• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I'm very interested in Chinese culture. When it comes to "Chinese" culture though most forget that it's a massive nation with a very diverse population. Also it's not just the mainland. They have very serious problems with racism/bigotry. There's lots of good, and lots of bad. It's important to understand both rather than just be obsessed with Chinese celebrities and food.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I could see Amazon's adaptation of the 3 Body Problem blowing up and being the next Game of Thrones. Chinese cultural exports have barely begun to hit the west.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I could see Amazon's adaptation of the 3 Body Problem blowing up and being the next Game of Thrones. Chinese cultural exports have barely begun to hit the west.
I think the Amazon series rumor was squashed. There's a movie, but I read it's been postponed indefenitely due to internal problems and apparently the first cut was aweful.

I've got to finish the book. I'm about 90% through, but I misplaced it :-( Phenomenal book so far though.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes when you read news from China, you see articles on how China wants to boast its softpower all around the world since they are already a developed nation.

I'd have to stop you right there. In what way is China a developed nation? Vast areas of China are still incredibly poor, living standards on average are still sub-par when compared to the West or Japan/Korea, China is being ruled by a cruel dictatorship with over a Million people in concentration camps or worse, there is no rule of law and I could go on and on.

I don't know where you live, but please snap out of your fantasy. Let's hope China becomes a developed, free nation one day but we are still way far off.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Of course I care about Chinese culture. Few nations are on the same level as China in terms of their contributions to art and history. And no, I'm not just referring to the hundreds of years that they truly embodied the term "middle empire". If you have more than a cursory interest in any art form beyond the output of the west you're invariably going to come in contact with China. Some of the finest world literature (Dream of the Red Chamber is one obvious example) is Chinese. A significant number of the best films of the late 20th century are Chinese (my personal favorite is Raise the Red Lantern, but I think most people would say Farewell, My Concubine here). Film buffs in particular are sacrificing a lot if they ignore Chinese contributions to the medium. China also has one of the richest musical traditions in the world; no summary I could put here would do it justice. All this to say nothing of the incredible beauty and diversity of China itself.

I find it absolutely fascinating to watch people unable to separate the Chinese government from the Chinese people. The Chinese people are no more their government than the American people are Trump. In fact, there's a good argument to be made that they're even more removed from their government since Trump was at least democratically elected. People here could certainly use a reminder that nobody voted for Xi. It makes me wonder if a lack of exposure to Chinese culture enables people to depersonalize the over one billion Chinese and conflate them with their government. It may at this point be prudent to point out that the primary victims of the Chinese government are the Chinese people.

The statement "I don't care about Chinese culture because of the Chinese government" is unfathomably ignorant. It is one thing to not know about a culture - this is perfectly reasonable and indeed probably unpreventable - it's entirely another to try to justify your ignorance on the basis that it is somehow moral to be ignorant of the culture because the government is quite horrible.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'd have to stop you right there. In what way is China a developed nation?

i'm not an economist but as a culture-watcher i'd say this makes them so:
Chinese shoppers are responsible for a third of global luxury sales, according to a report by the consultancy Bain and Italian luxury federation Altagamma. That translates to over $7 billion a year, according to McKinsey.
Bain predicts that Chinese shoppers will account for half of all luxury spending by 2025.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like the food, a handful of their kung-fu and martial art movies and red envelopes. Other than that, not much else. More interested in Japan.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I care about the cultures and people in China that the government is in the process of destroying and killing.

Days after the fire at Notre Dame, China destroyed a beautiful 800-year-old mosque in Xinjiang. A million Uighurs are in concentration camps for the sole "crime" of having a non-state-sanctioned culture.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I think a trip to Beijing would already be about equal as far as my desire to go in comparison to Paris if not for the visa needed for China. It's why Hong Kong is higher on the list and maybe even higher than Paris.

Id like to see the wall, the forbidden city, some old castles, try local food, do some shopping, and other tourist crap, but i dont care about Chinese culture really. I enjoy some of their action/kung fu cinema but outside of that cant say their pop culture interests me either.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Sure I do. I'm always interested in learning about other cultures. Also, a trip to Beijing sounds 1000 times more interesting to me than a trip to Paris /shrug

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
Contemporary culture? Not so much; has too much of a Stepford Wives-vibe to me.

