• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Friend: "What's that on TV? You watching that stupid cartoon again?"

• (+1 Bold)(Reputation DOWN) Yes? What? You gotta problem with me?

Votes: 60 15.9%
  • (Lie) (Speech chance 80%) No. I was just looking through stuff. I have no idea what that is.

Votes: 21 5.6%
  • (Reputation DOWN) Do I ask you what you watch?

Votes: 10 2.6%
  • (Intelligence)(Reputation UP) ...well actually, I'm writing a paper on animation...

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • (Vex) (MAJOR Reputation UP chance 50%) Strike a JoJo pose.

Votes: 67 17.7%
  • Yes. (Boring answer)

Votes: 217 57.4%

• Total voters

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Last weekend, there was a family gathering + friends.
I listened to a bunch of 30 years old talking about anime and manga.
It's cool as long as you don't make it weird.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Legit thank god for Dragonball Z and Pokemon in Southern Africa.

Pretty much everyone knows what anime is, and Dragonball and Pokemon took over many a highschool.
The most popular brand of crisps/chips in SA would have Pokemon branding so even adults knew what pokemon was/is.

SO if someone "catches" you watching anime they rarely ask stupid questions.
Its usually what anime is this?
Is there fighting in this?
Is there an english dub available? (I 94% watch subbed).

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We have anime/manga discussions at work, we're all in our 30s and the cringe is surprisingly low. I guess the sweet spot lies in how much respect you have for the other people (we're all super "work friends", honestly) and knowing when to stop.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I don't tend to volunteer my particular choices in entertainment, whatever they may be at the time

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I do watch cartoons and I talk about them IRL, just not anime (Bojack, The simpsons, South Park, Gravity Falls).

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
And personally, I do think they're different, they may be all drawings on paper, but there are a lot of differences between Tintin and Dragon Ball, like the drawings, the characters, how the story is stold, the themes, the public targeted, etc.
There's a lot of differences between Twilight and Crime and Punishment but they're both parts of the same medium. If we go by art style and narrative techniques Scott Pilgrim and Deadpool shouldn't be parts of the same medium either.

Nov 18, 2017
This thread is a beautiful self parody, those poll options are such a pure form of cringe.

Its okay to be into things you like, but dont let that shit become your only identity. OP sounds like he needs help socializing maybe try looking at classes for new skills or start seeing some bands.

Take it from someone whose done this once already, if you let your nerdiness be your only defining personality trait your gonna have a tough time making new friends the deeper you get into your 20's.

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
There's a lot of differences between Twilight and Crime and Punishment but they're both parts of the same medium. If we go by art style and narrative techniques Scott Pilgrim and Deadpool shouldn't be parts of the same medium either.

Ok. You won't change my mind on that, and I don't think you'll be able to change french people opinions on that either, or at least not the whole population. Personally, I think there's enough noticeable differences between a manga, a bande-dessinée, a comic, a graphic novel, a manhua and a manhwa to help me to know that they won't be the same and what to expect of them. By the way there are french mangas. Yes, they are officially called "mangas français" and not "bande-dessinées". Do what you want with that...

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
I would ask if they watched Bob's burgers or South Park and kindly tell them to STFU.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Yes, and honestly I don't get why anyone would feel the need to get defensive about enjoying anime nor do I understand why anyone would really judge anyone for enjoying anime.

Everyone has their hobbies, this one is yours. Big deal, really.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
ca28oilm.jpg

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
It's all just long-standing stigma of Anime seen as Cartoons. Most people have never seen shows like Cowboy Bebop, Stein's Gate, Carole and Tuesday. Shows that are meant to have characters and narratives in line with live shows.

My two roommates were extremely anti-anime. After showing Yuri on Ice to one of them she thawed on it, now we are all the way up to Sarazanmai. Opinions do change and I think Anime is definitely moving into the mainstream now. I would look for people who share your interest, or maybe try to show those who judge it something in Anime that can move them?

KDReyes92

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it was like this for me as a teenager, was big into anime and watched it everyday but none of my friends give a single fuck about that kinda stuff to the point where eventually I stopped watching too.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Cartoons are for kids" is still prominent. let alone the difference between cartoons and anime. its fine OP just like what you like
Anime is cartoons. It's just silly graphic novel vs comic book arguments. Trying to make a distinction to make them more acceptable but they the same thing.

