fairgrounds to get tested, which at one time, was a 10+ hour wait. It took me about a half hour last week. No doubt things are getting better, and while better is a relative term, I don't understand the intentions of some of the posters in this thread.

Deleted member 9972

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about you take a look at the data before spouting off bullshit?

https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/...se-epidemiology/covid-19/dashboards/index.php

see how the testing peaked in June and has been declining ever since? Is that conspiracies too?
I look at the data of every state on a daily basis because I'm weirdly obsessed with numbers. You are correct that tests have been decreasing. But the positive test rate has been too, particularly in recent weeks. If the number of true cases were increasing, or even staying the same, positive test rate would increase as tests decreased.

There is no conspiracy. In Arizona, cases are down. Positive test rate is down. Hospitalizations are down. Deaths are down. This is a good thing. Let's hope people don't get lax and we have to start over again.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Things are better here but still bad. The mask mandate in Phoenix has definitely helped, and the few times I do go out, I see most folks wearing masks with no issues.

Everytime I go to pickup takeout is pretty discouraging though. Lots of people still wanting to eat in a restaurant, inside. The Brunch place I was at this morning could be called 'bustling'.
And with school staring on the 17th, pretty sure the numbers will be back up soon.

stuckpixel

Dec 27, 2017
Things are better here but still bad. The mask mandate in Phoenix has definitely helped, and the few times I do go out, I see most folks wearing masks with no issues.

Everytime I go to pickup takeout is pretty discouraging though. Lots of people still wanting to eat in a restaurant, inside. The Brunch place I was at this morning could be called 'bustling'.
And with school staring on the 17th, pretty sure the numbers will be back up soon.

17th? School started for my kids (fully remote) this past Thursday.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
I look at the data of every state on a daily basis because I'm weirdly obsessed with numbers. You are correct that tests have been decreasing. But the positive test rate has been too, particularly in recent weeks. If the number of true cases were increasing, or even staying the same, positive test rate would increase as tests decreased.

There is no conspiracy. In Arizona, cases are down. Positive test rate is down. Hospitalizations are down. Deaths are down. This is a good thing. Let's hope people don't get lax and we have to start over again.

I don't question that things Are getting better. But across multiple states. Numbers dropped all of a sudden in mid July.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have kids, so maybe I'm wrong. But I think in school instruction starts on the 17th. Maybe it depends on the district too.
It's complicated. The governor basically said that schools can start in-classroom instruction that early. Most school districts started before that with remote learning with a plan to remain remote until they feel it's safe to return to in-classroom instruction. My daughter has been in school since Wednesday and will remain remote for at least several more weeks with future plans determined based on disease trends, etc...

Deleted member 9972

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't question that things Are getting better. But across multiple states. Numbers dropped all of a sudden in mid July.
Numbers plateaued in July and really starting dropping in this last week. That's true of positive test rates too (and hospitalizations, but the White House actually did do some mumbo jumbo to make those numbers harder to interpret). While one could argue there's some sort of grand, 50 state conspiracy to rig the numbers that has somehow alluded the Washington Post's many inside sources, it's more likely that as awareness of the July spike got the public's attention and more social distancing policies (such as mask mandates) were enforced, it led to a natural decline in the cases.

Is it because everyone in Arizona has it?

There's probably some truth to this too. Arizona was hit so hard that I wouldn't be surprised if there are individual communities that have developed a small amount of herd immunity.