Ancient culture? Hell yeah but overall I'm much more of a Japanophile.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
I care about Chinese culture, but I lived in Hong Kong and Taiwan for eight years and visited the Mainland prior to that. Good luck getting your average not-connected-to-China-at-all American - probably a decent representation of many of the posters on this board - to legitimately care about most cultures outside of the US, especially those controlled by communist governments.

I think if China's softpower exports were a bit better and more accessible for mainstream nerdy audiences - ie, if they had stuff like anime/manga and K-pop - then the average ERA user would pay more attention to what's going on there. Even then, though, you might have problems because of the distrustful attitude most Americans have towards communism.

Feb 21, 2019
You as a user, do you care about what happens in China? Like in every day life, or in movies or music?
I made it to Hong Kong and Beijing awhile back. I think its important to understand the world and all of its cultures regardless of size. That said, China is of critical importance because due to its large economy, it will start to matter what occurs there. The government will change alot of it though, but its still worth knowing about.

Anyone with any worldly sense knows this.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Absolutely. South/East/and Southeastern Asia and Central/South America interest me more than anything in the European continent with the exception of Champions League.

And the same old criticisms about China are boring to me. Yes, they've got problems. So what. We've all problems.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. South/East/and Southeastern Asia and Central/South America interest me more than anything in the European continent with the exception of Champions League.

And the same old criticisms about China are boring to me. Yes, they've got problems. So what. We've all problems.

The, "we've all got problems, so there are no problems" mentality has never resonated with me. Just another form of whataboutism.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
The, "we've all got problems, so there are no problems" mentality has never resonated with me.
I approach the criticisms through a lens of American exceptionalism, so i see nothing but hypocritical grandstanding instead of well thought out reasoning. Obviously not always the case.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I approach the criticisms through a lens of American exceptionalism, so i see nothing but hypocritical grandstanding instead of well thought out reasoning. Obviously not always the case.

Each comes with their own set of rather different problems. It's not hypocritical unless you're criticizing identical problems for one side but not your own.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Does China even really care about Chinese culture? The government seems to be pretty into the whole cultural erasure thing.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
China's got over a thousand years of history and culture. There's bound to be something of interest there.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
China has a nice history but the trend of the government trying to clean and/or erase the cultural heritage is kind of mind-boggling.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
My son's mother is Chinese and he is very interested in learning about his heritage on both sides, but as his mother is no longer in the picture to help him learn about those things it's fallen to me, and I've developed quite an interest, so yeah I do care about it.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
User Banned (2 Months): Repeated history of inflammatory generalisations and degradation of Chinese culture and people.
Sometimes when you read news from China, you see articles on how China wants to boast its softpower all around the world since they are already a developed nation. I mean its the logical step. Especially with their goal of overtaking the USA; not only economically but also from a cultural point of view. Clearly in terms of software China will never succeed in that regard but do you think China has a chance to become a global powerhouse in terms of softpower? For example, will a trip to Beijing will ever be as interesting for tourists as a trip to Paris? Will China become relevant enough?

You as a user, do you care about what happens in China? Like in every day life, or in movies or music?

No, as somebody from an ethnic Chinese background, I constantly want to distance myself from their embarrassing culture and conduct. It's horrible authoritarianism mixed with all the most embarrassing aspects of capitalism's duhumanizing 'I got mine' mentality. You see people running over children in cars and hosting celebratory dog-eating festivals. I find myself being mortified and ashamed at their society at every turn. I'm horrified at their no-dignity behavior. There's literally no art, literature, or contemporary culture to be proud of. I really feel that any identification with China diminishes me to an almost sub-human barbaric level.

Traditional culture may be different, but the current regime in mainland China truly brings me sorrow.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
No, as somebody from an ethnic Chinese background, I constantly want to distance myself from their embarrassing culture and conduct. It's horrible authoritarianism mixed with all the most embarrassing aspects of capitalism's duhumanizing 'I got mine' mentality. You see people running over children in cars and hosting celebratory dog-eating festivals. I find myself being mortified and ashamed at their society at every turn. I'm horrified at their no-dignity behavior. There's literally no art, literature, or contemporary culture to be proud of. I really feel that any identification with China diminishes me to an almost sub-human barbaric level.
Jeezus.

