• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Was already concerned for multiple reasons, the virus couldn't have come at a worse time honestly.

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017
OP... half your company's workforce are interns? Is that typical? Holy cow.

Are they paid or unpaid?

I work at a university so no, not really worried. Feels like one of the safer jobs to have right now. Pay isn't great but benefits are.

The university I work at (in the UK) needed to save 2m on wages and was (is) implementing a Mutually Agreed Resignation Scheme (MARS)..... plenty of cash to spend on new buildings tho in the weird way they are funded. So i am nervous about forced unpaid leave or statutory sick pay should we close as I'll be fucked due to rent and debt. I am super scared about passing it on to both my housebound parents, my Dad especially as he has respiratory issues due to alzheimer's and not swallowing food properly so its going to his lungs. I am probobly going to visit them breifly in the next couple of days for the last time until this has blown over because I am working in a front line position and have contact with many people. Gotta try and get my mom using skype on her tablet.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Just got the email a few minutes ago. We are closing down.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
I work at Walmart. I'm trying to get LOA because of my 88-year-old elderly mother that I take care of. Right now, I took the 2- week paid leave they offered. Those crowds are WAY too big right now and it puts my mom at great risk.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more worried about my company's financial health, we support crude oil extracting companies and with the oil barrel so low we are directly affected...so coronavirus is a minor problem for us right now...but i would say that i would be one of the last ones to be released if something catastrofic happen. Sorry to hear about so many fellow members losing their jobs... ):

Last edited:

Vic

Nov 22, 2017
I work in IT and I can mostly work from home. Not sure how the company will be impacted over time tho.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I'm "essential personnel" so even though my company has mandated that employees work from home I still go in. My boss said to only go in 2-3 days a week to do what is absolutely necessary and even though I don't really have much that I can do at home I'll still get paid for full 40 hour weeks so I'm ok with that. I work for a medical college/affiliated hospital so there's really no chance of it going under.

bobby2times

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was an Event Manager working in hospitality and got laid off today due to groups cancelling months out. Had a record 1st quarter and the company still decided they needed to cut costs. All hotels are pretty much on hiring freeze as well so I shit out of luck looking in my field.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
I wont lose my job but as a landlord I've already had several tenants reach out to me about getting cut hours or not being able to make the April 1st rent due to the virus shutting down their gig or office. It wouldn't be an ideal situation for anyone if more and more of my tenants can't make the rent.
You're being flexible, yes?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
My SO's job can be done from home and is vital to what is going on. The odds of them losing their job is nearly 0.
My job will be shut down, and I will be without income from it most likely, but it's non vital income, and I will likely have a job there still assuming I don't get my Boss's boss number to call her up and explain to her that treating this like it's a media hoax is going to get people killed and if she don't shut down soon she rightfully should be called a murderer.... then I might not still have a job... but if the higher ups continue to treat this thing as a media hoax or that we can't shut down because we would lose too many profits, I might not want to return to the CHARITY I work at again.

I know full well that we have operating cash for at least a year, so they could literally close where I work, pay all the employees like normal, and still have plenty of money, but ultimately it would make the number that we gave away smaller at the end of the year to help support people smaller and they would rather let their employees die and infect the people we are helping then have bad optics they have to explain.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I could easily not work and we'd be fine. I am concerned about how things will shake out at my wife's work, though. She is a physical therapist at an independent clinic.

The hospitals around here have cancelled all 65+ patients appointments, so they will probably follow suit. Students just left for spring break, and now classes are moving to online for at least the semester. College students make up their largest cliental, so them leaving is fucking huge. Of what's left, unsurprisingly, people have just been cancelling their appointments like crazy.

She is supposed to get her annual bonus on friday, and has a ton of paid time off. I am just curious how much cash the company has on hand to keep paying employees if their cash flow suddenly grinds to a halt.

A month ago we were saving for a new roof on the house, and then planning to refinance her student loans down to 5 years. Now everything feels frozen.

Jul 26, 2018
I think i will be ok.

I currently work in the restaurant business (Near San Diego). Earlier in the afternoon my boss has informed that we are gonna try to open as much as possible. But just now, it seems like we may shut down either tomorrow or later this week. Some of our hours are already cut due to no customer visits. Today, we only had 4-5 tables from 2:30 to 7 and we closed early at 7 instead of 9. Basically dead.

