• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Lose it permanently? No. Job closing temporarily? Yeah. Business is already down 50% and relies on big crowds. Government or the higher ups hasn't told us to shutdown yet.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
My job already had a system in place for WFH so they're expanding it to all of Us for the time being.

This will get interesting because when you work from home, and you catch it like I may have, when do you keep working while ill and when do you stop.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I'm going to be making the most money I have all year thanks to all the overtime at my grocery job. Hopefully that'll help when my ass is inevitable infected.

People like us proving essential services should absolutely get free treatment for Coronavirus. We're going to be fucked in the near future and everyone will have meltdowns when the grocery stores have nothing because we're all deathly sick.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of already have. I'm in a transitional period and I've taken up ridesharing full time. Atlanta is getting quieter and quieter to the point to where I'm really not sure if I'm gonna be able to get steady income from it anymore. Really sucks as since I'm not officially employed, I can't get any potential time off benefits either.

Luckily my fiancé's job is going strong with her working from home, but we could be looking at some tough times coming up.

DGrade

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Well Washington state just announced a shutdown of bars, restaurants, entertainment and recreational facilities...

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
No, our entire company can basically wfh, and to be honest, I would even say that our company could probably benefit from everyone throughout the world is staying home.

I personally am at office right now and will probably not spend all the 14 days working from home, we will see. Just happy and fortunate that I have the possibility to do so.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Well I used to work as a Barista but left my place recently on my own accord because it was run terribly. I was looking for more work, but I really do not want to be in that environment again right now. I have alot of money saved so not in a bad situation on that aspect. I am studying a online course to work teaching online so I might aim towards that as its much safer right now.

If I was still there I can safely say people will be loosing their jobs / significantly getting less hours.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
No. I teach at a juvenile detention center and my boss thus far has been extremely effective at fighting for our rights as workers. He vouched for us recently and ensured that, despite us being off until April 20th (!!!), we will be paid that entire duration.

Fucking crazy times. I guess I gotta get some tutoring time in and catch up on some video games.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
I've got a teleconference meeting with all the teachers and my boss of the language school where I work in about three hours. I guess I'll find out then if we're staying open and looking for online methods to continue teaching our students or shutting down. With my girlfriend now not working either, I'm really worried.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I work in news media, so I guess my job is pretty safe as people want ever more information about the virus. Catastrophe and crisis are good for the media sector.

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I work grocery retail. Job security is pretty tight right now with the hordes of panic buyers and the company willing to pay anyone overtime to come in and help.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I work in a restaurant. Things are getting quiet but I'm a full time employee so it'll be others losing hours before I do.
If we have to close for a bit then I'll use up my annual leave, but I have enough savings to not be worried anyway.

TheHyde

Oct 29, 2017
I was just informed by a co-worker that all three of her kids had lost their jobs. Two worked in travel industry, one in hospitality. In all cases due to the companies closing. It is starting to hit hard...

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
I work in IT for a company that does food safety testing among other things, the CEO sent an email around saying not to worry, food will always need testing. Not if there's not any food though, one of my co-workers joked... The site I work at lost a lot of expensive lab equipment in a fire recently so we've had to lay off 20 people, so if business does go down hill, we're not in a great position really.

Oct 26, 2017
My organization just had a large layoff round on Thursday. Awful timing.

Being in a big company this threat is ever present, even more so now.

DeepBlueDay

Jan 10, 2020
No, i'm not. My company is in a kinda good position i guess ( we mostly work with factory cars and enhance them for the german army, police, ambulances , etc. ) And even if i lost my job , that's nothing to be actually "scared" about ? Life will go on, a new job will be found etc.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
im like... 80% sure my job is safe for now. we have a season shut down coming up next month and my position is kind of indispensable so im mostly worried about shutting down early and not having wages for those three or four weeks. i have PTO i could use to float me and they obviously wont fight unemployment claims, but its definitely not enough.

ive been looking into picking up a second job even before this all went down, and im gonna start applying today or tomorrow. theres a grocery store in town that definitely needs help, and houskeeping/janitorial/maintenance work, so that might help too.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My hours got cut badly so maybe l. I don't know unemployment works, would I be eligible for it if I got cut for this?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to think the firm is safe but you never know what our economy will look like in a few months time.

