• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is your DualSense drifting?

• Yes

Votes: 209 14.5%
  • No

Votes: 805 55.9%
  • DualShock 4 drifts

Votes: 93 6.5%
  • DualSense and DualShock 4 are both fine

Votes: 322 22.4%
  • DualSense drifts but DualSense is fine

Votes: 10 0.7%

• Total voters

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
There's a different issue I had with the controller though. When playing Borderlands 3, which features very strong haptic feedback (I had to turn it down in the PS5 settings because my hands started tingling, never had this happen before), after playing for an hour or so the haptic feedback starts making audible noise as if the rumble inside the controller is broken. It's also way less effective. But if I completely close the game and boot it back up everything is back to normal.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
OP, literally just exchanged mine today at Best buy. Yes, they drift.
It was rare, but it happened with the DualShock4 as well.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
All three of mine have been fine, sorry OP, sounds like you're gonna have to send it in. Hopefully the whole process is painless and you get a replacement quickly.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
The sticks look the same as the ones used on the DS4 and Xbox controllers from the teardown video I watched. So an equal chance of drift as those, I guess.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My X button is double-pressing sometimes when I press it once.

Kinda like a Logitech gaming mouse (don't buy new mice from Logitech, they used to be nice, now they're garbage, try and buy old ones manufactured back when Logitech didn't use the cheapest possible switches, if you must)

Oh and the D-Pad is terrible but I think that's just a Dualsense thing. Switch Pro D-Pad was better than this thing

No drift tho

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you've only used it moderately, it kinda sounds like you got a defective unit. If there's an stick calibration option you can try that to see if it fixes the issue, otherwise you'll probably have to send it in for warranty.

Even if he used it extensively, at this point it is still a defective unit. Unless he has been dropping it a lot.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
What do you people do with your controllers, it hasnt even been a month

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
Nope. I've noticed some weird camera movement in AC Valhalla, but I am confident that it's the game. It only seems to happen when I'm using the bow in weird vantage points/angles.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
this is my exact case. It was so annoying.
however this only happened to me in Demons Souls. I 100% Miles Morales and it never happened. I noticed it DS it wouldn't happen if I had a full charge but after an hour it'd start up again.

It has happened to me in Demons Souls and Days Gone

Babadook

self-requsted ban
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Both of them (I have 2 dual senses so all 4 of them?) have been perfect so far.

Cosmic

Jan 7, 2018
Yes but I'm not sure if it's the controller or a bug in Demon Souls. After a few mins of play or sometimes straight away my character will constantly get pulled to the left and the right analogue that controls the camera pulls up on its own also. Complete nightmare when trying to play something like Demon Souls like that.

Noog

ā–² Legend ā–²
May 1, 2018
No luckily. Definitely contact Sony and get a replacement

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Nope, only issue with the controller I've had is that it didn't charge when playing Miles Morales for some reason? I assume that was just a bug I ran into because it charged no problem when playing any other game.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Not yet but I fully expect it to happen. Every single one of my Dualshocks have contracted the drift.

Oct 30, 2017
My DualSense's right stick is now drifting upward, rendering any kind of play impossible. I've had my PS5 since launch and have moderately used my DualSense only for PS5 games--I use my DualShock 4 for PS4 games.

Have your sticks started to drift at all? If so, how?

Started first day. Same as you, drifting upwards. It was really bad for awhile and made Demon's Souls extra fun. The only other game that it became an issue with was MInecraft.

These were the only two games it seemed to affect. I haven't installed very much - Bugsnax, Detroit Become Human, World of Tanks, Katamari - none of those were affected.

I took a break from Demon's Souls and played some today after not playing for almost a week and it wasn't doing it.

I never could figure out a reason because it wasn't something that was consistent. I'd play for 15 minutes and it would start or I'd play for hours and it wouldn't.

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
No I put in maybe 50hrs playtime

I do feel my face buttons arent really smooth to press though, but it doesnt really bother me as the inputs still register
I'm having similar issues, my face buttons are a bit 'sticky' to press as such but they do register ok. Not sure if it's worthy of a replacement but it is a bit annoying

Uncle Fester

Banned
Sep 30, 2019
Yes, my right stick as well. I first noticed on AC Valhalla and thought it was a problem with that game. Then it happened with Spider-Man, then others. If I blow into the joystick area and move the sticks around pretty hard it seems to temporarily fix it. I'll be contacting Amazon tomorrow to see what's up with a replacement. It's the controller that came with the system so I hope they don't want me to return the PS5. I haven't played a ton of games and this started happening after about 2 weeks. Got my PS5 launch day in the US. I haven't dropped the controller either.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
No drift here. It's possible you have some debris in there or something. Might as well get it swapped under warranty.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
When talking about Joy-Con drift, for example when you hold your stick left on the calibration screen it goes back to the middle automatically. While with deadzone issues your stick 'just' gets loose a little and your game thinks you're moving the stick while you aren't, so for example your character starts walking on its own. They are two seperate defects, but people often use the term "drift" for every deadzone issue.

edit: Here's a good example at 0:49:

You see the person holding the stick to the left, but the marker drifts all the way to the right, shoots back to the middle, to the left again etc. This is a different issue from just having a loose stick that automatically makes your character move a little bit while you're not touching it.

Alright. What about if the sensor for the stick thinks you're holding the stick at its furthest position when you aren't? So it's similar to the deadzone thing where it will go off in some direction despite being in the neutral position, but it's going all the way to the maximum rather than being just a little off-center. And no additional calibration helps. Is that drift or a deadzone thing? That's what I had on my Joycon that got fixed and recently intermittently on another one. I thought that was "drift" because it "drifts" off into a random direction, kind of like an extreme deadzone issue.

Last edited:

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, I did get stuck drift on my DS4 back at PS4 launch though. Should be easy to get it replaced.

Oct 26, 2017
My DualSense's right stick is now drifting upward, rendering any kind of play impossible. I've had my PS5 since launch and have moderately used my DualSense only for PS5 games--I use my DualShock 4 for PS4 games.

Have your sticks started to drift at all? If so, how?
Weird timing. My son just came to me about an hour ago because the right joystick is drifting to the right.

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Played a ridiculous amount of Warzone and was thinking today how well built this controller actually is.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Gonna add my "No" to the thread but if you could record a small video to show the severity of it OP, I'd like to see how bad it is.