• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you use Multiple Consoles?

• I usually get multiple consoles

Votes: 896 71.7%
  • I usually have only one console

Votes: 171 13.7%
  • I used to only get one console, but I got multiple for this gen

Votes: 105 8.4%
  • I used to own multiple consoles, but I have just one for this gen

Votes: 78 6.2%

• Total voters

Ox Code

Jul 21, 2018
We all know there are people who buy many of them, but I don't think people know how common doing that is.
Let's find out (at least for people on this forum. You thought this was a professional survey or something?)

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
I bought an Xbox 360 + PS3 and eventually passed the 360 on to family but kept the PS3. Then I bought an Xbox One + PS4 and the same happened. But depending on what the Xbox Series X and PS5 bring to the table, I may well keep both of those as I really want to move away from Windows computing and get an iMac or Mac mini.

May 30, 2018
Always get Sony Console Day 1, and then Nintendo Handhelds when Pokemon come out and Console when Smash come out

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
Since this is a gaming enthusiast forum, you're going to get a lot more multi-console owners than single console owners. I know I'm one of them, for the past two generations (except Vita).

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Kind of a tricky question for Nintendo console owners, considering Nintendo has its own generation cycle.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
All three have first party studios capable of making some of the absolute best games in the industry. I need all.

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
Primarily nintendo. It's the games I want plus switch came at a great time. Do I look I got time to support and enjoy multiple platforms?

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
This was the first gen I didn't get every console from the current three platform holders (I didn't get a Wii U and Xbox One).

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Last gen I had all the systems, this gen I skipped Xbox because as I always keep my PC updated there's no reason to buy a system that has no real exclusives.

I always buy Nintendo systems day one, and Sony systems when there's at least 1 game that I want to play.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes as long as I can, I will always have an xbox and a playstation because I play with different people and I value the experiences both bring, Nintendo is slightly seperate but they are still pretty good experiences and there are certain games I can't resist.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Ever since the PS1 and N64 days, I've usually owned both a Sony and Nintendo console (plus handhelds). I bought an Xbox 360 too, but mostly because it was more affordable than a PS3 at the time. I buy Nintendo consoles since I have been playing their first party games since the NES days and have no interest in changing that habit. I buy Playstation consoles because I play a wide variety of Japanese RPGs and the like.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I get them all plus upgrade my PC. Xbox and PC upgrade are usually first and then Nintendo and PlayStation when there are exclusives I want to play.

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
Every time. I even get duped into buying Nintendo consoles somehow each and every generation.

I've gone through all three xbox's and both ps4's too

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I usually get three (or more, RIP Dreamcast), but this gen I only got two.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, usually I own all of them.

I'm not sure yet if I'll do the same for next-gen.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have been multi-format ever since my Intellivision and Vic 20 joined forces.

Back in the Nintendo/Sega 8-bit and 16-bit days, I would often rent games for multiple systems, and the rental places would always warn me the games were for different systems. They were surprised I owned both. The consoles weren't that expensive. It's not like I owned a Neo Geo.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, multiple is the way to go. I've done this for years.

Might be expensive but still, lol.

The exclusives is why. But...this is the first time I haven't gotten Nintendo yet. Yes I had a Wii U. I'll probably get a Switch after the holidays.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I usually buy every console that comes out from every manufacture. For example this gen I've had every version of the ps4 at some point and every version of the Xbox one except the sad, og switch and switch lite. Same last gen.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo and Sony (and before that, Sega). I've never had an Xbox though. I don't buy multiples of the same console though, but I'm probably gonna get a Switch Lite.

Oct 27, 2017
I've always been a one console person but this gen I got all three in an effort to be able to play any game I wanted. What I learned is that I really don't have the time to invest in all three. Maybe 2 cause I might want an occasional Nintendo exclusive, but 3 is really not necessary for me next gen.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I've usually always had 2.

Gen 6: PS2 & Gamecube
Gen 7: 360 & Wii
Gen 8: PS4 & Wii U/Switch

Next gen I will probably have both the PS5 and Switch 2 or whatever Nintendo makes as well. Not to mention I've always also had Nintendo portables.

