• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The higher energies involved. If you want to cram more information in a given space, you have to use higher frequencies, and thus more power/space. If you attempt to deliver a message in this 'format' while using the same energy you needed to deliver it over the 4G network, this message would only travel a fraction of what it would otherwise on the older and slower network. Thus, you need to build more antennas along the message's path. That involves a higher cost, and potentially, use of land. As a side effect, you might end up placing antennas in forests and reserves where they previously were none. In addition, IPCs might focus on densely urban areas where the number of subscribers divided by antennas will be the highest, thus maybe contributing to a technological gap with the people living on the land. And on top of that we still don't know the long-term effects of being exposed to these waves of different frequencies. For all we know, it could even fuck with other equipments, let alone biomass.

So just because of the power requirements of 5G, we end up with an economical, environmental, societal and technological problem. Some of these issues can be fixed quicker than others, yes. But we will need to learn sooner than later what effect the introduction of all those different techs have on our daily life, in order to better forecast the future.

Now we are getting somewhere

There does seem to be this rush to get 5G up but Im more concerned about the disruptive effects of all this hardware everywhere (there seems to be significantly increased amount of equipment and power required) just to achieve service thats useable

Still not worried about individual health but public health could be at risk if this tech is disruptive enough to other systems

Layering all this tech on top of each other seems messy

Oct 26, 2017
Non-ionizing radiation...so nope. You're exposed to heavy doses of radiation every day when you step outside in the sunlight, though...better off staying indoors in the dark and getting vitamin D in pill form. :D

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
No, Haven't the frequencies planned for 5G been already in use in the past for other things? (like weather detection I think).

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Health wise? Not in the slightest.

I'm not really sure why 5g needs to be a thing (I don't really care enough to look it up), but it's not going to give anyone cancer or anything.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I'm subjected to radioactive waves from space every day that are way more powerful than anything coming from my phone.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Doctor here. Tobacco and alcohol have incredibly bad effects that i (try to) treat every single day yet people are worried about wi-fi?

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
images

This is the same shit as when cellphone first came out ffs.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Now we are getting somewhere

There does seem to be this rush to get 5G up but Im more concerned about the disruptive effects of all this hardware everywhere (there seems to be significantly increased amount of equipment and power required) just to achieve service thats useable

Still not worried about individual health but public health could be at risk if this tech is disruptive enough to other systems

Layering all this tech on top of each other seems messy
Correct. And to illustrate your point with a concrete example, Hackaday wrote an article about how different tech with different purposes can become competitors because they use the same frequency ranges: https://hackaday.com/2019/04/16/5g-buildout-likely-to-put-weather-forecasting-at-risk/

It is important that we start looking at our ecosystem as a network of interdependencies, in which humans (and your WWF panda) are just a part of the equation. Mind you, it was already so before the technological age but with more and more vital functions being monitored by robots, we have to consider them as a part of us. Because, we rely on them. We are like a family in which the latest member is always the bigger and stronger one. At some point, you want to stop a second and understand what you're doing.
images

This is the same shit as when cellphone first came out ffs.
This is not the world we lived in in 1996. Rules have changed and are now an order of magnitude more complex.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Was there a concern for EDGE, 3G, 4G? If not why is it now?
This stupid shit has been going on for decades at this point. At one time we had infomercials capitalizing the cell phones giving brain tumors/cancer hysteria by selling "shields" to install over the speaker end to protect you the electro magnetic field giving you cancer. *cue spooky music*

In the 80s (maybe 70s, don't remember) and most of the 90s focus for EMF radiation hysteria was power lines and substations.

Everyone should have brain cancer or some other cancer by now.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No, I know the difference between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation. Furthermore I understand that we are literally swimming in radio-spectrum radiation every day, even without any human activity.

Last edited:

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
Wasnt there a thread about 5G messing with weather radar? What ever happened with that

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It is important that we start looking at our ecosystem as a network of interdependencies, in which humans (and your WWF panda) are just a part of the equation. Mind you, it was already so before the technological age but with more and more vital functions being monitored by robots, we have to consider them as a part of us. Because, we rely on them. We are like a family in which the latest member is always the bigger and stronger one. At some point, you want to stop a second and understand what you're doing.

This is not the world we lived in in 1996. Rules have changed and are now an order of magnitude more complex.
giphy.gif

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Wasnt there a thread about 5G messing with weather radar? What ever happened with that

Concerns yeah. Encroaching on other service spectrums that can also include those used by emergency services. Though they could just adopt or piggy back off of the 5G

Not sure that same option is available for weather services though so we will have to see how disruptive a fully setup network would be as far as interference goes

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Eventually, we'll need wireless-block like we need sunblock. Dystopian future, here we come, and you unbaked sheep will turn red in repentance.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are only two issues that bother me.

1) The possible interference in the US with weather radars

2) The huge increase in power needed the antennas, specially when you consider the added electronics that need to go inside.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
My in-laws believe that my AirPods are going to give me a brain tumour because they don't have a wire connecting them together and therefore the signal has to go through my brain.

So yes there are people that dumb out there. That's why jerks like Linus (and all those other YouTubers) shouldn't be insinuating any kind of clickbait-y stuff because there are people who literally just look at the book cover and claim to be experts on the matter.

The thumbnail should just be "Is 5g bad for your health? NO".

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As pointed out the military has been using these frequencies for many years. So you've already been "exposed". To non ionizing radiation.

You have more to worry about from AirPods. o Tesseract im being a bit facetious here but having a transmitter right inside your head on both sides is not ideal. Your family member is not really wrong about that.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm mostly concerned about what it will mean for weather prediction. Now more than ever we need accurate forecasting. If 5G will indeed set us back decades on that front, it's not worth it.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think all Gs are unsafe. Humanity will be hit by a plague of cellular related illness and the poor will inherit the Earth.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
only thing im worried about is how invasive the towers are going to be. The world is full of so much ugly shit these days, power lines, cell towers, ugly buildings. I wish we as a society would make everything beautiful and blend in.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
This thread so far:

People who have no knowledge of physics mix it up with their lack of knowledge on biology with a giant "what if?"

Status
Not open for further replies.