• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you return to the movie theaters in 2021

• YES - I will still go enjoy my Theater Experience

Votes: 679 40.7%
  • NO - I will not, it is way too soon

Votes: 899 53.9%
  • Other - Please post explanation in thread.

Votes: 90 5.4%

• Total voters

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
When theaters were open here, 0 cases were tracked back to theaters. Zero. With millions of visitors. Very dangerous to be there though, especially with vaccinations.
Yeah. People are way overestimating the dangers of cinema going.

We had a film festival with 560 screenings during a week and a half in Helsinki last autumn without a single COVID case. That was before any mask recommendations at the cinema so at best like 10% of the audience was wearing a mask. The screenings were 1/3 of normal capacity but half of them were sold out.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Only if Eva 3.0+1.0 is out in the US and I cannot watch it any other legal way before or simultaneously.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Too early to tell, for me.

I would need my vaccine before I even considered going back to a theater, which likely means the summer, at the earliest. Beyond that, I'd be curious what the vaccination rates are in my area, how cautious the theaters are being, etc. Plus, there needs to be actual theatrical releases that I care about.

We do actually have a drive-in theater about 40 minutes away so, if some of the big tentpole movies start heading to theaters (without a streaming option), I may head to the drive-in.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I want to go back as soon as I get vaccinated. I moved over the summer and there's a theater within walking distance but I haven't gotten to go yet.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
I love the movies and so do my wife and daughter. The way Covid numbers are trending and the increasingly good news about the effectiveness of the vaccine preventing illness and transmission are giving me hope that going to the movies by the summer will be possible. We'd still wear our masks if we go in 2021 just as a precaution, but I can 100% see it being safe this year as long as the right safety measures are taken.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This past year has really driven home how much I don't like the movie-going experience. Finding a babysitter (or dragging everyone to a family movie), paying a lot just for a single viewing, expensive treats, having to sit through commercials waiting for the movie to start, no subtitles, can't pause, having to deal with strangers, etc. I hope the attempts to go back to the old system fail and releasing movies to theaters & digital at the same time becomes standard.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
We've had this thread like once every 3 weeks over the last year.

I will absolutely be going back as soon as it's safe, which I am thinking will be late summer/fall.

I've posted versions of this in several past versions of this thread: I maintain that people who are ok with never going to a theater again don't like movies in...to be less incendiary let's say in the same way I do and that I would argue they are best enjoyed. A communal viewing experience in a fully dark room with loud sound and a bright screen and rows of reclining chairs and a show that starts at a certain time and can't be paused 3 times for snacks is the best way to enjoy a movie. Your blackout curtains and OLED and couch are not the same thing. If you disagree and movies/tv/youtube/twitch are all just one thing you consume as a ceaseless river of content—do you but we are very different people, and stop acting like it's insane anybody still wants to go to theaters.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm not going back this year.

I prefer enjoying movies at home more nowadays anyway, but it is still a good way to meet up with friends for dinner and have something to talk about with, so I will go back when the pandemic is under control, but I'm not going to rush back any time this year as I absolutely do not expect this pandemic to be under control this year.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I'm ok watching from home and waiting if necessary from now on. We luckily picked a good time to finish our media room in 2019.

It would be nice to take our daughter out to a theater to see something she's excited about for the experience when she's old enough, but that could be a couple years from now.

Last edited:

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I hardly ever go anyway because my town only gets boring blockbusters. Just not interested in seeing the 50th Marvel or Star War.

Oct 25, 2017
Once me and mine finish our shots, it's back on
Wish the timeline matched up so that we could see Godzilla vs Kong on the big screen but that isnt going to happen, way too soon
But I'll be there for spoderman since that isnt until the end of the year

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The consistency of getting titles and polls backwards on Era, for years, with many members calling it out, is astounding.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Not sure if I'll be comfortable with concerts for a while either.
Though I think ticketmaster is implementing a policy where you have to prove you've gotten your vaccine before you can buy a ticket, and/or get into a venue.
That would help.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Once i'm fully vaccinated, which i'm assuming will happen by the summer.. i'll be living life as normal. So yea i'll definitely be going back to seeing movies in the theatre

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading that title and saying

"I am not okay with not going to movie theaters" makes it sound like people can't live without going to the movies, it just feels silly.

