• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Someone breaks NDA then they deserve what's on the other end of that.

I don't care about "spoilers" for a marketing campaign

Edit: What's this about Netherrealm? You mean when Shang Tsung's VA accidentally talked about being in the game? I don't think they beat him up or anything.

Double edit: Just saw the thing about the Injustice 2 leak. I mean, any time something leaks I assume companies try to lock it down, it is what it is. Netherrealm as a whole seemed like a mess though.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
To reveal confidential information on purpose may break their NDA so they can be fired and sued. Implications go beyond the company making the game, they may have signed a deal to reveal it at some conference (MS), have some exclusive reveal in some media (IGN? Game Informer?), wrong information in the leak may negatively affect the real reveal (everybody thought the paid subscription for Stadia was going to give you many games like PS Now or Game Pass because of a leak but only will give you Destiny 2), it may even affect the company's stock pricing, etc.
People sign NDA, that's a breech of contract and a fireable offense.
I totally get the NDA thing, that's what I meant, unless the OP is talking about the one that actually leaked the information, everyone else won't be affected.
A game's information being released a few days early affecting the company's stock pricing? Lol no.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I just hate leaks in general. I feel like no one wins. We get shitty info, we spoil cool reveals, people get in shit, and all chance of framing the narrative goes away. Maybe I'm just getting old.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I get it sucks for the devs and I feel for those who might lose their job or even just worry about that as I know how horrible that feeling is, but I'm not the person leaking stuff, so no I don't worry about it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
There's a distinct difference between leaking information to the press to reveal information on poor working conditions, harrassment, and the like, and leaking an E3 line-up.

One of those is absolutely necessary to bring light to terrible situations. The other is more or less just a race for notoriety, and anyone that leaks that sort of information out brings the risk of trouble for everyone that had access to that information while it was confidential.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
Leaks are extremely common in the entertainment industry. I have not spent one second worrying about someone's job because something gets shown a bit early.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Leaks are inevitable. They always happen before E3, after E3 and generally just year round. Shit gets out, it happens in the film industry as well.

Every year people act like leaks are some crazy thing.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Leak everything imo. People are already way too invested in the spectacle of reveals than the actual games themselves.

The spectacle of the reveal is kind of the point! It's all in fun and there is plenty of time (forever, technically) to consider the meat of the game. Otherwise why bother with a trade show in 2019.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
nope. Why would anyone worry about that, unless your in the job??

And if someone gets fired because of a leak, they work for a pretty shitty company anyway

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The spectacle of the reveal is kind of the point! It's all in fun and there is plenty of time (forever, technically) to consider the meat of the game. Otherwise why bother with a trade show in 2019.

A leak is also effectively a reveal. For me as a consumer that is not involved in the games industry E3 is just a glorified catalogue of future games.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
If these corporations have their "secrets" "leaked", they are trusting the wrong people, and it's all their fault. Not to mention these "specialized gaming media", or even people on social media, will do everything to get attention/traffic on this matter. That's all, imo.

I totally understand and respect that showing a new game for the first time is a very special moment for a developer. But the one who is leaking something so substantial don't care about that, frankly.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
u even sure these aren't deliberate?
marketing sneaks getting free press
coupla tastee morsels full details l8r

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind so much. It's not like their work just disappears because it got leaked.

We'll still buy the hell out of it and enjoy it.

I'm not sure what layoffs have to do with leaks but obviously no one wants layoffs for these devs.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
There have been more than a few attempts at trying to spin this "leaks are bad!" narrative on this forum in the past year and it's not sticking. Give it up.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
If I breach an NDA contract, I have only myself to blame. Even in the case of Namco, where the leak was unintentional, it was a security breach that was still someone's responsibility.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
i swear its only gaming where people show so much concern over leaks.

It happens in film as well and that can ruin someones career.

Again, it seems to be coming from the MS side of things mostly. It's sad. A lot of work and effort goes into these reveals. They should start spreading fake leaks to throw people off and ruin the credibility of some these people leaking stuff.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
This hyper sensitivity about leaks all of a sudden has become extremely grating.

Is there even any evidence of people being fired over them?

I believe Konami got PORTRAITofRUIN after her leaks, but she leaked shit for two years. I don't know what her relationship was to Konami, however.

Order of Ecclesia stuff is what got her. Surprisingly, not Super Smash Bros. Brawl stuff.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Nope lol. It's for the leakers to worry about. I'm grateful for any leaks but it's not like I can't survive without them. Don't get why people are getting so worried or complaining, it's the leakers own choice.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
What's done is done.

The leaks happened, and there's no undoing it.

It's too bad for whoever mishandled all their responsibilities with the sensitive data, but alas, it's too late.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

Again, it seems to be coming from the MS side of things mostly. It's sad. A lot of work and effort goes into these reveals. They should start spreading fake leaks to throw people off and ruin the credibility of some these people leaking stuff.

Most leaks are the result of external partners being careless.

You can't really spread fake stuff to your marketing partners.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
For something that was going to unfold in two or three days, is it really worth putting the work situation of so many people and the work of marketing people at risk? It seems unethical.

It's people internally doing the leaking, because when it's a case of hacking or stolen info there's usually some indication of that.

The industry is far too secretive and that's the real root of the issue.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

It shouldn't be. Like Jason said, this leads to an unhealthy culture where we put too much stock on the marketing side of things.

