• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you return to the movie theaters in 2021

• YES - I will still go enjoy my Theater Experience

Votes: 679 40.7%
  • NO - I will not, it is way too soon

Votes: 899 53.9%
  • Other - Please post explanation in thread.

Votes: 90 5.4%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to go to a theater again, maybe moreso the places like Studio Movie Grill where I enjoy the whole experience. I have my vaccination, but I won't even consider it until there are numbers for my county showing >80% vaccinated.

Oct 27, 2017
I swore off going back to a theatre in 2020 at a very early point in the pandemic. I'm not ready to write off 2021 yet. It'll be a number of months before I get vaccinated, but when I do I'm actively looking forward to the new movie releases. I've found it much easier to be optimistic about this since the year began.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
I got vaccinated and like watching movies in the big screen so I will be going back to theaters.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on whether the "waiting until I'm eligible to get a vaccine + time after vaccine where I'm still nervous about being in an enclosed room with lots of people anyway + all that has passed and there is a movie in theaters I want to see" window of time is long enough to land in 2022 or not.
I only went to the movies like 3 times per year before the pandemic, so I will not be too crushed if I have to wait. I guess that means TLDR yes, I'm okay with not going to one in 2021.

Weaponomega2x

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't really missed going to the theater much over the past year. Whenever a large majority gets vaccinated and cases drop drastically, I could see myself going again. I ceratinly won't be broken up if that doesn't happen this year.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
When I get vaccinated sometime this summer I see no reason why I wouldn't start going back to theaters to watch movies.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should be vaccinated by August, so I will be going back to watching movies at the theater 2-4 times a month. New Bond is at the top of the list.

I haven't sat down and watched a full movie at home in a long while. At a theater it's deeper experience because you're forced to focus, at home, nah. I prefer watching TV series' at home over movies.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I don't care if I ever go to the theater ever again. I haven't had a decent time at the movies since GTOG and Winter Soldier were at the last chance theater that they've since torn down.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck the cinema, if I have the option of watching a new release at home instead of in a cinema with some asshole chomping crisps or nachos behind me with their mouth open I will choose watching something at home every time.

If it wasn't fear of being spoiled then I would happily never watch a movie in a cinema ever again.

Before covid the only movies I did go and see were Marvel and Star Wars, anything else I was more than happy to wait till the bluray release.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even remember the last movie I watched at the cinema (pre-pandemic), so I'm fine without it either way. Home systems have caught up immensely in modern times in terms of video and audio quality, and the "experience" of actually being at the cinema is largely terrible anymore, especially for films that tend to be viewed by larger audiences.

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming my wife get's the vaccine before then, yes (if we have baby sitters lol). I'm already vaccinated. I like going to the Movie Theater and would love to see Spiderman or other movies when it's safe to do so.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Once COVID is mitigated enough I'd go the same way I did right before the virus: For big budget releases that can't wait. It's a cool outing with family/friends and it's nice to mix it up.

They need to make some BIG ass imax screens to get people in those seats.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I don't even remember the last movie I watched at the cinema (pre-pandemic), so I'm fine without it either way. Home systems have caught up immensely in modern times in terms of video and audio quality, and the "experience" of actually being at the cinema is largely terrible anymore, especially for films that tend to be viewed by larger audiences.
My last film was Spider-Man far from home. It would be poetic if my first time back was the new Spider-Man but I'm not sure if this is just Disney caring more about money than safety.

BetoJR

Apr 27, 2020
Fortaleza - CE, Brazil
I have a very big immediate family, which includes three kids (one being a 1yo) and a 74yo parent that needs constant care; I also have prediabetes. As much as I love watching movies and enjoy the "theater experience", expensive popcorn and all, I won't set foot into one anytime soon, specially with an option available to watch most new releases at home. I'm very used to it, by now, anyway.

So, I might get behind on a few stuff (like MCU movies, and such), but I'll live. And that's the point.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got the vaccine a day ago and my family all have their vaccine as well, I would go back but I have HBO Max for the movies that are about to release and maybe later this year something catches my eyes or if I somehow get a date and need some plans.

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went for the free kittykat bracelet. Already vaccinated and had the whole row to ourselves.

WM6wBBZ.jpg

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I took my kids to see Rays and the Dragon and Tom and Jerry.

My local theater is ready, 2/3rd of the seats blocked off, we went during the day for both and there virtually nobody there. It was great.
I miss going with my friend and knocking back beers seeing ridiculous movies. Hopefully we can again soon.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fully vaccinated, my wife got her first shot today. We went to see Nobody last week in CA and there was never anybody within 30 feet or behind a plexiglass window. Seemed safe enough, and will only get safer. Once we're both past the vaccination window, I don't see an issue, especially with the news on transmission reduction for vaccinated folks.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Just a couple months ago I thought maybe late this year. Now? With more good news about the vaccine stopping even asymptomatic infection/spread seeming to hit every few days? I'm closer than ever. If there was anything I really wanted to see in theaters that I couldn't watch at home, I'd seriously consider going in about a week and a half when my vaccine is fully effective. (I got shot 2 of Moderna last Thursday) I might be willing to hit restaurants at that point too frankly. Can't imagine by the time Black Widow hits in July that I won't be going to see it on the big screen instead of paying $30.00 to watch at home.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Just got my vaccine appointment and should be set with a few month buffer before Black Widow so I'm REALLY hoping that case count is down by July and I can just go see it live (at, like, 10 am on a Thursday or something). I probably wouldn't see anything besides that until much later on the year, though.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to go see the Demon Slayer movie next month. My friends and I should all be vaccinated by then, and if the theater is having proper separation of people, i'd be willing to go.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Other

