• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
The TLDR: The game is a online coop FPS, ala L4D/Payday/Vermintide, but with a mix of mining in procedural, destructible levels ala Minecraft. In this case, the horde of enemies aren't zombies or skaven or security forces but alien bugs from a hostile planet.

It's still in Early Access but it's already pretty fully featured, more than some retail $60 games, in fact I would say it will release the 1.0 version in 3 or 4 months. Their updates has been really good in EA. For now it's on PC (Steam) and Xbox One Preview. I guess when it's finished it will also release on ps4?

tumblr_oyoifd8YOg1si4jeeo3_500.gif

Features:

-100% destructible terrain. You can see the destruction is much more granular and of finer detail than any Minecraft clone, in fact a hit of your pickaxe destroy a bigger volume than what it's technically just for gameplay reasons.
-Random procedural missions. Every 30 minutes a new set of missions are generated on the server. Each mission varies in: biome (8 to choose from), mission type (5 types), length, complexity and mutators (special variations, like extra gold or extra enemy fliers for the mission). Apart from the level itself being procedurally generated, of course.
-In addition, you choose the between five levels of difficulty, ranging from the super chill out, more about relaxing while mining, to the try-hard, for veteran players and much more intense. The difficulty levels are also properly scale up in a gradient, there is no big gaps between medium and hard, for example.
I also consider interesting you can see what level of length and complexity the map have, that's a nice detail, sometimes you want something epic, sometimes you want something more on the short side.
-I will add there is a proper difficulty scaling system depending on number of players, the game feels fair with one to four players.
-In fact, if you play alone, you get Bosco, a flying drone you can use and command, helping you mine or even reviving you, with its own mods to buy.
-Social area: you can drink, dance, talk, or play a minigame with your fellow dwarves. Sometimes they sell more expensive drinks in the bar that offer a buff in the next mission.
-Eight types of biomes, which is already twice of what I expected. Each biome, apart of having a unique look, it has unique gameplay effects like heat management in the artic one, earthquakes in the volcanic one, radiation in the radioactive wastes, poisonous ground, slippery ice, rifts that can be opened on the ground, dangerous flora, wind tunnels that push you around, etc. This perhaps is one of my favorite features, it really spices up gameplay and gives more identity to each biome.
-4 different dwarf classes, each with unique weapons and toolset. In the tools, there are ziplines, flare guns, grappling hooks, mechanical drill, platform launchers, and they provide the teamwork needed to go to hard to reach areas, for example the engineer can create impromptu platforms in the ceiling where hard to reach minerals are and the scout can use a hook to reach it and mine the objective.
-Mining game: not only you have to mine for several objectives, you also mine for gold (extra money), things like ammo and health are also obtained the same way, there is a red rock called red sugar that refill your health directly and another one called nitrite that you can spend in-mission to call for an ammo replenishment pod. In reality, except the last two difficulties maybe, it's a more chill game
-Enemy variety. There are more than 25 different enemies. While most are variations of the same idea (spider/alien bug thingie, or flying insect thingie, with only a few more unique ones), in total there is good variety: There are ones that jump at you, others that explode when they die (except if you headshot them), others have armor parts that can be removed, others have weak points in specific locations, others fly around, other throw spiderwebs that impede your vision and slow you. One flier can grab you and throw you around after a undesired trip :(. There are immobile broods that spawn enemies, cave leechs that grab you like the famous Half Life barnacle, and others throw projectiles that can be shot down.
-Fully featured server browser, with quick join, hosting public or private games, password option, or solo mode.
-Very good performance. It's nice to play a game at 150 fps :P.

hpX8y0H.gif

There is a full progression system, too:
-You have a series of milestones to complete, they give you perks, and there are different tiers of perks.
-As you gain xp, you both increase your account rank (which is a requisite to unlock some things) and your class level individually.
-There is an assignment system that consist of a series of missions, once completed, you receive an extra reward and unlock some part of the game (like the highest difficulty or the trade market, or alternative weapons). Basically it serves to gate stuff and offer a more streamlined experience to new players, and some intermediate objectives to have.
-There is weekly assignments too like in other similar games.
-Weapons and items have mods to unlock and buy. This is in fact the real way to gain a bit more of power, in comparison with the starting players. As you unlock them, you gain mastery on the weapons, unlocking new skins, in the case of armor, you unlock small hp bonuses.
-Unlocking stuff needs crafting materials, apart from money. You get crafting materials from completing missions, but also inside the missions themselves, you can find a rare resource and mine it.
-Apart from perks, weapons and mods, there is the cosmetic character customization. There are hats, hair (and beard!) styles and colors, armors, etc.
-Finally, there is a character promotion (you reset that class to level 1, like prestige in CoD) and you get a extra perk slot for that class, in exchange.

