• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you more attracted to realistic or cartoony games?

• Realistic

Votes: 149 34.8%
  • Cartoony

Votes: 279 65.2%

• Total voters

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The more cartoony a game is the more the art style can become a turn off HOWEVER if the art style is good I'll like it better than a realistic art style, if that makes any sense?

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I am strongly biased towards cartoony visuals. Games with good art styles can grab my initial interest on visuals alone, while realistic games need to put in a little more work to get my attention.

People having a problem with the word cartoony is funny to me. Bro you just like stuff that looks like cartoons, you'll live.

Yea, people should embrace it. Cartoons are great.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
Cartoony all the way. Not even "stylized" such as modern FF.
DQXI is just simply gorgeous.
I'm excited for the rumored FFIX remake, because If it's really happening, it will likely retain its cartoony art.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

jennifer-lopez-arms-crossed.gif

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
Realistic. That's why I don't enjoy Arkane games as much as I I would like to.
All the time while I was playing Prey I was thinking"imagine this game with the style of Alien Isolation"

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately I don't care between the two specifically, but I'm generally not gonna like a realistic game if it's trying to be actually realistic with its look. Capcom's "realistic" graphics, for instance, are the kinda stuff I like.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Typically stylized games are more appealing to me, but I dig realistic when done with as much detail and care as something like GTA V

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I can play a game with any graphical style but if it's a game world I'm supposed to get lost and immersed in I would always want a realistic look. Cartoony enemies are the worst offender for me. I can play and enjoy something like dragon quest or BotW but they have zero atmosphere.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Cartoony. Grew up write cartoon style and it's just more fun to look at. There's so much untapped cartoon art or anime styles that haven't been translated to games yet, especially ones that take advantage of hardware.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Cartoony. Realistic i only prefer in very specific genre like horror. Ultimately both are good but since i grew with cartoons, comics, bd and manga i'll always favor this kind of styles.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Oh it's realistic all day for sure. I dig a comic book aesthetic or cell-shading done reaaaally cleanly (BL3 manages their signature look very well) but 9 times outta 10 i'd go for the realistic more than cartoony purely for my own ability to be immersed.
But i've been playing Rock and Stone lately and the way they present the lobby and the menus and everything is so well done it's incredibly immersive and I would say fairly cartoony in the graphics department, so it's not a hard set rule.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Whatever you'd call Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy.

It's not "cartoony" necessarily, but it's a far cry from being "realistic" too. It's got realistic lighting, reflections, textures, and human models but highly stylized levels and characters and assets. Halo is another example of...I don't know. Grunt's aren't realistic at all, but the trees and mountains and explosions are all highly detailed and realistic within their setting I guess. This is not a black or white thing to me at all.

1280x720.jpg

ign-banished-marine-grunt-1636649328303.png

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
im-attracted-to-both-of-them-crush.gif

I can appreciate both if the art direction is well-realized and balanced.

Usually, it's the overly stylized games that turn me off. Things like Bravely Default and its creepy chibi characters, or the mountain-like humans from Gears of War. Not good!

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Cartoons don't belong in videogames. Unless they are being rendered realistically.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind both, but being into art since I could pick up a crayon, I'll always prefer something with a more creative artistic LOOK. That said, even with cartoony styles, I like variety. I don't like everybody hopping on a popular trend or samey looking anime characters. Unique look > garden variety look.