To me, it's just vacation. The only thing i'm excited is that we have a bunch of food in our walk-in fridge and it's a chance that we may take all of the food in there. I'm gonna try to get all the desserts haha.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I work in IT for higher education, so probably not. I am able to work from home and it was announced today that the entire spring semester will be done online. After this is over we need to migrate some sites to a new version of said software sooooo I hope not? We shall see.

I am worried about the economic fallout from this virus since everything is being like closed down, literally.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
The company I work for laid off everyone last Friday and shutdown until schools reopen. If it ends up only being the 3 weeks that was originally planned, I'm not too worried; if they cancel the remainder of the year, I'm looking at probably 2 months or more, which is kinda scary.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. I work in hospitality, so it's only a "when" the place shuts down, but I doubt anyone full time will lose their jobs once it does. Being laid off/on call will suck utter ass, but once everything regains a semblance of normalcy, I think I'll be fine.

The real question is what society does to keep things afloat long enough for us to reach that normalcy point.

Assuming Las Vegas shuts down entirely. Killing the Strip makes sense, but the rest of the community is pretty spread out since the metro area isn't densely populated. We might be able to skirt by without a total shutdown. And if that happens, then I'll still be going to work since I work off-strip. Reduced hours, sure, but I'll still be going. That's he pipe dream, though.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nope, I work for a University and we are unionized.

I think it must be a very uncertain time for those in the service sector.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
I did just lose my job actually, at least until April 2nd, but I'm sure that's going to last longer. Now I'm just waiting to get the forms from my work to file for unemployment insurance.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I work at gas station so we have to stay open until the world ends. I really hate my job so I hope I'm able to ship out for the Air Force soon but with all this shit I'm not sure that's very realistic.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't, until I realized everything is going to grind to a halt in the next two weeks and my employer(70,000 employees) has no reason of incentive to not start laying people off.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I lost my job shortly before the outbreak. I'm worried about finding a new one during all of this, especially one that doesn't put me in much risk.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Somewhat. My company works for a client and we just lost 1/3 of our staff a week ago for unrelated reasons (behest of client). Morale company-wide had suffered a bit after that announcement so it's going to be rough if anything additional happens...

I interviewed for a new, integral role within the company last week so fingers crossed for good news and better security.

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
Yeah, the cities nearby have forced all restaurants into being carry out only, so when we eventually close, my job position will be unnecessary.

I'm not sure how any of this works, but it seems like my best hope is to get laid off and collect unemployment until we re-open? But not sure how that works, nor if I get it, since a LOT of people will be wanting to collect Unemployment .

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
As a developer in a tiny company, not at all. Working from home, client meetings over the phone or skype, everything's gucci.
Thoughts and prayers to those in danger. Shit sucks real bad.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I work in IT making applications for hospitals. I can easily work from home if needed.

I feel like my job is pretty safe.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm self employed, my wife is social worker. I'm lucky that I have around 12 months of savings based on our usual burn (which almost certainly will be massively reduced unless I go on a digital game buying spree) and technically I have income from her flat we couldn't sell which is paid off but I've spoken to the family living there saying that I'm stopping collecting rent for the duration.

I do network consultancy so I've actually been pretty busy helping my clients scale up remote access and vpn solutions so I'll get some income coming in through that for a while. Although again for some of the smaller businesses, I'm not going to charge them for some of the work or offer them massive discounts.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't believe the company I work for will have too many issues financially themselves, they could easily close and reopen again in a few months time, there would just be less growth forecast for them this year (the buildings they already own aren't going anywhere). The biggest problem we face is the logistics of what happens to our customers if they can't access their offices/storage, it would be a nightmare coming back to huge amounts of payments being overdue anyway and that's without the argument of why they should pay for something they couldn't access if we were forced to close the facility.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I work with VOD services so no major risk - in fact last week we were asked to ramp up infrastructure as the clients expect increased usage due to the current situation.

But my wife works for a company supplying restaurants - she is worried if they all dry up orders for a few weeks/months.

kmag good point on the savings - we were just talking about overpaying our mortage but perhaps we should put it all in our emergency fund. Even though we have enough for a reasonable time, this could roll on for a while. If things clear up I can always use that savings as a one-off overpayment.

Vyrance

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I work in a walmart warehouse so no chance of losing job. Been picking up overtime because we trying to keep the stores stocked with everyone buying everything up

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
For all of us already employed in our IT department, our jobs and salary are going to be stable throughout this Covid-19 debacle. WFH/remote working is perfectly doable for most of us. The company froze new-hirings though because proper on-boarding, security processing and mentoring is just not feasible nowadays with the majority of people not coming to work.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Self employed in event management so i'm pretty much fucked for the time being.