This is the latest trailer, which features new enemies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyAWOamsv7o

Some of the latest trailers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOFrxQlYlek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDurNPFhaiE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w799d2-oYo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeiVBYjr0ts

Last edited:

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah looks good, been meaning to play it...but there are a million good games vying for my time. I might play it down the road. The market is extremely saturated. Good for consumers, Bad for developers.

OP
OP
Turin Turambar
Oct 26, 2017
Uh, I guess I should add one thing, the game price is going to increase. I got it in the free weekend past month, as it was on offer, right now the price is 23€ (or whatever amount in $), and it will increase to $29.99/€27.99€/£24.99 on March 28th.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
-I will add there is a proper difficulty scaling system depending on number of players, the game feels fair with one to four players.
-In fact, if you play alone, you get Bosco, a flying drone you can use and command, helping you mine or even reviving you, with its own mods to buy.
Hmmm, this may have actually sold me. I'm down for multiplayer, but a good chunk of my time gaming is solo, so knowing it's viable here is great news. Is it actually any fun though?

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i have it on my wishlist but i'm not buying unless i can get a few friends in on it with me

even then i'm not sure, my vermintide 2 group stopping playing pretty quickly and left me high and dry

OP
OP
Turin Turambar
Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm, this may have actually sold me. I'm down for multiplayer, but a good chunk of my time gaming is solo, so knowing it's viable here is great news. Is it actually any fun though?

That's the question, right? YMMV, I would say the solo experience is... acceptable, but at the end of the day, the game really shines with more people. There are better games out there for single player experiences.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I played it a fair bit last year, but I've fallen off a tad just because of a lot of other games coming out. I know it's been updated a shitton in a short time, and the team is doing a hell of a job hitting all their roadmap goals. I keep the game installed because I know I'll go back to it any day now...

Corthier

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New England, USA
A friend of mine bought this for me and our group during the holiday sale and it's been pretty fun to play in the off time between releases. Really do need to play it more though.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
Gave it a shot a few months ago w/some friends and didn't enjoy it. I'm not a huge fan of the co-op L4D style games anyway though, and DRG didnt do anything to change that.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty fun. I tried it out with a buddy and we kept wiping on the second tutorial mission, so we're trying to convince the rest of the group to give it a shot.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I played it with friends during free weekend, it was pretty fun.

I wonder, how much actual content is there? Because missions started to repeat pretty quickly, I'm not sure if I want to buy this just to put it down a week later because there's nothing new to do.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Tried it with a friend.

Aside from diablo, procedural/random/no point games just don't do it for me. Convinced a buddy to try it out last year and we refunded within about 30 min

OP
OP
Turin Turambar
Oct 26, 2017
New update coming

> **EXPLOSIVE EXPANSION - UPDATE 24** **NEW FEATURES:**
- Several new and improved grenades added for all classes (3 grenade options for each class, so 12 in total)
- New loading screens
- New End Mission screens
- New Enemy - Naedocyte Breeder and Naedocyte Hatchling
- New Enemy - Q'Ronar Younglings
- New rare Mob - Golden Lootbug
- New rare Mob - Glyphid Hoarder
- New Sentry Gun model
- New Minehead Sentry model
- Temperature HUD display overhaul
- Assignment mission objectives will now display on the Mission map for your teammates
- New terminal for joining Discord in-game
- Late join Drop Pod added
- New modifiable Power Attack for the Pickaxe
- Improved gear stats display in the Equipment Terminal
- Several new enemy and weapon sounds
- Added option to disable Mouse Smoothing
- Added an option to opt Bosco out of solo missions at the Drone Modification Terminal
- New Hoxxes IV model
- Dwarves leaving a game will now drop a resource pouch with any materials they had in their inventory

Grenade list
Gunner: Sticky (start), Incendiary (level 5), Cluster (level 10)
Scout: IFG, Cryo (5), Pheromone Canister (marks players/creatures as targets) (10)
Driller: Impact Axe, HE grenade (5), Neurotoxin Grenade (10)
Engi: L.U.R.E. Grenade (party!), Plasma Burster (4x Shoryukens in a can) (5), Prox Mine (10)

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dumped a dozen or so hours into this game and I really like it. Kind of put it on the shelf a few months ago to wait for the full release. The new update sounds awesome though, when will the game be done?

