• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Were you happy with how the story of the White Walkers and the Night King ended?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
Dont know if this has been posted before but after watching it I'd change my answer from no to yes.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
After sitting on for a while, the white walkers getting annihilated in a single episode with only three episodes left is really the worst way this could have played out. Short of some last minute 9th season for a Babylon 5-esque extended epilogue after resolving the existential threat to all life in the series, it's going to make all those episodes talking up the white walkers annoying on a rewatch.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say yes, but with a caveat. For this show that we have, i'm pretty ok with it. I have long stopped expecting good writing or any sort of consistency, and have been enjoying the spectacle and the feels. In that regard, the whole episode and also the ending delivered in spades.

Now, if the show had kept the same quality and world/character consistency from the earlier seasons and this happened, that would be a no.

As it is, i don't think Ninja Arya was out of left field at all.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ending was fine, it was the complete boneheadedness of the rest of the episode that kinda grated on me. It was super fun though.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I'm not going to fight anyone salty about the show as an adaption. I've been there; there's a good chance anyone who's consumed stuff that's been adapted has. It seems like the books have a much smarter story going on and one day I will read them myself to find out.

I think the episode is sensational in terms of spectacle and pace and that the music from Ramin Djawadi and co. is absolutely breathtaking. My satisfaction with the show depends on what happens next.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nnZLvYX.jpg
Amazing

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Incredibly underwhelming result of the most feared and important battle of the whole series.
They slowly built this mysterious threat over 7 fucking seasons and it's all over in a single episode, with basically zero main characters dead. (does anyone really give a shit about Theon or Jorah?)
It seems like ever since they passed the books' plot they go with the usual Hollywood plot armor for important characters which is disappointing.
I'm not saying the defeat of the walkers should've been by a different character than Arya, but I wanted humanity to seem completely hopeless for at least a bit more before they win unusually quickly vs the strongest army in the history of their world.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
Yes, Arya had several seasons being trained up as fighter and an assassin, literally by assassin's who's motto revolved round telling the god of death not today and people are surprised she ended up in this story?
besides i don't think we are done with the larger threat but if we are i'm still happy

Oct 25, 2017
Nope.

Was extremely disappointed with how Jon was handled in that episode, the constant plot armor, and Arya getting the final kill.

Fuck all that.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Arya had several seasons being trained up as fighter and an assassin, literally by assassin's who's motto revolved round telling the god of death not today and people are surprised she ended up in this story?
besides i don't think we are done with the larger threat but if we are i'm still happy

Jon was on the wall. He went north. He faced the night king. He planned everything.

Arya had fuck all to do with anything to the north of the wall.

Why is she the saviour now?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Jon was on the wall. He went north. He faced the night king. He planned everything.

Arya had fuck all to do with anything to the north of the wall.

Why is she the saviour now?

There is no one savior. That's kind of what Jon was going for, after all. He wanted to bring everyone together to face their common threat, and only he was able to do that. Without him nobody would have stood a chance in that battle. Nobody would have had time to do anything, everyone would be dead before Arya could act.

Jon's purpose was to unite people against this threat, and that's what he did. He was never the guy who achieved victory in any battles before, he always relied on others. It was really no different in that episode.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There is no one savior. That's kind of what Jon was going for, after all. He wanted to bring everyone together to face their common threat, and only he was able to do that. Without him nobody would have stood a chance in that battle. Nobody would have had time to do anything, everyone would be dead before Arya could act.

Jon's purpose was to unite people against this threat, and that's what he did. He was never the guy who achieved victory in any battles before, he always relied on others. It was really no different in that episode.

He always relied on others is a very generous way to say that he's kind of an idiot and had to be bailed out a lot.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
He ways relied on others is a very generous way to say that he's kind of an idiot and had to be bailed out a lot.

Basically. He's a gifted swordsman, but not a great tactician. His best characteristic is his charisma and his unrelenting drive to bring people together to fight the dead.

It's gonna be interesting to see what drives him now that the threat is gone.

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
I feel like many people have missed how so many character arcs over the whole series were leading directly to this resolution. Copy pasted from the other thread:

The only way to defeat the WWs is to kill the Night King. That leaves 2 ways to resolve the plot line:

1) WWs win and everyone dies.

2) Someone assassinates the Night King.

Assassinating the NK is easier said than done, and required a very specific set of circumstances.

Firstly, you need a bad ass assassin to do the deed. That's the point of Aryas storyline, and all the characters that contributed to it.

Secondly, the assassin needs a weapon capable of killing the NK: that dagger that went through various characters hands, and traveled the length of the continent 3 times over 8 seasons.

Thirdly, you need the bait to draw the NK out. That's the point of Brans storyline, and all the characters that contributed to it.

Finally, you need the NK to feel confident enough that he's won to be willing to take the bait. That required a valiant last stand by "the greatest army the world has ever seen" (or however dani described it), and for that army to lose the battle. Bringing said army together was the work of Dani, Jon and a whole host of other characters over 8 seasons.

This resolution did not come out of no where, it's been built up across multiple plot lines for 8 seasons, impressively so, IMO.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a link to a good summary of wtf is going on with Bran? I must have missed explanations beyond his last episode which just made me have more questions

I do wish Theon had a better death than just running at the NK and dieing. I know he survived the attack and with the bow and arrow but man, what a shitty way to die

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like many people have missed how so many character arcs over the whole series were leading directly to this resolution. Copy pasted from the other thread:

The only way to defeat the WWs is to kill the Night King. That leaves 2 ways to resolve the plot line:

1) WWs win and everyone dies.