But yeah I'm okay with not going, never really cared for it.

Oct 27, 2017
Probably not, but never say never I suppose. I truly do love the theatrical experience, but I'm not comfortable yet.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Other- I haven't been in a theater for years and probably won't, Covid or not. I am much happier watching movies at home with my own TV, speakers, couch and snacks rather than dealing with other annoying people in the theater.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
So, one vaccine and based on barely any data. Seems like wishful thinking, so why not err on the side of caution then?
You are free to be as cautious as you want but please do not make sweeping proclamations if you aren't sure. The fact is there is evidence that transmission is greatly reduced by the vaccine. It's not definitive but making posts like that scares people unnecessarily who might already have mental health issues.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Not true:

www.google.com

The growing evidence that the Covid-19 vaccines can reduce transmission, explained

Here’s what we know about how the vaccines protect against spread of the virus.
I generally agree with this here:
"Advising people that they must do nothing differently after vaccination — not even in the privacy of their homes — creates the misimpression that vaccines offer little benefit at all. Vaccines provide a true reduction of risk, not a false sense of security," epidemiologist Julia Marcus argued in the Atlantic.
It's good to err on the side of caution (especially in a pandemic) but I fear hammering these unknowns into the public has left many with a sense that the vaccine not preventing transmission is likely or even certain.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I generally agree with this here:

It's good to err on the side of caution (especially in a pandemic) but I fear hammering these unknowns into the public has left many with a sense that the vaccine not preventing transmission is likely or even certain.
TBH I think the whole "erring on the side of caution" is a psychological/enforcement play. Like if we said "ok people who are vaccinated, no more masks" then all the shit heads who don't have a vaccine will just pretend they are vaccinated and flout the rules.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
as soon as I'm able to the main transmission vector was schools, really. other things helped towards exponential growth last autumn, but I think cinemas were pretty low on the list. they were quiewhen I went anyway, seeing tenet shortly after release with only a few people was great, though obviously not sustainable. I may think twice about gigs though until I get a second dose/the johnson and johnson vaccine.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing as I'll most likely be fully vaccinated in May, why wouldn't I go to the theaters sometime later in the year?

Jan 29, 2018
I love going to the movies, but I'll wait and see how the year goes. I have no idea when I'll be able to get vaccinated. Hopefully by July...

For those saying "of course I'm going back to the theater after I'm vaccinated" does it change for you if you still have to wear a mask in the theater? I'm all for the necessity of masks but that seems just uncomfortable enough to not be worth it.

Plus we still need more data about vaccine efficacy about the newer mutations and how long immunity lasts in the first place.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Its really unlikely but I'm also not someone who ever loved to rush to the theater anyways. Always loved watching stuff at home more with a few exceptions. Watching new movies at home on release day is something that I really enjoy

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably be able to count on both hands the number of times I'll go to a movie theater for the remainder of my life. As someone who used to adore the theater experience, I'm completely over it now.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Once vaccines are available to everyone and I have a vaccine in me, of course I'll be going back. I expect that to happen sometime by the end of the summer.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017

I feel that is disingenuous. It's clear the vaccine is effective for you, whether you can still be an effective vector is another thing and that line is mixing the two together. If you only care about yourself, then I guess doing whatever you like after getting vaccinated is fine.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I went to the cinema once every two years before the pandemic. I'll be fine not going to the cinema ever again.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have a projector but I don't have total blackout, and there's just something about having hte volume so high your ears start to bleed that you'll never really replicate unless you live in a house miles from any neighbours.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm team "fuck theaters" so while I'll wind up there again once I'm vaccinated, I really do wish they'd just go the way of the dodo.