• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Are groceries in your country or local city at the same prices as before? Is there price gouging going on, that impacts your budget?

Of because your favourite eat-in restaurant(s) is closed, you are not spending as much?

Maybe even because of non-essential travel, you save more on gas these days(as well as because it's so cheap) or because a trip later in the year was cancelled, you have more to put into your savings? Possibly even less material item shopping.

But then again, maybe you are splurging more online, because you are bored and need stuff to do.

What is your situation like, ERA?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's more or less the same.

While there's no more gas expense, we spend more online for stuff (subscriptions, games, model kits, cooking tools). We also still cook as usual.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Was saving more, until my company decided to cut my pay by 15%, and now I'm basically saving as much as I was before. Spending much less overall (no transit pass, no physio) so thankfully I'm not really any worse off, but I do wish I could save more.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Saving more, I might soon end up financially in the best position I've ever been in.

I live on my own and my Job has transitioned well to wfh. I do one shop a week now and can't spend food on takeaways/eating out anymore. I don't drive but I commute via public transport, I'm saving a lot through that alone. Don't order stuff online cause there is no point, delivery dates are like a month for certain items.

I was worried my electricity bill would go up due to my computer being on a lot, but luckily work has covered the costs for the rise it'll cause.

Oct 27, 2017
Around the same, although some grocery stuff has really gone up in price. For example, a dozen eggs has gone from $1.39 to $1.99.
I already worked from home, though.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
My savings account actually has more than $5 in it now. I've been basically hoarding money because I'm still terrified I'm going to lose my job at any moment.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Family is saving more by not eating out or even ordering as much. I'm saving a lot more by not having to spend money on bus rides and Lyfts to work, which were the main thing I spent money on before since my parents don't charge rent.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Saving a lot more (gas, food, social life) but my salary was cut 20% and it's not evening out unfortunately.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
giphy-downsized-large.gif

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Saving a lot more. I haven't gotten gas since March 7th and still have half a tank (live downtown, drive a Honda Civic, grocers and everything I need are literally a few minutes car ride away). I'm making more of my own meals in large batches now. Not many games or movies have interested me, so I have largely been playing old stuff / watching old blurays.

Put it this way, I could pay my rent and most of my bills for the next four months just from my checking account. In normal times that balance would float between $1,500 and $2,000 throughout a given month.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Very little gas, no restaurants, no trips, no movie theater, no activity centers for my kid.

Saving

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Wife got furloughed but between not spending money on daycare and the unemployment boost...probably about the same.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spending more, kids are home, I'm partially furloughed it takes resources to keep everyone fed and engaged every day.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I felt like we were spending alot more. Ordering food more often and buying alot more stuff from webshops etc but somehow despite this we are saving more. I guess not having to pay for stuff like fitness, the cinema, etc saves us alot of money.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Saving more for the following reasons:

-Only eating at home. Cheaper than lunch at work and the occasional restaurant trips.
-No cinema trips.
-Haven't renewed my train subscription.

All prices in shops are the same.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Saving more. We don't leave the house.

Edit: as others said, not buying gas, no movies, no trips, we're not eating out as much. We both still have jobs, so it's still good.

Last edited:

Alligot80

Jan 1, 2018
I guess saving more. Kids are home so spending a lot more on food. I am buying more video games as well, fixing up stuff around the house as well. Saving simply because we aren't running everywhere. My 2 oldest boys play AAU bball and that has been postponed. Gas, hotels, eating out, tourney fees usual run us $1500 a month at least May-July so we have quite a bit extra to spend on some of those other things without feeling guilty

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
Saving ALOT more. Even after having my fiancee get furloughed last week and paying the rent for our home we have saved a few thousand since the shutdown began in PA. The sad part is that we were planning to save for a destination wedding next year and now that planning it is completely shot to hell we could probably save that amount multiple times over of this kind of savings kept up.

We may just spend that money moving and getting a house in Georgia and focus on growing our family after getting married.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saving for sure.
No date nights with the wife, no random restaurant visits, no movies or UFC events at the bar.
No gym fees. I'm spending more on printing paper to keep my kids busy but that is it.

Oct 30, 2017
Saving more overall. Spending more on groceries, games, liquor, cannabis and subscription services for this staycation. But spending significantly less on transit, meals out, fast food/coffee shops, and any kind of recreational trips like films or museums.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
It's about the same. My existing spending habits weren't really of the kind that would've been affected

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
I am moving into my newly built house in June, so I am spending a lot more.

Unfortunately.

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
we are spending a bit more, but making more as well, upgrading a lot of home entertainment stuff.

Real estate is super hot where i am, wife is closing deals like crazy

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I doubled my savings (stuff that's not invested.. my investments took a huge hit). Part of that was from my tax return and bonus from work, but a big part of it has been spending far less and not going out to dinner as much. I'm probably going to try and get my fiancee to keep these habits long term. If my investment accounts recover to pre-covid levels, I'll be doing pretty well. Sucks that it took this to make that happen.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Spending less on entertainment more on food since work has coffee and snacks

Tremagus

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
Spending A LOT more since I had to move from staying with my wife who lives in Mexico and had to get an apartment in El Paso after the border restrictions were put into place. So now we are spending double on food and rent, and the US Govt has decided that I don't qualify for the stimulus payment because I married an immigrant who is in the process of legally immigrating to the US.

I just can't anymore with all this...

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
We're not going on vacations, driving less, and no gym fees are coming out, so I'm saving quite a bit. Almost have my credit card paid off.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spending less, but making less as well...so I guess it's pretty even.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
bit of both, I'm still working so I'm still bringing money in but I've also bought a couple of dumb things that I probably wouldn't have bought any other time.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
We were able to stop our mortgage payments until october so we will be able to clear almost all of our other depts.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I've always felt like I got royally screwed on groceries. Hasn't changed now, except I end up buying more so im going less.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Saving more.

No spending on gas. No restaurants. No activities or events. Or date nights.

Havent encountered price gouging. But groceries are more expensive because my wife is a huge couponer. But now she just buys 2+ weeks of what we will use all at once rather than waiting on prices and going more often and buying bulk when there is a sale.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Saving more. I haven't purchased gas in going on six weeks now. I'm sitting at half a tank. I would've filled up at least twice by now.

Factor in not going out to the movies, dinner, and paying for delivery when I eat at work, I'm saving a decent chunk.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Saving more. Less money spent on gas, restaurants, no movie theaters. I've spent a little more on groceries than I would normally buy, but it's way cheaper than takeout.