• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you willing to boycott ActiBlizzard?

• Yes

Votes: 2,919 69.8%
  • No

Votes: 851 20.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 413 9.9%

• Total voters

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised at the reluctance to call this situation censorship, which for once, would actually apply.

That's part of what's unsettling about it to me: The specifics of what Blizzard has done are an extension of a state's propaganda goals re: seized territory and quelling a social uprising. The substance of what they're doing isn't internally motivated aside from greed, and they're punishing their own players in material ways to enforce China's censorship goals. That has a particular tinge of cruelty to it. Normally even when there are distasteful associations, the game company isn't the one carrying out the slimy stuff directly. And even when a game company does something slimy, it's of their own accord.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
just curious, is this bit still about Blizzard or just a general statement? Because "funding genocide" is very murky, unless you consider every company with dealings with China (aka where China profits from them), then you can include pretty much every developer or console maker out there and just say "videogames fund genocide".

Which technically wouldnt be false I guess? There's a fucked up thought >_<

In his Hitler example it wasn't murky

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Blizzard won't care. Their Chinese audience is far more numerous and lucrative than anyone in the West willing to boycott them.

Hollywood has been pandering to China for years now, and the few people that care enough to notice don't even mind.

They already care. Money is money. Enough to care to do things differently is another issue, but actions like these can't go without consequences. There has to be a cost

Oct 28, 2017
I've been playing Hearthstone since open beta, I have two accounts with a total of over 35k wins.

I'm usually staunchly anti-boycott because I think you're mostly harming lower level employees who probably agree with you but in this case, I'm not playing another game until they at least give him his prize money back and re-hire the casters.

Totally gross behavior.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
You're asserting it's irrelevant. I'm not convinced that's true.
No Blizzard doesn't get a middle ground here. They don't get to do that. Either money means more to them than human rights or it doesn't. They don't get to say "Well we definitely feel bad that we gotta do things this way, but that's just business guys. Sorry." As if that is somehow an acceptable excuse for bending over backwards to appease a brutally violent and oppresive regime.

Fuck them for taking this course. And fuck them until they change it. There is no in between.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Imo to those who wants Sekiro .. people can always buy the Asian Ver. Physically or Digitally

Guilt free as its published by From Software

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Until the day that they reverse course and basically give up the Chinese market, then whatever cost (boycotts/lost revenue) they're taking doesn't matter enough to them.

If they don't reverse course it doesn't mean they don't care. They still want to Maximize revenue and thus their decision making will be affected moving forward

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No Blizzard doesn't get a middle ground here. They don't get to do that. Either money means more to them than human rights or it doesn't. They don't get to say "Well we definitely feel bad that we gotta do things this way, but that's just business guys. Sorry." As if that is somehow an acceptable excuse for bending over backwards to appease a brutally violent and oppresive regime.

Fuck them for taking this course. And fuck them until they change it. There is no in between.

I agree with you that I want them to reverse course.

My point is that even if they don't, taking action against them still matters.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
If they don't reverse course it doesn't mean they don't care. They still want to Maximize revenue and thus their decision making will be affected moving forward
Caring isn't enough though. Actions are what matter.

Otherwise their "caring" is no different than the usual "Thoughts and prayers!" we see from the Right after Mass shootings. It's meaningless. Blizzard has the ability to enact real consequences here, but they are possibly letting greed get in their way.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I don't buy anything from Activision already, not on purpose (although I fucking hate kotick) just not interested in their stuff really.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Oh I think we can and should demand more than that yes.

My point is that speaking out and protesting is never meaningless.

Oh okay then this was all a misunderstanding. I thought you were trying to argue that just because Blizzard is siding with China here that it doesn't mean they don't care about the people of Hong Kong as if that somehow made their decision to side against them any better.

Thats my bad.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Oh okay then this was all a misunderstanding. I thought you were trying to argue that just because Blizzard is siding with China here that it doesn't mean they don't care about the people of Hong Kong as if that somehow made their decision to side against them any better.

Thats my bad.

Yes.

I was arguing against the self defeating loser attitudes of many in the thread. Not giving blizzard a pass at all.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Imo to those who wants Sekiro .. people can always buy the Asian Ver. Physically or Digitally

Guilt free as its published by From Software
If you're a console player, sure. But I think all of the PC versions are Acti. And even then, finding a key that is from a region where they don't publish doesn't mean it'll register in your region.

Me personally, the boycott is easyish. I can ditch Call of Duty Mobile, though I was wanting MW4 given I haven't played a new FPS, especially a modern era one, in years and could really go for one, especially with the mobility that's now in game.

Drwu

Aug 23, 2018
Mainly for the hong kong stuff but i was pretty close to boycotting them for being generally a gross company with the tax dodging and the predatory loot box shit

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you're a console player, sure. But I think all of the PC versions are Acti. And even then, finding a key that is from a region where they don't publish doesn't mean it'll register in your region.

Me personally, the boycott is easyish. I can ditch Call of Duty Mobile, though I was wanting MW4 given I haven't played a new FPS, especially a modern era one, in years and could really go for one, especially with the mobility that's now in game.

Screenshot_20191010-140902__01.jpg

even on steam asia/japan ver are not published by Activision

but yea you will surely need a asia/japan steam account if ever but its not a bad price to pay

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm definitely impressed that 700 people simply don't give a fuck about anyone but themselves.

Nope. Got hundreds of hours on Diablo III and not stopping now,
Considering you can't give Blizzard any more money for Diablo than you already have, that's probably fine.

