• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you interested in a full AAA Half Life VR prequel to 2?

• I have a headset and I am already sold

Votes: 325 18.1%
  • I will literally buy a headset and/or PC for this game

Votes: 206 11.5%
  • I'd be interested if VR was cheaper

Votes: 432 24.1%
  • I'd be interested if VR was more advanced

Votes: 113 6.3%
  • I have no interest

Votes: 639 35.7%
  • I'd be interested if it was Half Life 3 VR

Votes: 76 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I believe opinions are going to dramatically shift after gameplay, so I'm curious enough to make a thread before it gets revealed at the Game Awards, as I expect Thursday will be a tease potentially with no gameplay.

Chunchun

Jun 9, 2019
Half Life 1 and 2 was a revolution for FPS games. I'm sure Half Life Alyx will be a revolution for VR games. I'm interested for sure.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in as long as it is a SteamVR title and not an Index tittle, although this game was obviously developed alongside the Index kit, so I'll probably not get 100% of the experience.

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I'm interested in half life, but I'm not interested in spending a truck load of money to upgrade my PC and buy the headset.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Half Life 1 and 2 are two of my favourite gaming memories ever, but I last've been wowed them in the last decade, and the next game in the franchise is gonna be in the next decade possibly. In theory, I care. In practice, we'll see how 16 or more years of evolution of gaming influenced this project, whether it's a full-blown ambitious game or just a padded tech demo, whether this truly brings the Half-Life franchise forward or is content just rehashing stuff. Half-Life 1 and 2 are nothing alike, and I sure hope that after this long of wait a new Half-Life (mainline or otherwise) dares going the bare minimum.

The fact it's a VR game diminishes my interest, that's for sure, but if it's good I'll play it either way.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not at all. I liked hl1 but found hl2 to be a big disappointment so I have no real interest in the series.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i'd be interested if it wasn't exclusive, which it clearly will be. there's no way i'm building a PC and buying their headset for a VR half life spin off.

i do hope it succeed's though so that they get some confidence back regarding their IP and maybe make an actual sequel? that would be nice.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Maybe next year when it releases there will be a great budget VR headset option. If so, I'll probably buy it.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm totally interested in the game itself, of course. I love Half-Life.

But whether I will buy it, probably not, being a VR only game. I've got a top end PC that would have no issue running this but currently no VR headset. And to be honest, the last time I owned a VR headset (PSVRv1 with PS4 Pro) I was very unimpressed by the overall experience, it was a pain to set up each time with the external box, wires and all that nonsense, I had issues with drifting, I just ended up selling it in the end as I hadn't used it in so long - and have never looked back. I think "can't be arsed" would describe how I felt about playing VR. Whilst VR can bring some wonderful and unique and highly immersive experiences, ultimately I still prefer to lounge on the couch and just sit back and enjoy gaming the old school way.

Quest intrigues me though as it is so simple and totally wire-free, but obviously Half-Life Alyx is going to be a AAA experience wanting a top-end VR headset. I also have a toddler at home now, so the idea of playing VR during the day is basically non-existent.

Maybe one day, but not any time soon. If Portal 3 was happening too then that would probably be enough to tip me over the fence though.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
No. I don't have a PCVR headset and I don't intend to buy one in the near future. I also stopped caring about HL a while ago.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will buy a headset for it, just not at launch. Probably whenever I get around to doing a rig upgrade.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
No PCVR, only PSVR and only am interested in PSVR2 and Occulus Quest 2 next so my interest in it has no relevance as i don't think i'm the intended audience.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely in for this. I bought a Rift S recently and I've been loving it. This is just going to be another game to play on that headset, and a groundbreaking Valve game at that.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I'm interested to see what they do with it. I don't have a VR headset, and no current plans to buy one - But I guess if anything would make me care about VR, it's Half Life. If there will be some more affordable VR headsets next year, and the game looks good, I'll be there.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. I'm not interested in anything Half-Life anymore. That ship has sailed.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm very interested - we will see what Source 2 Engine can do with a new in house first person shooter, we will see how Valve will advance VR from a gameplay perspective and we will finally have another glimpse into the Half Life Universe.

If this project looks as promising as it does in my head, I will jump onboard the VR train for this.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Well see, I already have a PSVR but I'd love and excuse to get into the PCVR world. But with next gen on the horizon, money is a bit tight.
I'll be honest, after playing all the HL games for the first time a few years ago, I've never really cared for more games in the franchise but I'm glad Valve is actually doing something other than DOTA for once.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested and look forward to what they'll do with it, but I don't plan to get a headset any time soon. Not salty about it being VR-only. I bet they'll be able to do some really wild things by building it for VR from the ground up.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I wouldn't be interested if it was Half Life 3 VR. The VR part is what annoys me. I prefer non-VR games.

So no, I'm not interested in the slightest way.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
This place really kinda sucks for being excited and talking about PC games, huh.
Not sure why anyone would be disinterested in seeing what Valve of all devs would do with a full fledged VR title.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
I still have no interest in VR.

Maybe I could change my mind if I had a dedicated VR room at home.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Interested, but I am waiting for better quality headsets before I'll buy in to VR, mostly down to fight-sims holding back my purchase.
They are not quite there, almost, tried a few friends one's recently at home and it's great everywhere else.

I knew this would happen one day, a game franchise I want to play but getting locked out because it requires something else, and that something else is a VR Headset. Only managed to play and finish Lone Echo because I had my friends for a week.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
Can't really justify spending the money on a VR headset right now. I have a kid, so my gaming time is super limited, let alone time I can spend wearing a helmet that shuts you off from the outside world completely.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I lost my faith in Valve years ago. But if they drop their next "Valve-hit", this could be a reason to get into VR.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I very much want to play. I own the Vive but my parents moved and it's sitting in a garage in a box with a ton of other things. If it no longer functions I'll probably get a new headset.

Kamion

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I currently have no interest at all in VR or owning a gaming PC. That might change someday but as of now I just have no interest in this whatsoever.

Someday there will be a VR game in a franchise I really need to play for some reason or another, but Half Life isn't it anymore. It's been too long and I can't bring myself to care at all anymore.

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
I've been eyeing up a Quest recently and with this news and with Oculus Link now in beta I think I'll bite the bullet. There might even be some deals this Black Friday.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Very excited, but I'm also privileged enough to own a few VR headsets. A groundbreaking VR title from Valve will be an incredible experience, I have no doubt, but I'm worried that this might be the most price-gated AAA game of all time.

Oct 25, 2017
I love VR but I only own PSVR at this point. I do have a high-end PC though so I might bite if what they'll show is impressive.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
if it wasn't VR, I'd be all over it.
Because it's VR, my interest is minimal and I highly doubt I'll invest in the neccessery hardware for it.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I chose "more advanced", by which I mean "I can't play anything that moves because of VR motion sickness issues", which sucks big time and prevents me from ever getting into VR for now.

And no, "practise" doesn't work :p

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I might be interested if I can get a cheap headset, but I need to see the game first before deciding. So far VR has been too gimmicky and clunky to get me onboard, with little software aside from Astro Bot I'm interested in.

I'm mildly curious about this, but not hyped in any way.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very curious to see what kind of game it will be. Am I interested in it? Well, interested in seeing it. Not interested in playing, becasue I don't have VR and wouldn't buy one just for one game, even if it turns out to be the killer app for VR.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Without knowing anything at all, except for it being a VR game, my interest is at a "zero".

I'd love a real episode 3, but this doesn't spark any interest.