OP
OP
Turin Turambar
Oct 26, 2017
That's a good question. I don't know. Because they raised the price two months ago, and the roadmap shows that have less pending things, I would say they are finishing up with the Early Access. Maybe at the start of August they will have it done.

XuandeXun

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 16, 2019
I liked what I saw during the free weekend on Steam, but I'm too entrenched on PC LAN and/or shared screen support. As someone who is poor but has saved up over the years enough to get my family of four their own PC devices (Desktop/Laptop/GPD Win), its a hard ask to buy four copies of the same game when there are alternatives that don't.

So I had to view Deep Rock Galactic as a singleplayer game, and I don't really feel like it holds up well enough for my tastes.

I've played it for some time and I think, the last couple of major updates finally made it really compelling in co-op. Though, while it naturally is focused on co-op, it's still a bit too boring in single player. Even L4D has a faint narrative and sense of a journey - Deep Rock has absolutely nothing.

That said it does a lot with a little in terms of establishing a mood and universe that makes the gameplay loop feel atmospheric.

OP
OP
Turin Turambar
Oct 26, 2017
New roadmap post

I think it's worth putting it in easy bullet points to understand it better:

-Next update won't come out until 2-3 months.

-But it will be meaty, introducing the Endgame, a new mode called 'Deep Dive'.
-It's a new weekly event, consisting of a multi-part/multi-biome? mission with 3 objectives. At the end of each objective you climb down with the pod, instead of going up.
-Everyone will play the same mission (although the monster spawn is still random of course) each week.
-You have to complete at least 2 of 3 objectives.
-It won't have selectable difficulties. They say it will be 'hard'. We don't know if that means equivalent to Haz5, or harder.
-You can't select this mode until you promote (level 25) one of the classes at least. And you can't join in progress to Deep dives, with these two factors we already can imagine that it will be more 'serious' than usual.
-Your reward to complete a Deep Dive are batteries.

-Batteries aren't used in Deep Dives, but in normal random missions!
-With batteries, you can power up abandoned machines you will find now sometimes in said missions.
-That will activate 'machine events', that gives an extra goal to the mission, to everyone (even if only one player had the battery and the rest haven't played still Deep Dives). There may be new types of objectives in these events.
-On mission completion, the machine event will get you a blueprint.
-Blueprints has to be crafted with normal resources. They can get you new skins/cosmetic, and new overclocks.
-Overclocks are new weapon mods, more powerful than usual, but with some drawbacks too.
-Overclocks are random, they will have rarity, but you can't obtain one you already had.
-They have planned 100 different overclocks for now.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Sounds sweet. Enjoy this game a lot, even without friends, just in random co op.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I am still sleeping on this game. Noticed that it's on sale on console during E3. Maybe time to bite?

OP
OP
Turin Turambar
Oct 26, 2017
I am still sleeping on this game. Noticed that it's on sale on console during E3. Maybe time to bite?

Content-wise, the game already have 'enough' to not be considered a full game and the experience is already pretty polished, although of course, it's still on EA so it will be even more complete/polished if you wait.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Thinking of buying multiple copies if there's a sale to play with friends.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm definitely planning on picking this up tonight. It looks like a lot of fun, hopefully I can find some friends to play with.

Oct 29, 2017
Oh my god I picked this up over the weekend and haven't been able to put it down. Not sure why it's considered early access still, other than the lack of a real story which I'm fine with, personally. The most fun coop I've had in a long time.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
I want to give it a shot, how is it with randoms in coop?
And is it okay to just play an hour or is there a bigger time investment needed to have fun?

OP
OP
Turin Turambar
Oct 26, 2017
Update 25 is out (on pc, some weeks later on Xbox), it's the first part of the planned Endgame, the Deep Dives which are their version of raids (3 chained missions with special modifiers).
You have more details here:

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Hey Era, are you sleeping on Deep Rock Galactic?!

Update 32 is coming soon and introduces new mechanics and a roller coaster (satisfactory, anyone?)

It's also 30% off on Steam atm if you want to check it out. It's my GOTY so far.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Me and a friend joined a couple of weeks ago. The game is an absolute blast. Great traversal in all directions, tense (mining) missions - especially the escaping part. Although, we got better and more confident at escaping, and most of the time, we keep it rather cool.
I wish that more of my friends would pick it up. "It looks like Minecraft in space ...", they always complain.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought this on Xbox. Would like to find some people to play with. I play late UK time / early afternoon/evening east coast. Drop me a PM and we can exchanfe friend requesrs.