It's OK to like cartoons. Adult and Family friendly cartoons exist, nobody says anything over an adult watching The Simpsons or Family Guy.

JetBazooka

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
I used to want to like anime... but over this past decade, anime fans have really turned me away from it completely.

Yep! They out here talking about relationships, fan service, sempai, waifus and all that jazz 24/7. It's straight up live action soap opera in anime form. Soap operas are the worst form of modern day television yet somehow in anime form these people are eating it all up. I think its even more boring in anime form to be honest. Days of our lives tier anime really messed things up. I watched a lot of anime and people will get roasted if they are watching the days of our lives type of anime because it is boring and done better in live action form.

Live action television surpassed a lot of anime out there already either way. That is what most people should have moved onto by now with all these huge fantasy big budget hbo, netflix, hulu, etc shows. Huge cinematic universes we got going on now should be the main course meal for content. All of them have tons of fans, are in english and you can have discussions about them in real life with a lot more people. My main course meal of content is always deep in reality or live action shows. I will cherry pick only the best anime as something I will watch or read on the side. I mean only the best, nostalgic, cult classics, etc.

My first anime was original dragon ball before dragonball z and cartoon network toonami became a thing.
There is a difference between watching or reading a few anime/manga a year and only watching and reading anime and manga. How can one grow if all the content they absorb comes from one place? The place is not only outside of reality but outside ones country and outside ones age group on many occasions.

Last edited:

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I could stop being a fucking weeb

All my freinds know I like anime so this wouldn't bother them. If it did they probably wouldn't be my friends.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I used to want to like anime... but over this past decade, anime fans have really turned me away from it completely.
Yeah, I was into it for a while as well and still respect the best productions, but between the fans and the weird shift to moe kids, most modern shows just don't appeal at all. I still enjoy the classics, though.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
Don't get involved with the communities, this is the closes right here that i do to getting involved with anime communities.

I have a friend who is open to it but the closest he's gotten to it so far is watching Gundam, but not much more and a brother in law who watches everything and constantly shows me ones that are odd concepts and obscure (whats the one about anime AI girls on submarines? he keeps trying to get me to watch that).
I sit in between the two, watching/have watched Outlaw Star, Cowboy Beebop, Dragon Ball (all), Fairy Tail, & deadly Sins, Evangelion and currently all of Full Metal Alchemist (2003) and half way through Borotherhood
Tried Attack on Titan and found it too gorey for the sake of it

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
If you are an adult, you never explain or justify a hobby, as long as it is legal and doesn't impact the quality of your life. If you feel a need to justify it (for whatever reason) it shows a lack of self-esteem and gives people leave to disrespect you further (as they seem to be doing).

Own it. Whenever I had something similar happen, I give simple, short and confident answers.
"What are you watching?!" -A cartoon.
"Why are you still playing video games?!" - Because they're fun.

(Edit: And I completely missed the thread being a parody)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
If you are an adult, you never explain or justify a hobby, as long as it is legal and doesn't impact the quality of your life. If you feel a need to justify it (for whatever reason) it shows a lack of self-esteem and gives people leave to disrespect you further (as they seem to be doing).

Own it. Whenever I had something similar happen, I give simple, short and confident answers.
"What are you watching?!" -A cartoon.
"Why are you still playing video games?!" - Because they're fun.

(Edit: And I completely missed the thread being a parody)
????????
Nani? It is not. I am 100 percentage serious. Sorry, my I tend to go in and out of my Japanese very randomly. Please understand.

Let me try this way:

冗談じゃない。

Last edited:

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
always conceal your power level

I mean actually though.

God, the dust people at work kicked up when they found out I used to cosplay...

It's nice to have some separation.

Anyway OP, checkout meetup.com, there's a bunch of "watch anime together" nights going on around here, I bet there's some in your area.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway OP, checkout meetup.com, there's a bunch of "watch anime together" nights going on around here, I bet there's some in your area.
I had no idea this was a thing. Wow. I might look into this.

Also, you used to cosplay??? Wow. What characters?

Edit: holy shit I found some people in my area who are watching anime!!!! Wtf? There's only like... 5 people but still wow. More than I thought in this " no anime/videogame state"!!!

Last edited:

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a cartoon godammit it's JAPANAMATION..

Yeah I been going to a weekly social for years. Watch current stuff and vintage. I force everyone to watch great 80s ova's.