• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First time I've done a pickup with the shelter in place and decided to leave a decent tip for a local restaurant. Normally I never tipped on pickup orders, but I'm trying to help local businesses. Also picked up a gift card.

I believe the consensus here was that most didn't tip on pickup. Has anyone changed course with the recent events?

zero2000

Oct 28, 2017
I've drastically reduced the amount of pick-up and delivery orders I have been doing, but I have been doing 15-20% tips for both when I do.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A couple bucks for takeout, yes -- not 15-20%. Restaurants have shitcanned all the people that relied on tips anyhow - the servers & bartenders are gone. Now it's just somebody running a cash register and the kitchen staff.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
I've only done curbside once but yes. I ordered and paid online and tipped well

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
If I am certain that the driver/restaurant is getting the tip, sure. If it's just going to the corporate handler, no.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Big believer that (if you're able) you should be tipping service folks generously when possible, now especially. The folks that have delivered our groceries lately have been getting giant tips and I think they're completely deserved.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll tip pick up orders and mom and pop restaurants. They're the only restaurants I'll support during this time.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Big believer that (if you're able) you should be tipping service folks generously when possible, now especially. The folks that have delivered our groceries lately have been getting giant tips and I think they're completely deserved.
Yeah but, before this whole thing started, there have been plenty of stories (even from former delivery employees) of how delivery guys will snack on your food or open up your sandwich and take a nice long lick.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, 20% for all pick up/delivery orders. If you can afford to order delivery you can afford to tip. If you expect them to be in the restaurant working, you should tip them on pick up orders.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I tip 50% of the total when I can while this is going on. Those people need the money more than I do right now.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'm tipping 10% for pick up. Typically would just add a buck or two. Haven't gotten any deliveries though I'd probably put 20% on there

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was for the first couple of days after the lockdown started here, but honestly I'm too paranoid to do carry out/curbside at all now.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Yeah, never tipped on pickup before this. Most I would do is round to the nearest dollar. With curbside, 12ish percent feels fair, plus I want to support the local spots.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, I've only been to one coffee place and one pizza place so far, I tipped at both. Normally I wouldn't tip at all.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The couple times I've ordered from a restaurant 10 minutes away I left 10 dollars in the door hinge for the driver.

So yeah I kinda try to look out for them if I happen to not have frozen chicken during the week.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Doordash is what typically use, its suggesting higher tips than in the past, I'm typically giving the best 'suggested' tip. I haven't even really bothered to figure out what it is by %, lol.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I did because I know they are having very hard times. I'm hoping they find a way to survive through this.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yup

I order my groceries with curb side delivery too and I tip a big amount for them, too. This one girl who was delivering my groceries told me how apparently many people do not tip at all after I tipped her.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Don't normally tip for pickup, but I am doing it now. Definitely tipping on delivery, though we never did delivery before this. Absolutely not using cash though.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
We haven't gone out for food or gotten any delivery in the past 2+ weeks.

We cooking all day, every day.

edit: we have tipped for all grocery deliveries. Never tipped for an Amazon delivery before this.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Don't go to corporate restaurants right now. It's more important than ever to eat local.
So you think the employees who work for corporate franchises are fine to lose their jobs? The people who work at Chili's need the locally-owned franchise to not shut down just as much as the local diner. Franchises don't get free money from the parent corporation to keep employees working when they aren't getting business.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I've always tipped for pickup and especially delivery, I've increased it as much as I can.

That being said I'm not eating a whole lot of to go food rn.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I have been tipping a local business that we frequent. I don't want them to go out of business and am hoping this helps them out.