• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is your primary PC wired or wireless?

• Wired

Votes: 331 58.2%
  • Wireless

Votes: 153 26.9%
  • A mix depending on use case.

Votes: 85 14.9%

• Total voters

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Wireless. I have three floors and the router is in the bedroom on the second floor.

Gaming systems are on the first, and my office is on the third. My home isn't wired for ethernet, and I have no desire to put the money into that since I never planned on staying at this house for too long. The only things hard wired into the router are a PiHole and a Smart things hub.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the house is wireless, but my office is wired and my entertainment center is wired as well.

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
PC, laptop, 4KTV and consoles wired.

One laptop I have from work (which don't use too often) , Switch and mobile phones (obviously) wireless.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
PC is wireless and a floor above my router. I'm seriously leaning towards next-gen consoles over a new PC because my main TV is right next to the router.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Ok but in alll seriousness -- people who say they just run wires through their house--how are tall doing that? Can you recommend me a video guide? I actually hate being wireless on my asus tuf gaming x570 mobo. I dont really notice any latency/network jitter, but I'm sure my opponents do and it kinda bothers me.

My router/modem combo is in my bedroom (2nd floor). But my pc is in my upstairs "office" down the hall (also 2nd floor). I refuse to move my desk/pc back in my bedroom again :0. So do I just start drilling holes? I really dont want the wires visible.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
PC and PS4 both wired. PC just to have the top speed/stability possible, PS4 just to try to get any boost I can to PSN download speeds...

Oct 25, 2017
Tri-State
I have 4 Vlans on my home network and all my switches are managed, UPNP is turned off, Devices have QoS on them as well. My home network is bigger than most small businesses networks.

Guest Vlan wifi
Iot smart home devices(they aren't be trusted and I have set to be intranet only Vlan for the most part)
Development network (Build machine, and my main workstation)
Media Network(Plex, Game consoles, streaming devices).

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Ok but in alll seriousness -- people who say they just run wires through their house--how are tall doing that? Can you recommend me a video guide? I actually hate being wireless on my asus tuf gaming x570 mobo. I dont really notice any latency/network jitter, but I'm sure my opponents do and it kinda bothers me.

My router/modem combo is in my bedroom (2nd floor). But my pc is in my upstairs "office" down the hall (also 2nd floor). I refuse to move my desk/pc back in my bedroom again :0. So do I just start drilling holes? I really dont want the wires visible.
I don't see how there can be a video guide, people are either living in homes that have Ethernet built in to outlets, ripping into drywall and making their own outlets, then patching it back up and repainting it and shit or tacking it along the wall's moulding or something. Unless you live in an place where the ceiling's panels like a school you're not going to have an easy time doing it unless your comfortable leaving the wires out.

Sadire

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 31, 2017
Wired, my wireless is so pathetic it can't reach my room.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Wired for the things that matter (which is everything but phones lol). I have a few Devolo Magic 2 LANs and they have been serving me very well.

I did have issues with the powerline adapters initially but once I updated their firmwares and changed some settings they're working like a dream. Probably still worse then laying an actual UTP cable but that's not going to happen unfortunately (we're renting)

When I buy a house I would like to wire it up properly though

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Wired. It's a gaming PC for one, and my setup is right next to the router for the other. Though I noticed no significant performance loss running on wifi with this thing, I'm literally next to the damn router, so I might as well just use a wire.

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
Wireless because my PC is a laptop and needs to be moved around. Speeds are fine and I don't do a lot of online gaming on it. My 3 consoles and TV are all wired though.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Wireless, used to always try to find solutions to stay wired but I have had zero issues since switching to wireless last year. Works just as well as wired.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
My laptop is wireless, and it's my main computer, but all my static lounge stuff - TV and consoles - is wired. Except the Switch. I never go online with it and can't be bothered buying an ethernet adapter.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Wired, i don't see why i would use WIFI on my tower (even tho my motherboard has the possibility). Seems hella weird.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
PC wired, no other way to utilize 2gbit internet.

Everything else 5ghz wifi through mesh. 500-600 mbit on phones, tablets and laptops, consoles are super inconsistent speed wise but not even ethernet can help that sadly.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have two desktops, two laptops, and now a Macbook in my apartment, and all but the Macbook are wired when I use them.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
PC, TV and PS4 are wired.

Nintendo switch is wireless because I cant find a compatible Ethernet to USB adapter locally.

Work laptop is wireless since I like being able to freely move around while I code.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Everything on Wifi. I don't really do competitive online multiplayer, so I don't care about latency. I do occasionally play Steam Remote Play Together, and that works great, but I guess if you play in co-op it's less of an issue if one player is a bit slower, you just wait.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Wired for my PC

Wireless for all my consoles

I really don't think I could live with wireless on PC

Jasup

Oct 25, 2017
Yurop
If it stays in place it's wired, if it moves around it's wireless.
Except for my printer for which I didn't have a cable when I bought it and haven't bothered to get one.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
My desktop is wired, everything else - media pc, laptop, tablet, phones, etc. are wireless.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
My stupid rental home basically has no ethernet for any floor except the basement

So I'm on wifi now and it sucks so bad. I want to get a good mesh wifi system but they are also costly

Oct 29, 2017
I have a PS4 Pro and XB1X in the basement, a XB1S in the bedroom, TVs on 3 floors (2 in basement, one on main floor, 3 in the bedrooms), and everyone's phone or tablet is connected. Modem/router on main floor, everything connected through wireless (google home mesh). Back in my single, young, apartment living days, those systems would be hard wired. Now... wireless everything. No real way around it. Cant afford for Ethernet cables to be installed into the walls, and even if I wanted to run cables along the floor (I dont), pretty sure the wife would nix that REAL quick. lol I'd be interested in those who say wired, who have systems on different floors from their modem, who also live in a house - what is the setup there?

Oct 30, 2017
I don't have a desktop at home. Network is mixed. Consoles, TV, NAS, and other stuff wired. Phones, laptops, tablets etc. wireless.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Used to have my desktop wireless but then I upgraded my internet and wanted my money's worth:
0zbpNla.png

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PC is wired, NAS is wired, everything else is wireless.

Big reason my PC is wired is that I stream VR from my PC to an Oculus Quest and being wired halves the wireless traffic.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Wired, Cat5e something or another across the house, made during a weekend years ago.
Wireless only for mobile devices and the lone Amazon FireTV in the living room.

No one's complaining so far.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
My phone line fortunately comes in right behind my TV and AV equipment, so everything is wired with the exception of portable devices.

We're moving into a house soon so might have to get more creative, though. Assuming the phone outlet is in the same room I'll just run a long cable, and maybe think about professional ethernet wiring whenever we remodel.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
PC is wired and sat right next to the router. Consoles use power line, everything else is wireless. Aside from just being more reliable I just hate to not have a PC conveniently wired up to access the router settings when there's a fault that needs to be diagnosed.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Everything that can be wired is, got a 16 port switch (with about eight ports spare) in the game den to keep everything hooked up. Got google mesh wifi for the phones/tablets etc.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Our 2 PCs are wired. Our offices are right next to each other, so it was easy to drill a hole through the wall and run an ethernet line to my wife's office.

Everything else is wireless.