• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Thread title comes from full article linked below.

This news is making the rounds in the hockey world and is quite frankly gross that the team drafted him, nevermind the absolute PR move put on by both this kid and his parents by sending apology letters to the whole league but not apologizing to the actual victim.

Four years ago, Miller admitted in an Ohio juvenile court to bullying Meyer-Crothers, who was tricked into licking a candy push pop that Miller and another boy had wiped in a bathroom urinal.Meyer-Crothers had to be tested for hepatitis, HIV and STDs, but the tests came back negative, according to a police report.

Meyer-Crothers, also 18 and who now lives in Detroit, said Miller had taunted him for years, constantly calling him "brownie" and the "N-word," while repeatedly hitting him while growing up in the Toledo suburb. Other students at their junior high confirmed to police that Miller repeatedly used the "N-word" in referring to Meyer-Crothers.

"It was absolutely brutal," she said. "Had he not pled guilty, the video would have been released. It would have been so much worse on Mitchell because of the brutality to our son … He's smashing Isaiah's head against a brick wall."

Fun fact: the GM that drafted this kid is on the NHL's Executive Inclusion Group.

Full article here

Absolutely disgusting.

EDIT: To add even more to this stupidity, the kid doing the bullying has a history of repeatedly tormenting this kid:

"The biggest problem I have is [Mitchell] has been bullying Isaiah since he was in second grade, so I thought he'd have a more severe punishment," said Joni Meyer-Crothers, Isaiah's mother. "I truly believe Hunter is remorseful. I don't think Mitchell is remorseful at all, in my opinion. Him rollerblading by our house is a taunt. It's like him saying, 'I may not be at school, but I'm still here.'

Last edited:

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Once again we assemble to note how shitty the NHL is.

Gotta love how Black players like Duclair, Subban, Aliu etc are all pilled on/traded/stuck in the minors for "character issues", but then the white player gets a chance at redemption. Fuck outta here with that shit.

This league is too satisfied with pretending to do things and apologizing when caught red-handed than actually taking lessons from their mistakes.

OP
OP
Minthara

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

Gotta love how Black players like Duclair, Subban, Aliu etc are all pilled on/traded/stuck in the minors for "character issues", but then the white player gets a chance at redemption. Fuck outta here with that shit.

This league is too satisfied with pretending to do things and apologizing when caught red-handed than actually taking lessons from their mistakes.

I think the worst part of this whole thing is that there were hundreds of other players available at the draft, they had to draft THIS one with their first pick of the entire draft. It was the perfect time to send a message and have no team draft this asshole but nope, one team has to not give a shit about rewarding racism.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
God, reading that just brought back some painful memories for me when I was bullied and harassed by white kids. I'm not much of an NHL fan to begin with, but I've really gotten tired of the hockey world's treatment of black players. If he stays, I have no remorse hoping that someone takes him out during a game.

Oct 27, 2017
Money rules all of this. The best thing people can do is continue to shame the team, but also to boycott them.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Four years ago, Miller admitted in an Ohio juvenile court to bullying Meyer-Crothers, who was tricked into licking a candy push pop that Miller and another boy had wiped in a bathroom urinal.Meyer-Crothers had to be tested for hepatitis, HIV and STDs, but the tests came back negative, according to a police report.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Oct 25, 2017
Just absolutely terrible.

He's not really a top pick, only because the Coyotes had to be stripped of their 2nd round pick for violating combine rules. He was picked in the 4th round the likelihood is incredibly low he'll even play in the NHL, so the decision to not cut him loose is something.

OP
OP
Minthara

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Just absolutely terrible.

He's not really a top pick, only because the Coyotes had to be stripped of their 2nd round pick for violating combine rules. He was picked in the 4th round the likelihood is incredibly low he'll even play in the NHL, so the decision to not cut him loose is something.

I feel like that can be built on with two thoughts:

1) Since the Coyotes picked him, even if they never sign him another team might try and pick him up under the radar, meaning the Coyotes take all the PR hit for this and other teams can hope this whole thing blows over by the time his rights expire.

2) Any form of entry-level contract this kid signs, if it is at the NHL level, will be worth about a million dollars. The message sent here is clear: This kid's dreams of playing in the NHL take precedence over a kid he tormented for years.

