• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes... Me and my friend are "arguing" over the grammar used in a meme. Or in my opinion, the lack of proper grammar. Does this need additional markup (A comma?). To read properly? Or is it proper as is?

I think it should be Whoever discovered milk, was doing some wierd shit to the cow.

Am I wrong?

God this thread is lame

FB_IMG_1579386409919.jpg

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Whoever discovered milk was just observing what a calf was doing when it gets hungry. /nofunrobot

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
that discovered milk whomsoever doing to the cow weird shit was

edit: corrected grammaticcal errores

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
This does not need a comma. I'm not sure it's right to say you can't link two dependent clauses with a comma and have it work, but here you definitely cannot.

"Whoever discovered milk,"

"Was doing some weird shit to the cow."

It makes no sense to put a comma there. It also doesn't make sense to pause there when speaking IMO.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're wrong and I hate people who would put a comma in that spot. I see it often and it drives me nuts.

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't read right. So how should it be written?

The meaning, without seperation could be two different things.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
"Whoever discovered milk" is all just the actor of the sentence. It's one big segment, but it's one segment. "discovered milk" is just narrowing down who the "whoever" is.

You can replace "whoever discovered milk" with a name and the sentence would still work the same.

Slayven was doing some weird shit to the cow.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
No comma needed. It's the same as saying, "The person who discovered milk was doing some wierd shit to the cow."

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't need a comma. It feels like a comma because of a natural pause that comes there, but that's not what defines where a comma should appear.

And more importantly...should be "whomst'd've discovered milk"

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Let's break it down.

Whoever - subject
discovered milk - adjective phrase to modify subject
was - verb
doing some weird shit to - participle to modify verb
the cow - direct object

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
You're wrong, OP.
I can understand why you would think it works your way since you confuse yourself by making it a run-on sentence in your mind ( Whoever discovers..! Milk was doing something weird with cows!), but maybe you're dyslexic and mix up sentence cadence easily.

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You're wrong, OP.
I can understand why you would think it works your way since you confuse yourself by making it a run-on sentence in your mind ( Whoever discovers..! Milk was doing something weird with cows!), but maybe you're dyslexic and mix up sentence cadence easily.
Maybe I'm just a bit drunk lol. If I am dyslexic, nobody noticed it for 28 years. It's possible though I guess.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm just a bit drunk lol. If I am dyslexic, nobody noticed it for 28 years. It's possible though I guess.
lol it depends how often you put commas everywhere or think sentences make no sense haha.

I know I'm slightly number dyslexic and the way I make typos or make errors when I try to rearrange letters in my head probably means I have some form of dyslexia, but I usually read things well enough. And yet no one has ever really caught on that I was dyslexic.

I think sometimes intelligence can mask some dyslexia issues.

Or yes you're very drunk!

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
Whoever made this topic was overthinking things.
Or
Whoever made this topic, was overthinking things.

The latter just doesn't sound right

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
What you are referring to is called a comma splice.

In this case, it's the result of over punctuation. Looking at a few of your other posts in this thread shows that you might have a habit of this. Consider correcting this or don't, the English language don't care none.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What you are referring to is called a comma splice.

In this case, it's the result of over punctuation. Looking at a few of your other posts in this thread shows that you might have a habit of this. Consider correcting this or don't, the English language don't care none.
No, dude. The bolded part of your post is a comma splice, which is using a comma instead of a semicolon or coordinate conjunction to join two independent clauses.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The lack of a comma in the image's sentence is correct. People nowadays have a weird tendency to overuse commas. I swear in the '00s people underused them but maybe I'm mistaken.