I would go in a month or two if it was just me and my wife. We're both half vaccinated and I'm excited for theaters again. But we have kids who cannot be vaccinated and movies are kinda a family thing with us. Many say kids are fine, not many bad effects, etc. etc. And while I mostly agree, the after effects of covid like MIS-C in children is a very frightening possibility that I am not going to risk for a movie. So we probably wont go back until under 12s can be vaccinated

Last edited:

Rsinart

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who doesn't get to the movies too often, I won't be going for awhile. But I do miss the experience going to a movie is. And watching on a big screen is always fun.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
I went back to the theater yesterday for the first time in over a year to see the movie Nobody and not only was it a fantastic movie, it was great to be back in a theater eating popcorn and soda!

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I chose other. Mainly, I can't see myself going back before December at the earliest, and even then it just depends on what's actually playing. I typically enjoy watching the films with my home setup way more than having to deal with super obnoxious patrons and a subpar screen anymore anyway though. If our local theater had the decent Cinemark XD rooms like they do in Ohio, or other parts of PA, I might reconsider my stance (because the experience in those theaters is generally great).

If the last year has shown me anything, it's that I definitely don't need to go to the theater anymore, and waiting three to six months for the films to become available either digitally or on disc is good enough. I never go to the theaters for "the crowd experience" anyway, because if it's not a rare comedy, it's almost never worth it for that.

I won't set foot into one anytime soon, specially with an option available to watch most new releases at home. I'm very used to it, by now, anyway.

I don't expect this to become the new normal once a semblance of normalcy is attained. The only reason it's happening right now is because there's literally no other option besides simply not releasing anything until theaters can make money again off of their overpriced stale popcorn and sodas.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just booked my seat for Godzilla Vs Kong in Dolby Digital -- can't wait to hear that Godzilla rear in pristine theater-quality audio!

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'll go back for the right experience. I just don't know if theaters will survive long enough.

My Home Theater is sufficient. Actually, a little more than sufficient. Screen experience is comparable with my 160" screen and audio is a few steps above. So idk.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to it now that I'm vaccinated, especially while masks are required. I can't imagine eating indoors though.

That rule still makes zero sense to me. Masks are required, except while "eating and drinking". So what if everyone was eating and drinking for the duration of the film? How does that work exactly?

I'll go back for the right experience. I just don't know if theaters will survive long enough.

My Home Theater is sufficient. Actually, a little more than sufficient. Screen experience is comparable with my 160" screen and audio is a few steps above. So idk.

I don't have a screen that large, but HDR/Dolby Vision on an OLED > random standard digital screen that we have around here. The size doesn't make up for the lack of HDR, worse colors and way worse black levels.

EMBee99

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
I will be fully vaccinated in a couple weeks and, after 28 days, it'll be my birthday and I plan on spending it with my wife at Alamo Drafthouse, eating food and probably watching that new Guy Ritchie/Statham movie with a huge smile on my still-masked face.

I can't wait to go back to the movies.

Oct 29, 2017
That rule still makes zero sense to me. Masks are required, except while "eating and drinking". So what if everyone was eating and drinking for the duration of the film? How does that work exactly?

I don't see how it does. Whether their eating or not doesn't change the fact that their masks still aren't on.

I'm not going until lifting the mask mandates actually make sense.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
Sure. There aren't any movies that I want to see coming out this year anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Girlfriend and I got our shots. Once ours fully kick in we're definitely gonna be down, as long as the venue is still low capacity and distanced.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Nah, the vast majority will be vaccinated by mid Summer. Wife and I will be fully immunized in just a couple of weeks with moderna so we're probably gonna go out starting mid April. Other vaccinated friends of ours are already planning board game and hang outs.

Like I'm all for critisizing the shit out of people not social distancing but remember the point is for herd immunity and health. Once we achieve that via vaccination, it's totally fine to open things up. Actually good for the economy with minimal drawbacks.

That said, with HBO Max releasing most of the Warner Media catalogue for free at home we'll watch far fewer movies in theaters this year but next year I could see it being normal again.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
Other:
I'm going to avoid theaters for the most part of the year, especially now that the second wave is hitting my country. But I'm willing to take a risk for the... four movies that I care. Unless theaters close again, then I would have no choice.

Dec 16, 2017
I believe that the combo of my firmly secured n95 mask and vaccine will be enough protection. I'm saying I don't trust the vaccine enough to be in public without wearing a mask myself.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I will still go to theaters to get the fuck out of the house. Honestly everything being so easy to get at home is a double edged sword. I want to go other places sometimes.

Also so movies will only be releasing in theaters. Snag some bags of popcorn with my family and recline back for a good time.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
pre-covid I probably went to the movies 2-3 times a month, that's not happening once movies open later this year. I'll probably go next year when things are much better. Going to the movies was one of my favorite things. In 2019 I went to the movies 30 times and watched about 50 something movies.

Sleepyhead86

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I'll be back around July. Got my first shot yesterday, get my second in 3 weeks, a few weeks after that, movies should be fair game to me.