• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you use Multiple Consoles?

• I usually get multiple consoles

Votes: 896 71.7%
  • I usually have only one console

Votes: 171 13.7%
  • I used to only get one console, but I got multiple for this gen

Votes: 105 8.4%
  • I used to own multiple consoles, but I have just one for this gen

Votes: 78 6.2%

• Total voters

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I've always only had one console per generation (NES, SNES, PS1-PS4). As of current gen I've pretty much been all in on PC, but I will likely get a PS5 at some point, especially if it includes PC features like enhanced BC for PS4 and PS3 games (still have quite a few of those around).

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I always end up with one of each console by the end of a gen. Been like that for the past 4 lol

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
always had PS and nintendo (except Wii U). had xbox this gen and last but wont next gen since i can get everything on pc

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
I used to be but these days I find it's not worth it I'm 25 now and I barely have time for one system. I have a PS4 and a switch but I barely even play my switch due to lack of time. Everytime I find my self excited to play the switch I play it for a few but go back to a bigger experience on my PS4. Xbox and PlayStation are way to similar to justify paying for both live and ps+.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Nintendo is always a constant, and one of the big 2.

I skipped Xbox this gen, so looking forward to the series X! Might skip the PS5 launch, unless there is a killer exclusive. But I do plan on getting a Ps5, condiering all my digital games are on PSN.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This was the first generation in which I had more than one console. (I ended up getting regular PS4, PS4 Pro and XboneX)

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Multiple for me.

PlayStation/Nintendo for exclusives. (Some multiplats I pick up on PlayStation as well)
Xbox for exclusives & multiplats (80% of my friends play on Xbox)

I do have a PC as well, but for the most part I use it for some games only. (Destiny 2, TES: Skyrim, etc). I would probably play on PC more, but none of my friends play on PC and my brother refuses to play on one.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
All systems from Sony and Nintendo usually, and X360 too last gen. however, i doubt i can afford to do this again next gen.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
ironically it was when i was most broke i had "multiple consoles"... ps2 + wii (and you can segue DS and 3DS into that)

i can't even justify a discounted Switch mini with my ps4 +PC combo even though i could probably go balls out and own everything. just no way i'll play more than i already have

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Ever since I've been able to buy my own video games, I buy multiple consoles. That's the only way to play the exclusives.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I always get all three of the big players, except only get the Nintendo handheld, not home console (glad I get both now by default).

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I'm usually a 1 console per gen person, but this time I picked up a One X too and ultimately felt like it was a waste. I hardly played it. Depending on the Series X exclusives I might skip it and stick with just a PS5 this next gen.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Would always like to get all 3 money sometimes make it tho that ill only get 1 at launch and then the others a year or so after

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
No. Most I ever owned in one gen was PS2 and OG Xbox. Last console I bought was PS3.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Not on launch. I will usually buy stuff as necessary once it gets cheap enough. I guess right now the only current-gen system I have is the Switch? Looking to see how the PS5 handles backward compatibility before I pick one up; right now about half of the PS4 games I'm interested in are Vita ports...

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, for the past two gens at least.

This gen, I bought a PS4 and XB1 at launch, bought another PS4 a couple years later because I gave the launch unit away. Bought an XB1X on its launch and a Pro just last month. Don't have a Switch yet.

Last gen I had like... 4 360s (no RRoD, launch unit, then bought another because I wanted an HDMI port, then another one since that one was stolen in a break-in) 2 PS3s and 2 Wiis (2 each because o the break-in). I didn't get the first PS3 until way later though.

Before last gen, though, I was a "one-system per gen" kinda guy.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
now being older, i tend to have one for the generation, then pick up another late on

last gen i was 360, then at the end i got a ps3 which meant i rolled into this gen with a ps4... bought an xbox one s last week

i'll do the same next gen (99% sure it will be xbox due to game pass)

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I usually get the PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo stuff every generation.

EDIT: To expand on this response a bit, since it obviously seems like a drawn out way to say "I get all the major platforms," I meant to say that I'm a bit averse to picking up complete newcomers. Stuff like Ouya or Stadia, for example — I don't think I've ever gambled with anything of that sort. So I specifically only get PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo. To a somewhat shameful extent, I've gone this way with PC VR, too — and that's completely a cost problem and not a desire/trust issue. I have PSVR, and it's been a nice glimpse at seeing the very low-end fringe of what gaming application is like for VR, so I'd love to do PC VR someday. The headsets have come down in price to a reasonable level, but I still want the headset to be backed by a beefy PCbuild for experiences like Half-Life: Alyx.

Last edited:

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I usually have 2-3 at any time. I skipped the Xbone this gen and the Wii U last gen, and the Xbox before that. Other than that I get them all. I'll probably end up with an Xbox Series X and PS5.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I've had a PS1, an Xbox, a PS2 Slim as the PS2 was about to sail into the sunset, a PS3 at launch, like four or five 360's starting in 2006, an Xbox One maybe six months after launch, a PS4 Pro almost two years ago, was a lemon so got another one some month later. Bought a Wii U some weeks ago.

So generally multiple ones, especially the 360.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
I did PS4 and Switch this gen and I felt I got everything I would have wanted. Will do the same for the future.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Usually going with 1 - 2 consoles from each gen plus a handheld and end up beeing a 95% PC player.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
All consoles day one. Since gamecube/ps2/xbox era. + handhelds.

To be honest its probably because of gamestop trade in, at least the "day one " part. Next year I will buy 1 PlayStation 5 and probably 3 Xboxes (serie x) as I'm thinking of buying one for each kid ( I have 2). Gampass reasons. Here in Sweden I assume it will cost me 20 000 SEK so I have already saved 10 000 this year.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The only generation I haven't had multiple consoles is PS1 (had a GBC too). Otherwise have at least two (Sony and Nintendo, though I bought an OG Xbox a few years ago to play some stray exclusives) plus all the handhelds (all three consoles last generation since they all had worthwhile exclusives).

The only console purchase I've ever regretted was the Wii U.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I always buy one of the new consoles on launch and the others as soon as they become fairly deeply discounted. Sometimes I'll buy used to keep costs down, provided that there isn't already a cheating problem that could lead to me buying a banned used console.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been a multi console guy ever since the PS2/Xbox /Gamecube era (or I could say, since I've been an adult with a job).

I sort of regret buying an Xbox this gen the way everything shook out with their PC support. I'm happy to see it and I've enjoyed a bunch of their games from this gen, but it ended up with an Xbox One i only played a couple of games on.

Next gen is even more nebulous. I'm 100% on board whatever Sony first party studios put out so I'll likely get a PS5. The Switch is satisfying since it occupies some unique uses with portability. But again, I'm much less likely to buy an Xbox knowing I can play just about everything on PC.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
The first console I had was a PS1, Second generation was mostly PC, GC and an Arcade machine with Soul Calibur, then I had a Wii with NDS,PSP and PC, now when I have my own income, I have a 3DS, PSV, Switch, PS4, PC. Probably going to go to Switch successor, PS5 and Xbox in future.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Ever since I've had a form of income I've had every console. Next gen will be the first time I don't get an xbox and that's just because I have a great PC. Will no doubt be tempted though.