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
Yes.

I work on a StartUp, we were about to finish a funding round. Now everyone (investors) decided to hold the money and wait. We are scrambling right now to save money and keep running as long as possible.

Also, we are a FinTech, and the stock market is melting.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a temp admin worker for a London charity, they like me but obviously I can't come in and do the work they pay me to do. They said they'll be able to cover a week or so and in other circumstances things would be going swimmingly.

I'll have to think of something else to do over the next few weeks, I doubt interviews and starting new jobs will be on the cards.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
My wife's in a weird spot all of the sudden:

She just started a new job in a doctor's office a couple weeks ago, being hired to replace someone who is set to leave and move across the country for another job next week. The twist? Today, the guy leaving pulled his notice of resignation and decided to stay "for the foreseeable future" because that other job more or less rescinded their offer due to uncertainty around the COVID-19 situation. She's now been told that the position she was hired for and has been training for the last couple weeks is no longer available, but that they supposedly would like to keep her on and find another spot for her.

So... we'll see what happens there, I guess.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
My wife's in a weird spot all of the sudden:

She just started a new job in a doctor's office a couple weeks ago, being hired to replace someone who is set to leave and move across the country for another job next week. The twist? Today, the guy leaving pulled his notice of resignation and decided to stay "for the foreseeable future" because that other job more or less rescinded their offer due to uncertainty around the COVID-19 situation. She's now been told that the position she was hired for and has been training for the last couple weeks is no longer available, but that they supposedly would like to keep her on and find another spot for her.

So... we'll see what happens there, I guess.

That sucks, though I'm in kinda a similar boat. I was actively looking for another job... but now I'm likely going to pull out of job hunting because the market is super unstable and my current job is super secure (cpa firm).

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks, though I'm in kinda a similar boat. I was actively looking for another job... but now I'm likely going to pull out of job hunting because the market is super unstable and my current job is super secure (cpa firm).

Yeah, I feel for the dude as well. Not easy for anybody right now, or moving forward.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
I work in compliance in a financial institution. The bank just cut a lot of jobs, but is hiring in the compliance department. Am I afraid of losing my job? Of course, but I think ifs unlikely. My SO works on an insurance board, she is also not likely to lose her job.

In time like these, it's always the low wage workers and hour-paid workers that get hit first and hardest.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Not scared. I'm an IT field technician so many times my interaction with people are an uncommon part of the job. Sometimes I don't even meet my point of contact. If anything I expect to get more work as many establishments closes down. It's the perfect time to repair/upgrade/tinker with your main data room, office computer or credit card pin pad.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I work for a very small English school in Japan. People are (rightfully) avoiding going out and doing things including going to our classes, which is affecting our business. Also given the nature of our location (Hokkaido; the region with the most confirmed infections), our governor has been giving us weekly cues on whether its safe to go out, or whether certain businesses should open or close. As a result, we've remained closed for a total of 3 weeks already, and were maybe open a total of 3 days this month.

While I don't think Japan has been handling the situation the best, I at least feel safe with the healthcare system here. I have national healthcare, and my town has a very robust healthcare system compared to the small Alabama town I hail from. But if we had to close down the school, I would potentially have to leave Japan and return to Alabama, which means losing my job, losing my insurance, and being put into harms way, all the while having my fate put in the hands of an underdeveloped healthcare system.

I have a lot to lose if we shut down permanently, so I've been talking with my boss about ways we could do online classes, remain open but do regular health checks with students and employees, and I've even deferred half my salary this month so we can keep things running. Honestly at this point, I'm willing to put my health on the line to protect our school, because I love my job enough that I want to keep doing it, and I'm fucked either way if we go out of business.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
I work for a semiconductor manufacturing company. I think I'm fairly safe, but things are going to be grim for the tech industry on some level. Consumer confidence is going to crater and people are going to put off buying new electronics because they won't have disposable income like they used to for several months.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
My new work can entirely be done from home. The problem is I need training, and company director has mandated WFH from March 18th which is tomm. Which means I won't be trained and as such I'll basically be doing nothing.

While it's nice that I get paid to sit at home, I don't think the company will be happy with it for long and I am wondering it that'd lead to terminating my employment if this goes for long. Especially in the first 6 months the company can terminate it with just 7 days of notice.