That said, I mean who really gives a fuck about Diablo 3 in 2019? I've put in about 3,000 hours and laugh at the suggestion that Diablo 3 is someone's break point. Fuck Diablo 2, 3 and 4.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Nope. Got hundreds of hours on Diablo III and not stopping now,

You continuing to play Diablo does literally nothing. They already have your money, there is no Micros, and there is no monthly subscription fee. Continuing to play it doesn't move the needle at all aside from player count and Diablo 3 has been out for like 50 years so I doubt they are sweating their player count there.

Now WoW on the otherhand.....

rare

Oct 25, 2017
Abso-fucking-lutely.
Already uninstalled everything battle.net related, I feel like fucking shit for even getting the humble monthly this month.

SaiyanRaoh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York
User Banned (5 Days): Trolling over a series of posts; history of similar behavior
imagine being a grown ass adult in the world we live in and still having, like, zero principles.

*raises hand*
I'm definitely impressed that 700 people simply don't give a fuck about anyone but themselves.

Considering you can't give Blizzard any more money for Diablo than you already have, that's probably fine.

That said, I mean who really gives a fuck about Diablo 3 in 2019? I've put in about 3,000 hours and laugh at the suggestion that Diablo 3 is someone's break point. Fuck Diablo 2, 3 and 4.

Well, I give a fuck, and it's the only opinion here that matters to me. Thank you, and I'll probably buy 4 when that's released.

Oh, I also dropped the money on that Crash/Spyro Humble Bundle. More to the backlog pile!

Last edited:

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not surprised about the apathy, but I am surprised about the people who are seemingly proud of the fact that they are devoid of principles.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
It's pretty appalling how openly, morally bankrupt people are here.

Then again, given the general state of the world, I shouldn't be surprised in the least.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I voted no but I've done some thinking and I've changed my mind. Probably done with them until they at least TRY to fix this.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I can't even get behind the idea that they want to protect their revenue in emerging markets. Authoritarian regimes bait people and companies into betraying their home nation's democratic rights like this all the time, and if keeping a user on a game platform is enough to lose the market entirely, then they only have the most tenuous grasp on that market in the first place and shouldn't have relied on the revenue from it. PERIOD.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People should probably look at this list and see if they've supported any of these companies before grandstanding about how moral they are for boycotting blizzard over this and how everyone else is a literal monster https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/...d_espn_forbids_discussion_of_chinese/f32iio0/

It's not that easy. Sorry.

That said the people going "lol yeah i don't give a fuck" are definitely pieces of shit

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could pretend I'd boycott them over this, but I already stopped buying their games so it's more a 'stay the course' than an actual boycott.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
People should probably look at this list and see if they've supported any of these companies before grandstanding about how moral they are for boycotting blizzard over this and how everyone else is a literal monster https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/...d_espn_forbids_discussion_of_chinese/f32iio0/

That said the people going "lol yeah i don't give a fuck" are definitely pieces of shit
It's also not quite the same. While many of those decisions are bad, most of them aren't directly penalizing their consumers for their political beliefs, either. I couldn't fault anyone for taking umbrage with any of the stuff on that list, but a significant amount of that is about how they market their products, which mostly impacts the company alone and our perceptions of them. The stuff that goes beyond that categorization and has direct consumer impacts is where to focus the most attention, as people are doing here.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

Steam/Valve missing on that list (and I'm sure more as well).

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's also not quite the same. While many of those decisions are bad, most of them aren't directly penalizing their consumers for their political beliefs, either. I couldn't fault anyone for taking umbrage with any of the stuff on that list, but a significant amount of that is about how they market their product. The stuff that goes beyond that fairly benign categorization and has direct consumer impacts is where to focus the most attention, as people are doing here.
How are consumers being penalized here?

Also why does that matter? Isn't the point that people don't want to support an authoritarian regime? China I mean, not the US. All these companies do that.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Already done - all Blizzard games deleted and I've no intention of buying any others unless Blizzard do a complete 180 on this recent issue (which seems highly unlikely). I also no longer watch anyone streaming any Blizzard games and won't watch any streamers who support Blizzard's decision.

legendofjelda

Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
They have me by the balls - I love their products too much. I'm impressed with the boycott though. Hadn't expected it to amount to much, but it has escalated very quickly. Hope that the message is received loud and clear at Blizzard and that they make amends. Somehow.

Blizzcon is going to be interesting...

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How are consumers being penalized here?

Also why does that matter? Isn't the point that people don't want to support an authoritarian regime? China I mean, not the US. All these companies do that.
This line of questioning borders REAL close to the "no ethical capitalism" argument that people wave about in discussions like these to suppress dissent by labeling anyone who does so as some form of hypocrite, so I'm just gonna put the breaks on responding further beyond this:

I'm pretty sure that the guy they banned is a consumer, as would anyone else who behaves as that consumer had and might receive the same treatment would be. Therefore, this action has a direct consumer impact. Not hard to puzzle that out, just have to read the OP.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This line of questioning borders REAL close to the "no ethical capitalism" argument that people wave about in discussions like these to suppress dissent by labeling anyone who does so as some form of hypocrite, so I'm just gonna put the breaks on responding further beyond this:

I'm pretty sure that the guy they banned is a consumer, as would anyone else who behaves as that consumer had and might receive the same treatment would be. Therefore, this action has a direct consumer impact. Not hard to puzzle that out, just have to read the OP.
I mean, there is no ethical consumption. That doesn't mean people shouldn't protest this. It's just kinda funny that people seem to only care when it directly affects them, and supporting murderous regimes is a secondary concern.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Voted No as I dont plan to buy any of their stuff anyway. So I can't really boycott when im not in the pool to begin with haha.