When was the last time there was a dog eating festival? Thought that got stamped out.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
My son's mother is Chinese and he is very interested in learning about his heritage on both sides, but as his mother is no longer in the picture to help him learn about those things it's fallen to me, and I've developed quite an interest, so yeah I do care about it.

I just want to say that what you're doing for your son is really cool.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I took some Chinese history and culture courses late in my college career. I found them interesting academically but as far as personal interest goes, no, I'm not really interested in Chinese culture-at-large modern or otherwise.

I like some Hong Kong/Taiwanese cinema and Taiwanese history is very interesting to me. Academically speaking China is a fascinating place that more people should study and learn about. But my interest is pretty purely educational, not really tied to direct interest on a personal level.

erpg

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Nope. The fact that Chinese medicine still exists and is being encouraged by the government has turned me off.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
am ethnically chinese
already been to china many times, of course there are still lots of things to see
imo they shouldn't really care about other people and countries' opinions that much, trying too hard to pander to others just comes off as douchey, and add to the fact the government isn't even doing that part well

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Jeezus.

When was the last time there was a dog eating festival? Thought that got stamped out.

Watch this. :(

I desperately wish as a third generation Chinese American who speaks absolutely no Chinese, that I had no connection to that culture. I am just ashamed of it.

From their ridiculous reaction to Winnie the Pooh memes, to their treatment of minority groups and Western Turkishstan and Tibet, to seeing footage of mainland tourists behavior, I just can't. I feel like part of the worst perversion of humanity.

Last edited:

Lady Catherine de Bourgh

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
A little I guess. Currently watching Chinese drama's and they are awesome. Legend of Zhenhuan, Story of Yanxi palace and Ruyi's Royal love in the palace. Also I watched Raise the red lantern as a teen and that movie made a huge impression on me. Still love it to bits.

Oct 25, 2017
China has a long and rich history. I think that's interesting enough, and I'd like to see some of its ancient structures and artifacts. So I suppose you could say I am interested in that aspect of culture. I can't say I listen to much music produced from China, or play many games. I have enjoyed some martial arts films that came out of China, and like watching martial arts in general. Lastly I enjoyed learning some of China's ancient philosophers, and reading a few of their more well known texts.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to find a lot of the tech stuff coming out of China super fascinating. Pop culture doesn't interest me too much as I'm not to familiar with the kind of stuff China puts out besides a few Chinese video games.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
As it's defined in the OP, no I don't care. Chinese movies and music is certainly less globally influential than, say, Indian movies and music, which has a lot more broad interest in the West.

But, I am interested in how Chinese people live their lives, what their political and social aspirations are, and other facets of life in China. It's just nothing more than a trivial, passing interest. I think China may interest me more than some other cultures just because of the radical transformations it's undergone in the last century. The prior 100 years of Chinese history have been both devastating and reformative, more so than any other large culture/country in the world... And there's something unique to that. China has been a sort of petri-dish of social engineering experiments over the last century, and I wish that I could see it from the perspective of a 500-year lens or something, instead of seeing a lot of this transformation contemporaneously.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I don't know that China has any intent to export their culture outside of maintaining a system of control over the diaspora.
It's not like the US and how we weaponize American culture as a tool to spread "freedom".

Oct 27, 2017

I desperately wish as a third generation Chinese American who speaks absolutely no Chinese, that I had no connection to that culture. I am just ashamed of it.

From their ridiculous reaction to Winnie the Pooh memes, to their treatment of minority groups and Western Turkishstan and Tibet, to seeing footage of mainland tourists behavior, I just can't. I feel like part of the worst perversion of humanity.

Jeez temper that self-hate, dude.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Jeez temper that self-hate, dude.

It just hurts to feel like I'm assumed to be complacent with a society that ferociously censors any attempt at self critique. Artists are barred and sometimes jailed for taking a stance and making a statement. If it is like that, there will be no authentic voices. My trips to Mainland China have been extremely troubling, to say the least. And I just wish that despite my physical appearance, I could distance myself myself. They'll never accept me there, but because of their conduct and posturing, they make it more difficult to feel like I'm home in my own country, and I'm bitter at that.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019

There ARE good things too, breh.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
There's literally no art, literature, or contemporary culture to be proud of. I really feel that any identification with China diminishes me to an almost sub-human barbaric level.

It sounds like you have some underlying psychological issues to work through. I mean this earnestly and without judgment.