• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will you return to the movie theaters in 2021

• YES - I will still go enjoy my Theater Experience

Votes: 679 40.7%
  • NO - I will not, it is way too soon

Votes: 899 53.9%
  • Other - Please post explanation in thread.

Votes: 90 5.4%

• Total voters

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not, since I didn't go to cinemas often even before Covid, but in principle I don't see much of an issue once I've been vaccinated.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Assuming we get the majority of the country vaccinated and no more resistant variants are circulating, numbers are under control, and all other relevant factors are in place, then I am absolutely watching Spiderman in theaters on Christmas day. Hell, I hope that by summer we can have parades and block parties to celebrate victory over this thing.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I voted "other" purely because it's impossible to predict where we'll be throughout the year. There are too many unknowable variables. Months from now what % of people will be vaccinated? Will we have a better understanding of vaccines' ability to prevent vaccinated people from spreading? Will that be good enough? It's impossible to know.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
What is the purpose of the third poll option? It's a Yes/No question.

Yes.
No.
Yes/No???

Anyway, the correct answer is No. Nothing being released this year is an acceptable risk to potentially end up on a ventilator.

it could be "well covid taught me I don't need to go to the theater" as opposed to the hard no of there is still a pandemic.

I would go to drive-in's though. I'll keep doing that this summer.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I would be fine not going back for the year. Obviously, I hope it doesn't come to that, because I love the theater experience and new movies and very much want to go back. But I'm not anxious or impatient to go back. It'll happen when it's safe again.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Love it when the title asks one thing and the poll asks a different one.
Edit: regarding the question, I'll go by the end of the year probably, I miss theaters but I'm in no hurry, we'll see how things are going by the end of the year.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I basically only went to matinees even before then, and it was rare, so this won't change much for me.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
There's no better way to watch a movie than in a great theater with a great crowd. Home viewing gives you more control and less potential for annoying people, but it's a completely throwaway experience. Great theatrical experiences you never forget, and can help define a movie in your memory forever.

Once I'm vaccinated and there's something to see in theaters, I will go see it.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't even think I'll be vaccinated this year, but no even if I am.

I'll keep my lockdown until we are sure about transmission risks for every vaccine.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
For me if me and my friends are vaccinated I am going to go to see certain movies. Dinner and a movie never gets old IMO. I have a nice home theater but you can't recreate that social experience. Its good to get out of the fucking house.

This is me 100%. I love the social outing a movie, and grabbing dinner with some close friends before/after a movie to discuss it, as there are a ton of food options really close to my local AMC. Reserved seating is perfect, especially sometimes if it takes a bit longer, it's not like we ever miss out on our seats.

I'm so used to being at home this whole time that I've adjusted to it, purely out of adaptation, but I realllllly can't wait to get out again :(

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
When you're dirt poor, you learn to be more or less "ok" going without a lot of things. I love film and I love the cinema experience, but I can obviously do without it.

Likely won't be returning to the theater until finances improve. (Which will likely not be before the pandemic abates.)

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Been a few times, so few people (literally one or two others) I have felt safer in a theater than dining

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This is me 100%. I love the social outing a movie, and grabbing dinner with some close friends before/after a movie to discuss it, as there are a ton of food options really close to my local AMC. Reserved seating is perfect, especially sometimes if it takes a bit longer, it's not like we ever miss out on our seats.

I'm so used to being at home this whole time that I've adjusted to it, purely out of adaptation, but I realllllly can't wait to get out again :(
I think a lot of people here like watching movies by themselves on their HDTV at home, and there is nothing with that.

But for me I look forward to dinner and a movie with my wife or friends. Less so for the kids movie and lunch but even that is better than staying at home IMO.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even go to movie theaters often anymore but yes I will be going to movies at the end of the year as long as vaccinations stay on track. To me movie theaters and other large social gatherings (sporting events etc.) is to me a sign of normalcy; there is a psychological component to having certain things return to normal and just deciding "Hey lets go to the movies" is something I want to return to as soon as I feel it is safe to do so. I may go back to only going to a movie like 4-5 times a year again but I just want to feel like its not a major concern again to go back to it.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't the answer be maybe? I don't know how things are going to look 6 months from now let alone what things will be like in December. I'll make the call depending on what the current situation is like. If things look safe, then ya, I'll go back; if not, I'll wait. It's only February so how are we supposed to see into the future for the rest of the year?

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll go back just as soon as my wife (a nurse) gives me the thumbs up. I imagine it will be deemed safe by the fall, at least I hope so.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait for Rogue Squadron to come out. Zero desire to go to theaters again otherwise.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
If there were something I really wanted to see I would go see it. I don't think there is anything coming out this year that I don't want to see that badly though.

I may not go to a theater again until the MCU X-men hit the screen.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I already went and saw Promising Young Woman this year

the only thing stopping me from seeing movies, as usual, is the lack of anything interesting to watch

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I think a lot of people here like watching movies by themselves on their HDTV at home, and there is nothing with that.

But for me I look forward to dinner and a movie with my wife or friends. Less so for the kids movie and lunch but even that is better than staying at home IMO.

Yeah, there's a lot of people on here that either really hate theaters, or just have the preference to watch at home. I still watch a good amount of movies at home, but I like the socializing and just getting OUT factor, plus a giant screen with good sound. My 'home theater' can only replicate it so much.

If anything, I think the poll should've been more directed to theater-people, since the "no" answer seems to be more skewed towards people that barely/never went before, anyways.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's not that I don't want to. It's that I don't see a reason to. I have Disney+ and YouTube. Between the two I have all my media needs met.

There has not been a single non-Disney movie announced that had me interested enough to go to the movies for it. And the Disney ones I can catch on Disney+.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
It appears I will be getting vaccinated on Saturday so in a few months yes I will return to the theaters (also still wearing 2x masks). Combined protections should make it very safe.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
Other - Once I am vaccinated I will be going back to the theater, with a mask of course.

There's a surprising number of people that sound like they aren't going to return to some sense of normalcy even after they get the vaccine.

I plan on at the very least hitting up some movies and eating out, two things I have sorely missed.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's a lot of people on here that either really hate theaters, or just have the preference to watch at home. I still watch a good amount of movies at home, but I like the socializing and just getting OUT factor, plus a giant screen with good sound. My 'home theater' can only replicate it so much.

If anything, I think the poll should've been more directed to theater-people, since the "no" answer seems to be more skewed towards people that barely/never went before, anyways.
I just upgraded my home theater and I love movie nights on the weekends with the family. Its pretty awesome having a great set up at home, but socially it is never the same and I miss that.

Also I am going to be a snob here and say there is nothing wrong with watching a movie at home, but the discussions people then have online with strangers about movies are generally powered by an immense amount of stupidity. One day you are all going to be old and you might regret the amount of time you spent online complaining about Star Wars or Superman.

Not that the conversations me and my friends have are very intelligent, but there are less of us and somehow it tends to be way less stupid when you strip away the anonymity.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's honestly fine if you go at like 3pm on a weekday. At least in my town you have the whole auditorium to yourself

im at much greater risk at my day job

i love the theater experience, my home set up will never be superior for me. I love that the film consumes all my senses and there's no temptation to look at my phone or pause the film to break focus

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I quit going years ago. I find the whole concept kind of gross and overpriced. I have a nice home theater and sound set up and little need to see movies the moment they come out. A good thing to come from the pandemic is it has made movies available day 1 at home making it even better so if there happens to be a movie I want to see right a way, I can without having to go to the theater.

Last edited: