• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Still using cash?

• Yes

Votes: 184 18.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 340 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 468 47.2%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
I've had the same six bucks in my wallet since like January, so no.
I'd rather use a credit card (that I pay off in full every month) to get rewards.

Oct 25, 2017
I carry $100 on me in case I'm somewhere and card machines go down when I need fuel and a meal. Otherwise I've been card only for the last 15+ years

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still use it, as I need it for a few things that don't accept credit/debt cards. But it's not my primary means of payment anymore.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using a contactless credit card for 95% of payments since about 2016. Before then I'd use card via chip & pin for most things still, but cash for fast food as it was a faff to type in my pin to pay for that kind of thing when there's people queuing behind you.
Haven't used cash primarily since 2003, as that's when signing for card payments (which I hated doing as I normally was carrying a ton of stuff) was dying out and chip & pin came in here.

I always keep some cash in my wallet in case I need a taxi or a tip or something. Don't want to use cards for that.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
grandma always said to have some cash for some emergency, even if the emergency is to give some to the robber

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Barely, but I do keep some cash on me for places that don't accept card etc.

I think I actually have more foreign currency in my wallet than local currency.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm like 90% credit card. I like to visit a lot of mom and pop restaurants for take out that don't accept credit cards though, and for those I make sure to always keep cash on hand.

No reason not to charge on a card whenever possible, rewards cash back is free money. I've been saving my rewards for almost 2 years now and it's basically going to pay for my PS5 almost completely.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
My debit card is literally only used to pull out cash for weed or to use at scummy gas stations that charge .10 more per gallon if you use a credit card.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly since they upped the tap-limit in Canada to $200 per transaction, I'm not even using my cards for much at all. It's 99% Apple Pay.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I pretty much only spend cash when I travel or if I'm going somewhere that only takes cash. I used to only have cash before when going out with a group to make splitting things easier, but with Venmo that is a non issue nowadays.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
In person purchases?

Cash 0%
Card 80%
Phone 20%

I don't go to that many stores and the ones I do don't accept Google Pay. I think every major grocery store or Dept. store like Walmart or Target also don't accept it. It would be nice to go contactless but they either want to use their own proprietary system or none at all 😒

GeometryHead

Oct 27, 2017
No. I haven't used cash in so long that I don't even know what the current bills looks like, after they received a makeover a few years ago.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I was practically cash everything below €60, which helped me manage my money better. But with the rona still going strong, I might have payed cash maybe once or twice. I do plan on going back to cash.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
There's still a good number of places only accepting cash around here. Mostly stuff like bakeries and the like. Although Covid has definitely accelerated some places adopting card payment.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Nope. Last time I used cash was maybe 2 years ago when I bought something from a friend. Last time I used cash in a store was in 2016 when I went to Japan. Generally, if a store is cash only, I'll just go somewhere else.

Hattoto

Jun 26, 2020
I hate carrying cash. At least with card purchases you can contest suspicious activity and have your funds returned. With cash, once it's gone it's gone.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Had to use cash to buy some dumplings from a street food stand last week.

Used card contactless payments for literally everything else and chip and pin for transactions above the limit but that's been before the coronavirus too.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'd like to be mostly cash, but with the pandemic and most ordering online I primarily use my credit card.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Hell naw, we in 2020. I've been forced to carry singles for my trips into New Hampshire though for tolls.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I recently tipped a cargo freight driver for helping us unload a very large shipment, and then a few days later bought a burrito at a food truck that only accepts cash.

I dunno. Obviously it's not that common but it's still useful. I try to keep some on hand just in case.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Only for places that require cash like the barber and some restaurants.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Always got a little cash in my wallet and it pretty much stays in there, use my card or Apple Pay whenever I can.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Rarely. If I go out I tend to put coin in my pocket just in case. But I avoid it on the whole. Other than the fact it's a pain to carry around and fiddle on with, it's very dirty. Especially in this day and age.

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Quite a bit still yeah, there's quite a few places here that are either more convenient with cash or are outright cash only. I use card whenever I can though.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Only haircuts and specific businesses--mom and pop restaurants. I absolutely hate cash.

One of my pet peeves when visiting Japan lol.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Before C19 I was using it for certain restaurants, coffee shops, and my barber. These are the types of places in my city that only take cash. Most other places I use my bank CC via Apple Wallet.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
No, but we need cash to keep existing. Otherwise, central banks can will impose NIRP to force people to spend their savings to help the economy.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Right now, no. Any cash I get gets sanitized and immediately put into my bank account. The vast majority of my purchases are done via Samsung Pay. The only time I actually use my card is if I have to hand someone my card.

Last year I was regularly using cash.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like every other person in the dmv area uses cash. Here I'm using a debit card most of the time.