• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you spending more, less, or about the same on video games as you did 4 years ago?

• Much more

Votes: 108 12.2%
  • More

Votes: 150 17.0%
  • About the same

Votes: 195 22.1%
  • Less

Votes: 234 26.5%
  • Much less

Votes: 197 22.3%

• Total voters

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Attention is definitely divided now that I'm into more hobbies and other life obligations. I don't think I'll play as much as I used to.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
I was dead certain my answer would be "Less", even though I've devoted so much more time to gaming than usual. It feels like there hasn't been nearly as much coming out this year that's caught my eye, and much of the time I've spent gaming has been clearing out my backlog, revisiting old favorites, and digging into GamePass.

But since I'm weird enough to track my gaming expenditures by month, I compared the first 8 months of 2016 with the first 8 months of this year. If I hadn't stocked up on GamePass and PS+ a couple months back, they would've been almost identical. I'm very surprised.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I started gaming again in late 2018 after finally buying a PS4. Before that I probably didn't play a single game for around 4 years so yeah my spendings have gone up, but I'm not spending a lot at all. Since buying the PS4 I probably spent ~$200 on games.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
More, definitely much more since I got a job last year that basically tripled the salary I received at the time.
Just less than 2 weeks ago I spent like $300 on Switch stuff and in the last few months I've gotten a new fightstick, PSVR and some more stuff.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More responsibilities, getting older, video games I still follow just as much but the idea of sinking in so many hours when there are other real world issues I can take care of, it's just not the same

I love gaming, but at the end of the day you gain nothing from it but just entertainment

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
I make significantly more now than I did then, so I spend more. I had to set myself to a budget to keep my gaming spending in check once I got a Switch.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I frequently play GAAS games these days like Path of Exile, Warframe, and EGS is giving away so many games. Also I hardly finish my old bought games with no idea if I ever will. I pre-ordered Marvel's Avengers early this month, and later got it free from the Verizon thing so I canceled it and got my money back out of Steam (thankfully they allow you to get it back, not just put it in your Steam wallet).

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I voted more but Idk. It's probably closer to the same, maybe less this year. I think I kinda peaked like 8-6 years ago, when I first got into PC gaming and when crazy with sales and I just bought a lot in general. It's probably been relatively consistent since like 2015, with higher highs in 2017-18.

The funny thing is I'm going to be making way more money than I ever have before but I'm not buying either next-gen console just because I straight up don't want to own either of them yet, until they have exclusives I really care about. Teenage me would be so ashamed. My income basically has no impact on how much money I spend on games.

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Less, have a better job, but trying to save up for a house and other things have cut down on me gaming. I also just do not have a lot more time nowadays.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
More.

-More disposable income compared to 4 years ago

-Building a gaming PC last year has opened me up to Steam sales and replaying classic games on PC

anlino

Jun 22, 2020
Sweden
Less, in large part thanks to Game Pass. I also think that the generation coming towards an end has had an effect, with plenty of cheap games piling up in my backlog.

Although I'm soon becoming a PC owner for the first time in ten years, and with new consoles out soon as well... This is probably just the calm before the storm.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
About the same, I only buy a few full priced games at most a year and still probably averages out to the same. I have most games I want at this point though, so buying less on sales.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Good question. I don't really follow sales as much, but that could either lead to me spending more or less (i.e. only buying games I actually want in the first place). I also gave up on caring even the slightest bit about collector's editions, but I've been playing a subscription MMO again off and on.

I'm gonna guess I spend slightly more on average.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Same. A few story games, Sony's + third-party. Yearly CoD, maybe another FPS like battlefield. And 1 or 2 indie games that surprisingly look good.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Less. Mostly because I've been playing less games. Not less overall gaming, but just less different games.

I've been spending more time playing multiplayer games on PC, which tend to have long life spans, leading me to buy less new games. Games such as CSGO, Overwatch, and now Valorant. Those three games have been about 80% of my gaming this year.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
More on hardware because I got into PC & VR more.

Less on games because I stopped letting FOMO get to me so now I just buy the stuff I really want. Gamepass is amazing for letting me try before I buy.

Magni

My habits haven't changed much in 4 years, but I spend a lot less than I did a decade ago.

More for sure since I graduated college, unfortunately I have much less time to play them now.

For me it's the opposite. I bought a ton of games (and at full price, 70€ or more for the most part) in high school and college despite not having any income other than pocket money at first and then my student loan later... Now I'm making essentially infinitely more money and spending way less. I barely buy new games, and when I do, it's usually at a heavy discount. I've accumulated enough of a backlog over the years, and I'm often more into older games rather than the latest craze.

I just finished BG&E, which I got for free years ago with XBL Gold. Before that it was Mirror's Edge, which I'd purchased in 2010 and never properly finished. The other games I currently going through are Far Cry 3 (1st playthtough, bought for $3) and Halo: Reach (nth playthrough, first on XBO though, bought for $10). I'm also playing Pokémon White on my old DS (bought the game a decade ago imported from Japan, gave up on it after just one badge, since the games had released in the West by then 🤦‍♂️ replaying it now that I can actually speak Japanese for the most part).

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Less Overall, YoY:

2017 - $2879.60 (tbf, this was a Switch, New 3ds and expensive Colllector's Edtion's Year)
2018 - $1442.90
2019 - $1606.63
2020 - $1332.69 (This includes some preorders that aren't out yet.)

