• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
I used to chop them off but one day looked up if its OK to eat. Top result said its safe and is like eating spinach.

I started eating them after that.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
No. Each around them or cut a shallow core off the top.

I'm sure someone eats the leaves, though. We've had threads about people who eat shrimp shells and cupcake wrappers.
I eat the shrimp shells when I'm having deep-fried salt and pepper shrimp from the Chinese restaurant but that's because the shells are seasoned, you'd be throwing away good taste by not eating the shells.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
The green part is the handle. I don't eat the handle.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I've always eaten store-bought, already-prepared, strawberry chunks and factory-produced artificial strawberry bits. I rarely eat fresh raw strawberries, because they aren't that flavorful.

I guess it's when I'm at the point where I'm trying things out, I realized I never questioned whether doing this is the right thing to do. So, here I am, learning the ropes.
Why would "store bought chunks" be more flavourful than "fresh raw strawberries"?

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Supposed to? It's fruit, there are no rules.

That said, I don't like the leaves, so I don't eat them.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
They don't taste as sweet as I expected. It's too sour-tasting.
It sounds like you're eating out of season, or hydroponically-grown strawberries. Fresh, raw strawberries (especially those grown during the spring/summer) are extremely sweet and delicious.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
you can if you want, its not like its gonna kill you

i compost

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
I eat the small leaves, you can't even taste them. Obviously tear off the big ones.

This I also support without sarcasm or irony. The skin is tart and snappy, and if you have a sweet enough kiwi completely transforms the experience and flavor profile in such I way that I'm never going back to peeling.

For real, it is way more convenient to not have to mess with spoon too.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
we have something like this for pulling out the stem/leaves
8bUXYER.png

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I eat the leaves. It isn't that strange. I like the flavor of the entire package.

And why waste free nutrients?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Random info about strawberries no one asked for:

-The more white/pale area you see around the leaves, the further away from fully ripe the strawberries were when they were picked, so go for ones with as little pale area as possible, and consume them as quickly as you can.
-Smaller strawberries tend to be sweeter than large ones due to the ratio of water held within the fruit meat.
-Quickly rinsing them in water+vinegar before putting them in the fridge makes them keep slightly longer because the surface becomes alkaline.
-Even if you do the little soaking trick to "get the bugs out" of them, you're still eating bugs every time you eat any fruit or veggie because it's nearly impossible not to.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Of course you can, but you're not getting extra nutrients and it's not gonna positively impact taste or consistency/texture. I usually cut the back end off just enough to remove any white as that portion has a slightly different flavor that I don't particularly want. Or I'll grip the leaves and just bite as far back as I can get, which usually gets more fruit than cutting.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They are edible, but taste different. I would not use /eat them at the same time.

They could be used as a herb with other food, like with meat, or as part of a sauce combo

Possibly the best idea would be to dehydrate them, and put them though a coffee grinder, and add the powder to a stew

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Monkeys are pickier than some in this thread:

People eat the leaves? Like... why though.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Is this an American thing? Cuz like, you know, fruit already has natural sugar.

Dipping them in chocolate is fine as an indulgent treat but sugar? Eeeeeek.
It's like the first step to making any fruit into a candied version of itself. As someone else pointed out it's how you get the strawberry, blueberry, raspberry etc drizzle they pour onto things like cheesecake

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I've always eaten store-bought, already-prepared, strawberry chunks and factory-produced artificial strawberry bits. I rarely eat fresh raw strawberries, because they aren't that flavorful.

I guess it's when I'm at the point where I'm trying things out, I realized I never questioned whether doing this is the right thing to do. So, here I am, learning the ropes.

It's possible you just aren't getting good fresh strawberries, but for what it's worth this kind of experience with the whole, natural version of a food is often a strong indicator you need to cut back on the processed food in your diet.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
It's possible you just aren't getting good fresh strawberries, but for what it's worth this kind of experience with the whole, natural version of a food is often a strong indicator you need to cut back on the processed food in your diet.
Indeed. I'm doing my best to start changing my diet since this year's late Spring. I've started going to the gym, and trying to improve my wellbeing, albeit slowly.

This…this is a joke right?

Weekend ERA thread?

Right?

No, it's not a joke. I'm seriously asking this. I'm just trying to change my lifestyle for this 2022 new year's resolution right now.

Nov 4, 2017
They are edible but not very nice.

Also +1 for the kiwi skin gang. The fuzz seems to help thicken up smoothies too. Strawberry, banana, kiwi, yoghurt, milk and ice in a blender is a good time. There's a lot of fiber and nutrients in fruit skins, I always eat the ones I can. I also eat roast pumpkin skins when they're all crispy and delicius. Carrots and potatoes are better skin on too.