• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Our favorite breakfast spot in town is doing full menu order and pickup all organized with designated parking spots and all that. I tipped 20 on a 30 dollar order cause we appreciated them staying open so much.

It was ... so tasty.

Mechashiva

Jan 7, 2018
Why is this even a question? These people are working in a pandemic for you. Fucking tip well. For pickup, tip like delivery, for delivery even more.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Why would I tip for carryout? That's like tipping the cashier at a grocery store.
Well it's not. Cause your food doesn't magically appear in front of you. There is a team prepping and handling your food that is given to you. Generally (not 100% of the time) pickup tips are spread out to the team. I can understand not tipping on takeout orders normally, but during this crisis it's basic kindness imo.

Mar 3, 2019
If I have to physically still walk into the store, then no I am not tipping. If they have some sort of curbside pickup then ill think about it, but honestly there is no easy safe way to tip for curbside. For delivery I don't trust doordashers whatsoever to maintain a basic level of hygiene.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would I tip for carryout? That's like tipping the cashier at a grocery store.
you should tip everyone who is working retail right now, including cashiers at grocery stores. They're vulnerable in a way most of the world isn't at the moment, putting themselves in more danger. Their job makes them come into the most contact with other people. All essential workers should get more pay right now. If these people were to quit working, the world would collapse right now.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Well it's not. Cause your food doesn't magically appear in front of you. There is a team prepping and handling your food that is given to you. Generally (not 100% of the time) pickup tips are spread out to the team. I can understand not tipping on takeout orders normally, but during this crisis it's basic kindness imo.
All the stores essential items people need don't magically appear on the shelves and you don't see people tipping the stickers. I have yet to get a tip. Only people calling you a hero and coughing on you.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
There's a small Thai restaurant I always go to. They have the best red curry. Always leave a good tip.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
All the stores essential items people need don't magically appear on the shelves and you don't see people tipping the stickers. I have yet to get a tip. Only people calling you a hero and coughing on you.
Oh, I'm aware of that. I think people who are working groceries should get tipped rn as well. The system in place makes it a more complicated process. Pickup orders are a complicated one, but I do believe we should be tipping people out if we can at this time because companies are surely slacking on paying decent wages. I don't think tipping on takeout is usually a necessity but these are different times.

If you are ordering food and it is delivered to your house there is absolutely no excuse.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'm tipping more for pickup than I tipped previously for eat-in. I actually haven't ordered any delivery yet.

i don't know how you're supposed to tip grocery workers though? You guys slipping them a five or something at checkout?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm tipping more for pickup than I tipped previously for eat-in. I actually haven't ordered any delivery yet.

i don't know how you're supposed to tip grocery workers though? You guys slipping them a five or something at checkout?

I do the online checkout which has curb delivery, they bring your stuff out to you in boxes. Everything is paid for through your card, so I just slip them some cash while i'm there. It's outside and it can't be misconstrued as them pocketing money meant to pay for the food. I know you're not supposed to be dealing with cash right now, but they need money.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I always tip any time I'm buying food or coffee, regardless of pick up or delivery. I was raised on tips, and I understand that it's a livelihood hood for many families, so coronavirus hasn't changed any of my behaviors at all.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Tipping 30-40% now. Local businesses only. Cutting back on takeout though as getting too close to the point in my state where if I got sick I would be getting sick into the peak hospitalization, so staying home as much as possible.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I've always tipped the delivery drivers and continue to do so.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Hell yeah I am. We've decided to do take out three times a week while working from home. We tip well every time and we're just picking it up. People need help, my wife and I are still working with full pay. How could I not?

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always tip a few bucks on pick up anyway. Now I'm doing 20%. They are doing all of these extra precautions and are running skeleton crews.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I went full 20% on my pickups and sometimes 30%, never tipped more than $2 on pickups before but the situation kind of requires tipping for the whole bill now. I just wonder how the tips being split up affects them since it's not going to a single server now.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
you should tip everyone who is working retail right now, including cashiers at grocery stores. They're vulnerable in a way most of the world isn't at the moment, putting themselves in more danger. Their job makes them come into the most contact with other people. All essential workers should get more pay right now. If these people were to quit working, the world would collapse right now.
Buying food is essential and many people cannot afford to tip when they're buying food, that's not a reasonable position to take.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yeah we're lucky to have already been heavy on the cans. Lots of other small breweries aren't nearly as lucky. Many will go under.

One of the smaller Chicago based breweries manually canned 50 kegs worth of beer that were meant for restaurants and bars. The problem for them is they are not in stores so they have to rely on people doing curb side pickup. That is a lot of beer to unload.

in regards to tipping, tip now just because of the conditions.

Deleted member 12028

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We actually stopped going out altogether, but we are tipping the grocery delivery people through their app.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
absolutely. i just did that earlier tonight at this vietnamese place near work. i'm just thankful when a restaurant is open. other workers gotta eat too and sometimes it's easiest to take out when available.

these ppl are out there risking their health to be there and protect their life's work. you bet i'm tipping them right now.

some of the responses here make me fucking sick. a pandemic is not the time to be fucking cheap.

Zona

Oct 27, 2017
I was tipping pick up and delivery anyway, I have bumped the tips up to 25%-30% from 18-20ish.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'm living like a god damn prince being able to work from home while these people are struggling to keep their businesses open or to hold a job. Hell yeah I'm tipping on every curbside and delivery order.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I have never tipped for curbside pick up.

DoubleD

Nov 2, 2017
EST
Hell yeah. Dropped a 10 piece at the Dunkin drive thru today. To work direct with the public in this time so I can indulge in non-essential items, take my money.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone feel more comfortable doing pick up rather than something like Grub Hub delivery? I have like $250 in grub hub gift cards (baby in Feb) and I'd rather avoid delivery fees and do restaurants that have GH pick up. Even though you have to physically go to the restaurant there isn't some random driver grabbing your order and driving around with it in their car.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Nowhere is pickup by me. Delivery drivers are leaving the food at your door then going. And also no.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Local places I definitely have been tipping even for pickup when I usually wouldn't. Kinda go out of my way for those smaller places that might have a tough time making it.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, we ordered from doordash the other day (first time) and gave a big tip. I doubt I'll use them alot but it's nice once in awhile.

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
Uber Eats and other apps offer ways to tip after receiving your order.
I drastically cut back on takeout when I found out that on top of a service fee and tip they usually overprice the menu items on services grubhub and ubereats. It's just a big waste of money. It's I'm not even like a few cents I saw items for $5 more at this restaurant.