• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Still using cash?

• Yes

Votes: 184 18.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 340 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 468 47.2%

• Total voters

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i always try and carry some cash because some places i buy food from charge to use a debit card.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
I'd say 99% of my payments are via paypal or debit card, and I honestly can't remember the last time I paid for something with cash.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I keep a little bit of cash in my wallet, because it's come in handy before (say a tow truck or a hand out or whatever).

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've used cash twice since March, and only because those food vendors were (stupidly) cash-only. Everything else has been tap-to-pay.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
I can't remember the last time I had cash in my wallet, or the last time I paid for anything with cash. I use a debit card for just about everything, and a credit card for the occasional larger purchase.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
When I'm in Japan I use cash most of the time (Suica for trains and some convenience store things), though it's getting more digital payment/card friendly.
In the states I'm 100% debit/credit card unless I'm buying weed (legally lol), which I haven't done in quite a while anyway.

resonance

Oct 28, 2017
I use cash at my local farmer's markets; a few vendors have Square for taking credit, but most are still cash-only.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I carry 50-100 bucks in cash on me in case of an emergency but honestly I usually forget it's even in there. Sometimes I'll have the same cash on me for four or five months without even using it.

That said at work over half of our sales are still with cash, so someone uses it..

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I pay by credit card for everything, but I always keep $100 in my wallet just in case the POS terminals go down somewhere I want to buy something.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Yeah, germany is still very cash heavy. I think it's really only us and Japan and some other countries that still depend on cash so much. It's changing though especially due to covid.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I keep a bit on me but I don't wind up using it more than a couple times a year lately, and in the few cases I do it's almost always for tips.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
I use Samsung Pay whenever I can, especially since I bought a Samsung watch. If the place doesn't offer it, I carry some cash to pay. I try to stay as digital and touchless as possible.

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
I live in Germany, so this is the true hardmode when it comes to paying without cash. I exclusively pay with either Google Pay or if that's not supported I use my debit card via NFC. If both of those are not accepted (which is VERY likely in Germany), I'll not make a purchase at said establishment.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Not if I can help it, but some places are still stubbornly sticking to cash only.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I almost always use my card for whatever but sometimes I just have to have cash on me, mainly for my dealer who won't take venmo or cashapp.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Now that my weed plug takes venmo, I only carry cash for my haircut, getting halal or getting tacos. Otherwise, it's all credit cards/phone.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
There's still some stores who charge more of you spend <10 if you use a card so I bring cash with me when I know I'm going there.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I only use cash when a business ask to do so, I feel like Debit and Credit are cleaner to handle during the pandemic. I also prefer not to carry cash, I can track my spending easier using a card and I can carry less when its my phone, my ID + a CC.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I never actively look to use cash. But sometimes I get paid in cash for some things, like renting my parking space since I don't use it. I'm not using cash during the pandemic though, so it's pretty much lost money until I go deposit

For illegal stuff? Yes.
For literally everything else? No.

You not gonna snitch on me now are you op?

Did you just admit to a crime?

That's a classic

TheGrue

Oct 25, 2017
Stopped using cash like 20 years ago. Back then I might have to use it here or there but I basically had some for an emergency that I would never use. Now I don't even carry the emergency cash.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I live in a major US city and about 1/3 of small businesses and take out places are cash only or have a $10 minimum. I use cash to support those businesses and tip cash to service workers when possible even if I'm paying the bill using credit card. For big businesses I always use credit.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Only when certain places require cash only. Other than that, I mostly use Samsung Pay (both MST & NFC) as well as using contactless debit cards to pay for everything (& by using "Credit" over "Debit" when available).

I also use something like Cash App to pay everyone & certain apps to pay bills, etc.

In person purchases?

Cash 0%

Card 80%

Phone 20%

I don't go to that many stores and the ones I do don't accept Google Pay. I think every major grocery store or Dept. store like Walmart or Target also don't accept it. It would be nice to go contactless but they either want to use their own proprietary system or none at all šŸ˜’

If you have a Samsung Phone, you can get around that using Samsung Pay due to it having MST.

Samsung Pay is a godsend.

Oh, yeah; Definitely!

Last edited:

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't used cash in years I think. I still have twenty bucks from like 2018 in my wallet.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I've had a $50 bill sitting in my wallet for months now. Couple of days ago, I opened it up for some reason and was like, "huh...kinda forgot about that". lol not sure if I should be happy about that.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
One of my local retro game stores that I believe is a money laundering front only accepts cash, so any time I stop by there and buy something it's with cash. Otherwise, I only ever use cash when giving tips or sending my brother into the gas station store when getting gas to buy me a Pepsi