Imagine getting spoiled by glorified commercials. Ffs.

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta agree with Jason here.

I feel for the devs who put together whatever we're about to see only to have it leak. But I'm not mad that I know about a game two days before I'm supposed to. Literally for the reasons Jason reveals here.

Oct 25, 2017

And the reveals still happen. The trailers get shown on a big stage. Text-based leaks get fleshed out with concrete imagery and footage. If a whole trailer leaks, well, the work that went into it isn't wasted just because it didn't air at a certain arbitrary date and time.

If you're worried that companies are spending a bunch of money to have an E3 conference and their stage presentation loses some impact because of leaks, well, maybe it's time for those companies to reflect on whether live press conferences are worth the investment.

Oct 25, 2017
And the reveals still happen. The trailers get shown on a big stage. Text-based leaks get fleshed out with concrete imagery and footage. If a whole trailer leaks, well, the work that went into it isn't wasted just because it didn't air at a certain arbitrary date and time.

If you're worried that companies are spending a bunch of money to have an E3 conference and their stage presentation loses some impact because of leaks, well, maybe it's time for those companies to reflect on whether live press conferences are worth the investment.

Yup. Leaks happen all the time. They happen every E3. The fact that you set a date a time for something like E3 means leaks are more probable. More and more people see this trailers and in the case of Bleeding Edge someone actively recorded it. Someone is always going to either say something or show something. Look at the last Sony State of Play. We knew or at least had a strong feeling FF7 would appear in it because a mod here hinted at it.

and yea if anyone is worried about the money these rich corporations are putting into this to have it leaked and feel it isn't worth it. Then they need to reevaluate the relevance of it all.

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
SW5Xn0X.gif

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't be. Like Jason said, this leads to an unhealthy culture where we put too much stock on the marketing side of things.

Imagine getting spoiled by glorified commercials. Ffs.

No way, the hype is a huge part of the fun. Remember, from a consumer perspective, we're talking about toys essentially. Diversions. Fun, interesting diversions that help to waste time. To get caught up in worries about putting "too much stock on the marketing side of things" is only worth it for things like medications, things that affect lives. (keep in mind I'm talking about the consumer side of things, I know that there are real humans with families making these games.) If the spectacle isn't there then E3 is worthless to consumers. Let it be an industry-only even and companies can put the trailers out on their own time (like they already down during the rest of the year).

Loud, in your face, non-stop surprises and reveals, giveaways, same-day releases, that's what e3 needs to be.

Deleted member 40604

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 3, 2018
The only person who is going to lose their jobs over leaks is the person who is doing the leaking. Leaks have never really led to a loss in sales. Hell, I would even argue that leaks usually end up generating more hype or make no difference at all because the vast majority of consumers aren't following forums like Era. Mario X Rabbids actually benefited from the leaks because it got people primed for the actual announcement and it was well received because people went from "Rabbids and Mario fuck that!" To "ok this game is way better than I expected."

Oct 25, 2017
No way, the hype is a huge part of the fun. Remember, from a consumer perspective, we're talking about toys essentially. Diversions. Fun, interesting diversions that help to waste time. To get caught up in worries about putting "too much stock on the marketing side of things" is only worth it for things like medications, things that affect lives. (keep in mind I'm talking about the consumer side of things, I know that there are real humans with families making these games.) If the spectacle isn't there then E3 is worthless to consumers. Let it be an industry-only even and companies can put the trailers out on their own time (like they already down during the rest of the year).

Loud, in your face, non-stop surprises and reveals, giveaways, same-day releases, that's what e3 needs to be.

No it doesn't. A lot of mostly know before an Apple event before it's revealed. A few games getting leaked doesn't change anything. The big event still happens. The content still get shown and the masses will watch.

Hell most people don't even see the games until they individually watch the trailers on youtube anyway.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I just saw a Twitch employee advertising about a extension so people can preorder games while watching E3 alongside their streamers.....and I remembered why I don't care about leaks occurring. Anything that ruins the hype train that feeds the pre-order money giveaway, the better.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it doesn't. A lot of mostly know before an Apple event before it's revealed. A few games getting leaked doesn't change anything. The big event still happens. The content still get shown and the masses will watch.

Hell most people don't even see the games until they individually watch the trailers on youtube anyway.

A big reason for showing the trailers in such a grand fashion is the hype of the reveal, the surprise. Otherwise, there is no reason to waste money on a conference, none.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
A big reason for showing the trailers in such a grand fashion is the hype of the reveal, the surprise. Otherwise, there is no reason to waste money on a conference, none.

And not the centrally placed, hyped timeperiod where the entire world descends on E3 to report all the announcements and news, no thats totally useless and not worth vs revealing randomly on some random date....

KingLear

Oct 25, 2017
Depending on the nature of the leak i don't think too many jobs are at stake. A lot of leaks just serve to build up hype for products ahead of their actual announcement, i might assume.

Oct 25, 2017

Then as I said. If they still feel this is a waste after it's been leaked. Then they need to rethink their approach to E3. Leaks are a real thing and can happen. Like I said. I do feel for the devs that put time and effort into showing us something special and revealing it on their terms. But I'm not going to lose sleep seeing something now that I would see two days from now.