Which is why I feel extra gross about this.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Racism, in the NHL? Never. /s

But seriously fuck this guy, the NHL is notoriously racist, did some racism watchdog dissolve when trying to tackle the NHL because they refused to implement any meaningful change?

Other NHL teams would have drafted him too.
OP
OP
Minthara

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
From the Editor at EliteProspects:

Some of the teams I spoke with going into the draft had some pretty not great things to say about Miller and the way he represented himself. Concerns that neither Miller nor his representation were willing to be forthright or engage in this topic were routine.
I made numerous efforts to talk with Miller's camp myself, and let's just say that I got absolutely nowhere — I'll leave it at that. The teams who did speak with Miller were... not impressed. Many got the sense he felt no remorse for the incident in question. Not good!

Proof that this problem was with multiple teams, Arizona is just the one that drafted him:

While we are — rightly — raking Arizona over the coals for the Mitchell Miller pick this morning, in the interest of posterity, & without making a value judgement here, just presenting information — no way Miller would've made it out of the fifth-round. That was my sense.
https://twitter.com/JDylanBurke?ref.../iframe/2/twitter.min.html1320776000058224641
I spoke to a handful of teams who had no interest in drafting him. Spoke to a few others who were wary but held him in that esteem. Rightly or wrongly, that's where it seemed like he was headed in the 2020 draft.

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona was in a really tight spot this year. The team had several of their draft picks taken away because their prior GM committed illegal recruiting violations. On top of that they already traded picks as a part of the Taylor Hall trade which didn't work out as Hall didn't Re-sign with them.

In a normal year they typically would pass on this guy.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At least according to elite prospects he was supposed to be ranked in the 2nd round. Looks like a number of teams passed on him for at least 2 rounds.

IMO Arizona was desperate and that was the best guy (skill wise) on the board at the time and they were hoping no one would notice.

Wonder whats going on with the organisation. First the combine thing, then Chayka quits on the team and now this.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
One important thing to note, Arizona hired Bill Armstrong (Blues) to become the new GM of the team. The stipulation however, he could not participate in the 2020 draft in any fashion. He had been in charge of scouting for the Blues, thus pretty integral to the draft process.

Now that the draft is in the past, he's charged with cleaning up the organization. This will make for a good popcorn moment.

This doesn't excuse the pick, but the organization was essentially declared a disaster and this draft fell between dumpster fire and clean-up effort by definition. I also feel like the headline was click-bait a bit. A casual look would have one believe this was either one of, or the top pick in the draft. In reality it was pretty late (111th).

Jan 31, 2018
Yeah, late pick and all but that regardless, this was not a person that deserved the apparent honour of being drafted. The lack of ethics in professional sports is embarrassing especially since they lick to play up the warrior angle.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking piece of trash. The serial nature of it should definitely mean the end of his NHL prospects.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Awful. This kid makes it to the nhl and he will probably become a millionaire eventually. Meanwhile his victim will live with his wounds.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

Yep, pretty much.

Oct 27, 2017
Lemme just head on over to HFBoards and see the fine people there condemn this repul...

oh, "boys will be boys". "He was only 14!11!" ...

Fuck the Nazis at that site. Fuck hockey culture. Fuck a sport that is bigoted as fuck and filled with shit human beings and even shittier white trash fans.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Trashy as fuck. Dude shouldn't even be on the ice, regardless of league. Should be locked up.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
His team will help him make a statement about how he regrets the actions he made when he was too young to know better and that it's not representative of who he is, and then he'll face no repercussions. They may even make a token donation to an anti bullying organization. The only thing they won't do is cut him from the team.

OP
OP
Minthara

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
His team will help him make a statement about how he regrets the actions he made when he was too young to know better and that it's not representative of who he is, and then he'll face no repercussions. They may even make a token donation to an anti bullying organization. The only thing they won't do is cut him from the team.

Yep, that's pretty much how it'll go. Best we can hope for is that reporters keeping taking the team to task for this and he eventually apologizes in person to the victim.

Not that doing all that will fix anything.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
When you wrote top pick, my thought was like if this guys t top 10 in the draft, too much money to be held back because of the industry and idolatry that comes with sports stardom in general.