Overall, way less spending as I migrated 95% from Console to PC.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I've been spending a lot more on hardware and accessories than I did on software four years ago. Now that there's so many damn games out for free(Apex Legends, Hyperscape), so many games I can put time into without spending much (Destiny 2), and GamePass, there's not much need to spend any money on software, and I'm instead spending the money on playing the games the best way they can be played.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Much more. Entire credit goes to Game Pass. Can't praise it enough honestly.

EDIT: I misread the post, I thought it was asking if you're spending more TIME with games... oops...

Tetryl

Oct 25, 2017
Less. I only buy the stuff I really want now. Spend the rest of my time playing whatever's on Game Pass.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I'm buying about the same games, maybe a few less, spending less cause I'm getting away from collectors editions with stuff I never use or enjoy.

I'm trying to buy less game and play the ones I have or only buy them when they are on sale or much cheaper. Since no point in paying full price and not playing them for a year or years.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Less. For starters I have come to the conclusion that I really only play about a dozen games a year and even then it's basically Destiny, new releases and whatever I played on the Switch on my commute. GamePass has eased the pressure to buy games right away. So as such, I stopped buying games to add to backlog just because they are on sale or hit a sweet price point. If I don't intent to play something right away I have no qualms waiting which is a massive change for me.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
Much less. I used to buy a lot of games in offer (lots of Humble Bundles too) so I have 500+ games in Steam, now I just buy something if I'm really sure I'm going to play it (or if it's free).
Most of my time is used in my indiedev career but when I play I usually stick to the same games. I keep returning to Total War Warhammer 2.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Significantly less because there's way less games coming out that I'm interested in.

The last game that I was truly excited for was shenmue 3.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Way less. I'll play sometimes at night or on the weekends with my SO but yeah. Used to play for a few hours every day in high school/college.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Less for sure. Many games I'm playing now are on streaming services.

Oct 25, 2017
Dramatically less. Thankfully I still have a ton of games in my backlog, and it doesn't stop growing due to great games being given away for free, super cheap (Twitch Prime has some incredible months) or Game Pass allowing me to "rent" some great titles for $1.

So there's no shortage of things to play, even though I have less money.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Far less, because my other hobbies have eclipsed gaming, and my tastes have dramatically narrowed to exclude 95% of major AAA releases, and I mostly play either long term games (FFXIV, Animal Crossing), or smaller arcade style releases. And those I mostly wait for sales on to make me buy.

The only game that's really on my radar at the moment is finally getting around to buying Esp Ra De.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Way more because disposable income and what feels like permanent WFH...
Otherwise I probably would be on par for a normal year

Oct 27, 2017
Much, muuuuuuch less.

The end of programs such as Prime 20% off discounts, Best Buy's Gamer's Club Unlocked, and Gamestop's Elite Pro Membership, have given me less and less reason to buy video games the day they come out.

Not to mention that I feel like this generation peaked with 2017 and gradually had less and less interesting releases with every subsequent year.

This year the only game I bought at full price was Sakura Wars. I picked up Street Fighter V Championship Edition for $30 too. And I don't think I will be purchasing anything else for the rest of the year at this point...

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I voted about the same, in terms of the amount of games I actually get...
But then I realised I had yet to go cold turkey on microtransactions until around 2 years ago, so in reality it's a hell of a lot less.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I'd say less right now. I feel like there hasn't been a lot of big Switch games this year, and I'm using the time to whittle away at my backlog a little bit since there's not much else to do right now. I'd also say not living with someone who has a PS4 has also reduced the temptation to build up a sizable backlog on that platform and I'd given up on Steam sales and bundles years ago for PC.

Really the big thing is finally just learning to accept that FOMO is real and to just be willing to let things slide.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I'm buying less games technically, but probably spending near the same amount due to LRG, SRG, etc. Their game releases understandably don't get any cheaper over time! I'm definitely more mindful about every purchase, though, and don't buy games just because they're on sale like I used to -- I try to consider when I'll have the time to play the game, and if it won't be for a few months, I won't buy it, and wait for the next sale.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
More I reckon. If I recall correctly, in 2016 I only bought Overwatch, Uncharted 4 and then Alien Isolation, Bloodborne DLC and Until Dawn. Got those last three for less than 25 USD thanks to a sale. I also bought a N3DS with Majora's Mask on Black Friday but that was it.

The last three years though I have spend a lot more in part because the heavy hitters arrived to the PS4 and also I bought a Switch. I suspect 2020 will be the peak of my spending since I'm building a PC and also getting a XSX or Lockhart on launch.

Next year I intend to survive only on Gamepass and my favorite GaaS games (Destiny 2, Warzone, Overwatch, FIFA) and only spend money on games I really really want to play since I want to buy a SUV for my wife to be. So far on that list is BOTW 2 if it releases next year and...that's it. I hope Demon's Souls is this year so I allow myself to buy it, lol.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of 2017 where I'm sure I spent a lot more than usual (because of the bumper crop of great games), I've spent about the same.

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
About the same really...somewhere in the vicinity of 20-30 hours a week. Gaming is my primary hobby and although i'm no longer working and studying full-time (like I was in 2016), I try and spend a lot more time outside and staying active.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
More, I never bought so many day 1 games before this year with FF VII, TLOU II, GOT, Animal Crossing...

JoJoestar

Jan 26, 2018
More since I'm making more money. And since I'm a teacher, summer time is like being a kid again. My GF moved in recently though and she doesn't like me playing my videogames much