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. In the service industry at a cafe/restaurant. The state today is going takeout only. Not sure we'll stay open past this week.

I just spoke with my manager. My shifts are gone this week. I may be laid off later today. I'll probably be hired back. I'll be filing for unemployment by tomorrow I assume.

Also I started coughing a bunch today and you can't help but loose your damn mind about it even if it's nothing.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
Well, it's official. Just lost my teaching job. The owner of our school decided not to use online classes, so at least until we reopen, I'm outta work. That might be before the summer, but even he doubts it, so I'm looking at no income until September. Great...

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Work in a restaurant (uk) I feel like any day now we will get the message to shut down.

haven't seen a decline in customers though.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
No, my company is in the process of giving everyone the necessary credentials for vpns and such so that we can work from home.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
No because everything is just on hold for me. When this is all over I'll be fine (but it will take a while).

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My brother owns a small business and he had a quiet day, few other business owners came round and were chatting about what they going to do if shit hits the fan. Rent, rates, utilities, income etc. Nobody knows except not pay but presume as usual they have no soul to be kind to business so what are the government going to do?

Freeze the economy for certain sectors, you get charged nothing while not operating or the drop off is so substancial you might as well not be so you should still get charged nothing

I really don't know, he is stressing about it but all I could say was that, hope and you are in the sameness basket as many thousands of others.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Went to work this morning and everyone was sent to work from home.

The common sentiment was "hopefully we see each other again"

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
No, my job deals with making/supporting knowledge solutions for our companies contracts.

I'm 100% work from home and our team is only 3 people total.

Dec 13, 2017
Short term? No. All job functions can be done remotely and I work from home about once a week anyway.
Medium term? Yes. I figured our Wall Street Overlords will demand more blood for the Blood God and the CEOs will proceed with ceremoniously decapitating those which work for a living instead of taking a quarter or two at the current Op-Ex rates. Business wise I can only see this scenario as a potential for even more growth for the company. I'm expensive relative to everyone else so there's a target on my back.
Long term? No.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My company is now officially fucked now that uk govt is telling literally everyone to stay away from pubs, restaurants, cinemas and basically.anywhere you're likely to be around pretty much any other humans.

It's crazy.

I have £1000 in just mortgage bills to pay in a couple weeks that's already hard to pay for. No idea how I'm paying for it but I might be working somewhere new by end of March.

Its also annoying as fuck that they wont mandate it so they womt need to take responsibility for the consequences, I.e business and families going under.

Last edited:

Fenrick

Oct 27, 2017
Kent\Covington, WA
I dont expect I'll be impacted to much. I work as a construction manager for a telecom company, and mostly work solo. Most of the field crews we run are 2-3 people per site affairs so we dont tend to run in big groups anyway.

Work volume has mostly stayed the same, and in fact a few projects that required digging in customer parking lots got pushed up since many sites have little to no one in some of them, making concrete cuts easier for a time.

I'm mostly worried about the knock on effect to the economy in general, if businesses cant afford new service builds, that will hurt us. But I expect that will hit later in the year if things get bad/worse.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
With NY and NJ closing bars and resturants it's only a matter of time before CT does it....Sucks as the owner was ready to take a financial hit to keep us working from meeting with our bosses; it's for the best but...damn...

My landlord it pretty understanding the last time some personal emergencies kept me from paying rent so I'm sure he'll also take in account this pandemic.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
I wrote an email to my staff on the weekend explaining how their jobs are all safe. People will keep playing videogames, and we can keep the machine running sufficiently even if the majority of the company is working from home.

I have a lot of friends in hospitality that won't be so fortunate (NZ hasn't shut down restaurants/bars yet, but may in the next week or so).

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I'm concerned. We're a non-profit with an incredibly small budget. Today the courts told us we won't get any more cases until April at the earliest. That's our only reliable revenue stream. I don't think my employer can afford to pay us without it. I feel like I have absolutely no job security at the moment.

teseR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finished my Masters Degree a month ago. I guess job hunting will take a fucking while. Balls.

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully my job can easily be done from home, so no.
Plus I do have other options open, so I'm pretty safe and I'm eternally grateful for that.