But 111th? 4th round? Even as a 2nd round talent, this can't be worth the shit storm. I hope he gets everything bad coming to him. Coyotes too.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
they're walking away from him

I'm glad they are making example of him. No madder how good you are there are always consequences to your shit behavior.

sounds like he missed out on a few millions (if he was trully good enough to be slotted in the second round).

it really goes to show how big of a turd he was for not even apologizing. Bet you he'll be apologizing now. Fuck him.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Won't another team just pick him up after this blows over?

i'd say if it does happen it would be after his "development" like age 22-24 to say "look he's a new man!1!!" no team is going to burn another pick on him and if anything he may get camp invites at most.

right now there's huge blowback in hockey with racism and abusiveness in general... stuff is coming out of everywhere... the CHL, AHL, NHL... and with what has been happening this summer teams are trying to avoid the spotlight and them drafting him after the NHL was trying to make serious strides to improve their image in terms of racism which has been difficult largely because there's so few minority players because the cost of entry of the sport is so high.

but the thing is

they knew about his history... all teams did. he was on most teams DND (do not draft) lists. a lot of fans knew too. there is no excuse. they knew it would look bad and drafted him anyways.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
The next step would be my alma mater, UND, dropping him as well.

To be honest, as a 4th rounder or whatever it's unlikely he'd ever get to the NHL level anyway so i doubt any other NHL team picks him up.

Even AHL, ECHL, Euro leagues are probably going to steer away from him because of the bad PR. Dude's playing career is essentially done, id guess.

OP
OP
Minthara

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
The thing that annoys me the most about this story is that all this kid had to do, as step 1, is apologize to the victim. He's apologized to the media, apologized to the NHL teams thinking of picking him, everything else - but still refuses to apologize to the victim. That says the most.

The next step would be my alma mater, UND, dropping him as well.

To be honest, as a 4th rounder or whatever it's unlikely he'd ever get to the NHL level anyway so i doubt any other NHL team picks him up.

Even AHL, ECHL, Euro leagues are probably going to steer away from him because of the bad PR. Dude's playing career is essentially done, id guess.

The kid is talented, was projected to go in the second round if it wasn't for this.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Won't another team just pick him up after this blows over?

No? This guy was on many teams' do not draft lists, Coyotes included before they fired GM John Chayka. Management afterward just ignored Chayka's notes and drafted him because he was a 2nd round talent available in the 4th round. Also the Yotes are missing draft picks for this year and next year because they traded said picks away and forfeited the rest because they were tampering with draft players before the designated tryout period. Hence their shitty desperation.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's good news the kid will never play in the NHL. I legit do not give a fuck whether he gave a proper apology or not either. No one should be rewarded for that type of behaviour.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
It's good news the kid will never play in the NHL. I legit do not give a fuck whether he gave a proper apology or not either. No one should be rewarded for that type of behaviour.

He never gave a proper apology. He had an accomplice, but that other kid properly apologized to the victim and his family, showing great remorse. That boy was forgiven, but this trash kid? Nope. Shame on his jerk face parents too, since they allowed him to continue playing a sport he loves and has fun playing.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
He never gave a proper apology. He had an accomplice, but that other kid properly apologized to the victim and his family, showing great remorse. That boy was forgiven, but this trash kid? Nope. Shame on his jerk face parents too, since they allowed him to continue playing a sport he loves and has fun playing.

I know he didn't apologize. I'm saying even if he did I wouldn't give a fuck though. The behaviour described shouldn't be rewarded even if the little shit had decided to fake some empathy.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's still shit that the Coyotes defended their decision first, and knew about his actions all along. They had no qualms with rewarding a tormentor and a monster.

Better late than never at least. Sucks that we won't be able to see this kid get slammed into the boards at every opportunity though.

Also what's the under/over on him honestly believing himself to be the victim, and potentially attempt to harass the family even more?

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
My Coyotes are a dumpster fire right now. I am disappointed they drafted him but glad they let go of him.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
My Coyotes are a dumpster fire right now. I am disappointed they drafted him but glad they let go of him.

You and me both.

Curious to see who gets fired over this, considering Jankowski and Sullivan ran the draft. Meruelo can't be too pleased this is the first thing his new regime does after Chayka's exit.