And I did get on PC gaming during the 7th generation, so that's yet another system to game on, so it's becoming a bit unwieldy to balance all these systems. Luckily Nintendo has moved to one unified system instead of having both consoles and handhelds, so that's helped, but it's till hard to find time for all the games between everything.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I always had Sony console and Nintendo portable. Glad Switch exists now lol

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I used to.
Now there is no point for me to do it again.
I don't have time to finish what I have in one plataform.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
The only console I haven't gotten within the generation it was launched since the NES was the Wii U. Otherwise, I have all consoles in a gen. Starting with Gamecube, I've bought every console at launch with the exception of the Wii U.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Used to get every new console as they released, but it seemed like there used to be more exclusives. Or just more exclusives that I actually wanted to play anyway. This is the first generation where I've only bought one console, and barely any games for it either. A lot of this has to do with so many of the multiplats being released on PC more than anything though. Was still planning on getting a Switch, so if I do before next November, then I guess I would have purchased two.

May 10, 2018
Not anymore. Been sticking with Sony since last generation. Used to be a Sony+Nintendo guy but realized that I actually didn't care for most of their 1st party games.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
I think one is more than enough. Not enough time in a week for two or more home consoles.

Last edited:

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
I have owned every console (home and portable) since the SNES/PS1 era, with the exception of the Virtual Boy, the 32X, the NGage, and the Sega Saturn (that I can remember, and the later I bought a few years back just because I wanted to have a Saturn). Last three gens I have enjoyed playing on the main groups, which have been the Dreamcast/OGXbox/PS2/GC, the Xbox 360/PS3/Wii/Wii U, and now have XB1X/PS4/Switch. Even had the PSPGo and DSi. I love systems and enjoy playing games on new hardware. Always found them to be worth the cost. I am in day one next gen for one new system (prob Xbox Series), and will likely get the other the following year. I find it I get great use of the hardware no matter what, so I usually get them.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
I usually get more than one. Think this next generation I may only grab Nintendo and Sony consoles and drop Xbox. I love the stuff their doing, but I just didn't turn on my xbox1x that much this go around.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Starting last gen*, I stopped being Nintendo-only and got an Xbox. This gen, I bought a PlayStation console new for the first time, marking the first time I've really bought into all three major hardware companies' platforms.

Aside from the 3DS (since the New models added something besides just speed) and the DS (to replace my OG DS that got stolen. :/ ) I've never bought a mid-gen refresh, though, if I already had an earlier revision of the same console. I don't generally see the value in those.

*Sort-of; I'd previously bought my friend's PS1 off him when he got a PS2, but I never had a Sega anything, skipped the OG Xbox, and didn't get a PS2 until my boyfriend gave me his old PS2 when he got a PS3. I was pretty hardcore Team Nintendo before the Wii happened.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I try to own the least amount of consoles if I can help it. e.g. When I bought a PS3 I immediately sold my Wii.

Currently I own zero consoles and game via streaming. Trying to make this last as long as possible.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first gen I've had a console, but I can see the answer being multiple consoles. I'd want to have a Sony system for the exclusives + multiplats, and a Nintendo system for the exclusives / hand Sony + Nintendo looks to be the combo for me, and I can use the PC for whatever plays better there or isn't available on the other two.

In all honesty it's a lot, and a lot to keep up with, but I like being able to play a game without having to worry about if I have the hardware or not, and I enjoy enough of the libraries on each system to make buying separate hardware worth it, especially since I am okay with waiting for the games and systems to become cheaper.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My thought process is where are the best games for me.

That was PC/Steam and Switch.
Zelda and Mario were exactly what I wanted.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I am but I really regret buying the WiiU and Switch so I might just stick with Playstation only next gen (got a PC as well).

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I just don't have the time for more than one -- shit, to be fair, I don't even have the time for one. No matter which mainstream console it is, I would never be able to play all the games I'm interested in on a single console during its lifetime on the market. So while I used to own multiple consoles, nowadays I just pick my preference, trade in the last one, and roll with one at a time.

That said, I'm a hobbyist and I sometimes work in the industry, so I keep up well regardless. I own a PC and my friends own a variety of consoles, and we do a good job of keeping each other in the loop.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
This gen was the first time I did it. PS4, Wii U, Switch, and I bought a PC capable of playing current gen games and got Game Pass PC. Hopefully I can rely on streaming from the PC/Xbox side of things next gen, ride out the Switch, and get PS5.