• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a cheap trick, but if there's nothing in the rules that prohibits using text chat to fake the word of "god", then it isn't cheating, plain and simple.
1578.jpg

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Fair play. You don't punish a player for getting an opponent to bite on a pump fake in hoops. Deception is a key element of competition.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
a lot of pro players, especially in the rts scene, are very quick to gg go next

there's a very famous example in starcraft 2 where someone just had a bunch of units as illusions and the other guy saw it and just quit

i think it's mostly just not wanting to waste their mental energy

I will always remember when MMA killed his own expansion and then Idra quit after successfully defending a push.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
a lot of pro players, especially in the rts scene, are very quick to gg go next

there's a very famous example in starcraft 2 where someone just had a bunch of units as illusions and the other guy saw it and just quit

i think it's mostly just not wanting to waste their mental energy

IdrA is maybe a bad example because dude is a ragequit machine lol

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Esports ... lol

reminds me of that time Lebron put up 15 in the first quarter and the other team quit.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is the one time in history that I want to see the Twitch chat.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

evilabedsssjyj4r.gif

Can someone explain what is happening? I've played Agr of Empires and Age if Mythology before But only team death match so don't really understand what is happening in the video.

World events, such as when an opponent advances to the next Age, are broadcast globally via neutral text. Biry's opponent misinterpreted Biry's own comment that he (Biry) advanced to the Castle Age -- the penultimate Age -- as the word of "God" and forfeited the match, having deduced there was no hope of catching up.

Edit: Basically, imagine winning a game of, say, Quake because your opponent rage-quit after you typed "[your username] fragged [their username]" into chat.

Last edited:

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I love trick plays like this.

Reminds me of the time a Rainbow 6 Siege team got their opponents to attack the wrong site in a pro league match. Just complete misdirection.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Ha ha

I mean, it you're playing AOE at tournament levels, one would think you'd be seasoned enough to not fall for any tricks like that. I think it's fine

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Works in Dota 2, just differently. You bait by disconnecting, and team mate makes it look like the game is safe to leave via chat/console.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Lol the capitalization wasn't even correct (nevermind the lack of a colon which he wouldn't be able to change) and the guy still fell for it.

Fair game in my book, would have been awkward as hell if it didn't work though

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is utterly hilarious. Completely fair too. If chat is ok using it is acceptable, head games have always been a part of sports.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Reminds me of a trick used in DotA 2 to make people quit a match by making the console spell that someone else already left.

While not the most honorable stuff to do, way more honorable than giving up just because the other player got a lead.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
In theory if Biry reached the Castle Age at that time, he would have a considerable lead over the mexican player who was probably beggining with Feudal Age

Age of Empires is a game that simulates the rise of an empire through various centuries. As in real life, when a civilization advances through the ages, they will develop better technologies that could give them a considerable edge in battle. In this case, advancing towards the castle age let's you build castles, exclusive unites, siege weapons and other things that would be stronger than what you could have in feudal age
Also advancing ages is expensive, so it means the player that is advancing quickly probably has a better economy going.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Legit big brain.
This reminds me when playing Dota, My team would all chat GG then opposite team will just dive on us and feed us kills lmao.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Wouldn't an esports competitor know the games HUD inside and out?

I dunno. Well done anyways. It's not cheating.

If you watch the video, the difference is literally a colon, on a text window with a relatively small font:

XYZ has advanced to the Castle Age.
XYZ: has advanced to the Castle Age.

Most surprisingly, it's even the same text color. I would assume most games use different colors for player chat and system messages!

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember in my Starcraft days people would make other panic with typing in "Nuclear Launch Detected" at the center of the screen.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Should have typed in "advanced to modern age". The guy would have really been running for the hills.