• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You ever have a dog that accidentally bit your finger a little bit while you were wrestling together with a rope? Or a cat who scratched a little too much with its claws while playing? Well multiply that times 100, and that's what a similar incident would be like with a bear.

Also, I kind of disagree out of principle with these wildlife rescue people who interact with their animals so much and share videos about it. It seems unprofessional, at best, but at worst, it seems like it's encouraging an industry that's more about people being able to own wild animals, rather than people actually doing what's best for the animals.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I can see the argument that they could be understaffed. It is basically two people running it:

I don't know if it is bad practice for a rehabber to fraternize with any animal too much, but the very least, they don't do it with animals set to be released. Those do have mostly just each other for company:

So yeah, I can see arguments against how they handle things but there is still a giant distance between them and someone like Grizzly Man. That was a dude bothering animals in the wild. That bar is too low. Also between them and Tiger King style private zoo garbage but I digress.

There is of course inherent danger when dealing with wild animals even if raised from birth, but I disagree with people thinking that this old couple is as likely to die as someone like Grizzly man. At the very least they should have more than enough experience to read the behavior of the animal and know when to back the fuck off.

It seems like they've been doing this for a very long while too

This is a fair criticism. I guess this would also be applicable to someone like Kevin Richardson and even something far more tame, like this guy

Never really thought about it before when watching a million and something vids of this nature on YT, really. This is most likely far from the intention of people behind most of these vids (not talking about ones by actual pet owners, fuck that), but yeah, a lot of people could watch these kinds of vids while ignoring the obvious context that they couldn't and shouldn't replicate that.

Would have no problem cuddling with cheetahs. Feels like I could at least come out of it alive if they chose to attack me.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Aww, bears a re so cutsie putsie wootsie, aaaaw.. AWWWWWWWWWWWWW

No. I actually respect bears. They're not Disney characters.
Great that he has that relationship. But they're rare and take time.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Its cool to see. The people who raise lions similar to this make me super jealous because I adore big cats.

But they're still wild animals with instincts. I love bears but wouldn't get that close.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
To be able to to cuddle and play with big chonky bears with no repercussions and threat to life.
First mistake is in thinking there is no threat to life when you are in the vicinity of any carnivorous animal large enough to pose a threat, particularly wild animals. There is always a risk.

But to answer the question, no. If nothing else, dudes like this come off as ridiculous.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That sentence was a mistake.

What I meant to say was "doing that without getting torn to shreds on the spot"
Haha, fair enough.

I won't lie, there's some child-like part of me that would love to be able to touch a grizzly bear or a big cat. But the rational side of me is always like "Remember Timothy Treadwell."

I'd ultimately rather hug a baby harp seal anyway. Perfect creatures.

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Haha, fair enough.

I won't lie, there's some child-like part of me that would love to be able to touch a grizzly bear or a big cat. But the rational side of me is always like "Remember Timothy Treadwell."

I'd ultimately rather hug a baby harp seal anyway. Perfect creatures.
Also to be perfectly honest, this whole thread was nothing but an elaborate excuse to post big chonky bears on ResetERA