2) Someone assassinates the Night King.

Assassinating the NK is easier said than done, and required a very specific set of circumstances.

Firstly, you need a bad ass assassin to do the deed. That's the point of Aryas storyline, and all the characters that contributed to it.

Secondly, the assassin needs a weapon capable of killing the NK: that dagger that went through various characters hands, and traveled the length of the continent 3 times over 8 seasons.

Thirdly, you need the bait to draw the NK out. That's the point of Brans storyline, and all the characters that contributed to it.

Finally, you need the NK to feel confident enough that he's won to be willing to take the bait. That required a valiant last stand by "the greatest army the world has ever seen" (or however dani described it), and for that army to lose the battle. Bringing said army together was the work of Dani, Jon and a whole host of other characters over 8 seasons.

This resolution did not come out of no where, it's been built up across multiple plot lines for 8 seasons, impressively so, IMO.

Yes, I agree vehemently with this post. People keep complaining that it was over so quickly, that the threat seemed overblown, that the buildup was all for nothing, winter barely begun, shit like that.

But the entire show was about how everyone who needed to be at this battle got to this battle. This was the culmination of a whole host of different storylines. Without Jon, none of this happens. Without Dany, Jon's army doesn't stand a chance. Without Sansa, Littlefinger doesn't give the dagger to Bran, who gives it to Arya. Without Bran nobody knows how to defeat this army. Without Berric or Sandor Arya gets killed.

Only a couple characters seemed a bit superfluous for this battle, like Jamie and Brienne. More or less everyone else was led to this battle for the entire show and needed to be here for the living to win. The army of the dead and the NK may not have had as much screen time as people like but they have been one of the main drivers of this show the entire time, and their storyline has been long and compelling, and needed to end at some point.

About nine-tenths of the realm didn't turn up for the fight.

It was still the biggest army the world has ever seen, to quote someone that I can't remember.

Oct 25, 2017

It just feels like a bad conclusion. That's what I think of it. It didn't feel like a conclusion for Jon.

It felt random in the end.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Right, I'm including that though. I'll poke around and see if I can find better explanations than just what it is exactly. I assume we will get more in the lead up to Cersi but I'm missing something

https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthro...lers_the_bran_is_the_lord_of_light_theory_is/

Obviously this is just a theory but I think it's got some merit. I guess we'll see how true it is (hopefully).

It just feels like a bad conclusion. That's what I think of it. It didn't feel like a conclusion for Jon.

It felt random in the end.

I guess that's how you feel then. I thought it was a good conclusion. It summed up his character well, he was never the one to succeed in those big moments.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like the show is on turbo mode tying up loose ends and ending series long threads at ludicrous speed.

Yep, this felt to me like it was D&D's audition for other projects and they succeeded. They're gonna make a new Star Wars trilogy and a new HBO show. They just want GOT to be over and done with now and it feels like it at times.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
It was still the biggest army the world has ever seen, to quote someone that I can't remember.
The show can make up whatever numbers it feels like and that's show canon and whatever. Assuming the Vale was somewhere there in the dark a whole two of the least populous great houses were persuaded to join the fight against zombies attempting to end all human life.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Is it though? Is it bigger than the army that fought the Others the first time?

I mean, that's what was said. I guess it was probably the biggest army seen in modern memory at least.

The show can make up whatever numbers it feels like and that's show canon and whatever. Assuming the Vale was somewhere there in the dark a whole two of the least populous great houses were persuaded to join the fight against zombies attempting to end all human life.

It's more that he brought Danny's army to join the north, which was talked about as being bigger and more powerful than most other armies in the world to begin with.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is it though? Is it bigger than the army that fought the Others the first time?

I mean, that's what was said. I guess it was probably the biggest army seen in modern memory at least.

It's more that he brought Danny's army to join the north, which was talked about as being bigger and more powerful than most other armies in the world to begin with.

I believe the actual term was greatest, not biggest. Now he (Tyrion) could have still meant greatest in terms of size, or greatest in terms of skill, since the Unsullied are brilliant ground troops and Dothraki are crazy good mounted troops.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
I hope they do some flashback (Arya telling a story) to how she was able to sneak past all the white walkers. They handwaved too much between her leaving the castle and then jumping right at the night king.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the actual term was greatest, not biggest. Now he (Tyrion) could have still meant greatest in terms of size, or greatest in terms of skill, since the Unsullied are brilliant ground troops and Dothraki are crazy good mounted troops.

Ah that makes sense too.

Yeah he convinced Dany, a master of unity.

And united the north, whom we are repeatedly told never trust anyone easily. Not to mention the wildlings.

I hope they do some flashback (Arya telling a story) to how she was able to sneak past all the white walkers. They handwaved too much between her leaving the castle and then jumping right at the night king.

I read a theory that the white walkers DID see her, you can even see one glance to the side as she rushes by him. That's how the NK knew she was coming and turned around to catch her. He was told by his WWs, he just assumed he could easily deal with her himself. Overconfidence and all.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why do you need a bad ass assassin to assassinate the superhuman leader of an army of undead? Err... you're right, hot pie would have done just as well.

I guess I deleted the wrong part of your post - I take issue with your assertion that it was set up that he needed to specifically be assassinated, and as such, they need a badass assassin to do it.

(I'm referring to assassination as a planned surprise attack on an unsuspecting target, not just the murder of a leader)